Sponsored by:

Steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by *208*
Yes sir. I wanted them to match my front & rear shocks that I just received. Call it OCD.
I know that feeling...

Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Ya know..... with dual steering stabilizers, you are going to need dual front shocks too.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
*208*
Junior User
Originally Posted by IMASAP
Ya know..... with dual steering stabilizers, you are going to need dual front shocks too.
Haha!!! Why do you think I went with dual stabilizers.... They will match my dual fronts.

Boy is this forum dangerous...zero to poor in 3.9seconds. LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I need to replace my OEM one... My steering is loose as high speeds it feels like it's really windy. Anything you guys would recommend for me? Budget, almost no off-roading, almost no towing (and if ever nothing as large as We3zs), and I won't go to large on tires either. My main thing is being able to do 70 safely and look good doing so

Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I need to replace my OEM one... My steering is loose as high speeds it feels like it's really windy. Anything you guys would recommend for me? Budget, almost no off-roading, almost no towing (and if ever nothing as large as We3zs), and I won't go to large on tires either. My main thing is being able to do 70 safely and look good doing so
Save a little and do the Bilsteins... As far as doing 70 safely have someone else drive

Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Save a little and do the Bilsteins... As far as doing 70 safely have someone else drive
We're in different tax brackets

You see I make what the guy in the front makes, and you have what Mrs. Daisy has lol.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM
GTFun06
Senior User
Budget one... try KYB SS10309. Nothing great... but cheaper than the motorcraft part #...which is probably a Monroe or Gabriel part. Heck probably so is the KYB.

I ended up just putting a Motorcraft one on my Ex a few weeks ago as it was actually dripping oil out of it! Now that is a good used shock! Well, I have installed them on many of 4x4s...dual setups, high end mono setups, stock equivalents...(on lifted trucks and Jeeps) and honestly, never been able to tell 1 lick of difference in how it steers or handles on the road. Off road, you can tell a little as it stabilizes the tie rod from swinging the steering wheel back... But on concrete, no difference in my opinion. Especially not driving straight down the road...maybe if you were cranking the wheel for a u-turn, it might center the wheel a little nicer. I think it could be a little placebo effect when I read people saying it made "such a difference in driving" but hey that's just my .02.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Anyone have the PN for the Bilisten?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:13 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTFun06

Well, I have installed them on many of 4x4s...dual setups, high end mono setups, stock equivalents...(on lifted trucks and Jeeps) and honestly, never been able to tell 1 lick of difference in how it steers or handles on the road. Off road, you can tell a little as it stabilizes the tie rod from swinging the steering wheel back... But on concrete, no difference in my opinion. Especially not driving straight down the road
This is correct. A correctly aligned front end in good condition with good tires/wheels should behave this way. So many folks use stabilizers to mask looseness or death wobble symptoms instead of fixing the problem. They are great however if you're in situations where the steering wheel may have a tendency to be jerked out of your hand.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Exactly- good response. They only really help when you hit a rock, or the edge of a driveway, or a railroad track, to keep the wheel from jerking in your hand. Blown around in the lane, or uneven surface road is not where the stabilizer works.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
My main thing is being able to do 70 safely and look good doing so
So, you mean when Mrs. Apoc drives?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM
GTFun06
Senior User
If you are wanting something that "looks" a notch above an OEM, here are some options- All single shocks, and probably considered a notch above OEM - but again... you probably won't notice any difference. If you want something around $35...Pro Comp makes a couple I think...

$75+ range: Bilstein: BIL24-158848 OR BIL24-158930
$55+ range: Fabtech: FABFTS7001
$45+ range: Skyjacker: SKY7099 OR SKY9000

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now your talking!!! PM me your address or just text it! I'll send you the $40 difference... My gift for your new Ex!

Life's short Don't Settle!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Bilisten it is

Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Now your talking!!! PM me your address or just text it! I'll send you the $40 difference... My gift for your new Ex!

Life's short Don't Settle!
Nah, I wouldn't have settled anyway I've picked up to many of your "bad habits". I will be sending you a text today though, I need to talk to you if you're free

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer