Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

It goes to 11!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
It goes to 11!

Ford has taken out a patent for an 11 speed transmission. Not sure what these will be out in but they might be going into the 2017 or later trucks.

Ford Just Got A Patent For An 11-Speed Transmission

11-Speed Automatic Transmission Patent Filed by Ford Motor Company With the USPTO - autoevolution

Old 04-11-2015, 06:09 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
I once had a driving instructor that used to yell at me: "More speed, more fun!!"
I assume this is what he was talking about. I had a hard time understnaind anything else he said, he had a really strong accent, he had only move recently from Hong Kong.

So I guess,

Old 04-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
I'm not going to be surprised that in just a few years maybe upwards of 10, automatic transmissions will have upwards of 18-20 gears. But at some point the laws of diminishing returns will rear its head and by then it'll be pointless to have so many gears. Might happen before then. I don't know how CVTs compare or how well they do overall compared to geared transmissions.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
CVT's are a great idea, but it seems they haven't been able to make them work in higher torque applications for a reasonable cost.
I have no doubt within my lifetime they will be offered in pickup trucks, and honestly, assuming they are durable, that's a great idea. I'd buy one.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My Murano has a CVT in it and it works very well. It is a 2011 and the 2015's are supposed to give at least 2 MPG better with the same engine - just a better CVT. Max tow capacity is 3500 lbs with it, just like every other SUV that's built on a car chassis.

I like the CVT but the computer leaves a lot on the table. For instance, from a stop I've not found a way to hang the R's at, say, 3000 to take advantage of the torque. If you don't dip into the throttle pretty well the R's will drop quickly, but if you do push the throttle the R's will climb well above 3000. There's just nothing between.

But, if they get the programming sorted the CVT could be really good for the smaller engines which need to stay "on the boil" so need the gearing.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with a CVT is it kills all the joy of driving. The engine RPM goes to redline and just sits there. There's no "character" left.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by tvsjr
The problem with a CVT is it kills all the joy of driving. The engine RPM goes to redline and just sits there. There's no "character" left.
It does go to the redline and just sit there at WOT. But that doesn't mean there's no character in the vehicle. That's a bit like saying there's no character because there's no V8 exhaust note.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Vehicles with CVT are geared really high right? If they are they would have to come up with a way to make them a contender for work trucks. Best thing I can think of maybe an HMT (hydraulic mechanical transmission/hydrostatic). Really hope that whatever or however this new transmission is, its as reliable as the E4OD (4R100) and not end up being a complete nightmare for Ford and the buyers.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Vehicles with CVT are geared really high right? If they are they would have to come up with a way to make them a contender for work trucks. Best thing I can think of maybe an HMT (hydraulic mechanical transmission/hydrostatic). Really hope that whatever or however this new transmission is, its as reliable as the E4OD (4R100) and not end up being a complete nightmare for Ford and the buyers.
Not always. There's no real connection between the use of a CVT and the rear axle ratio as they vary by vehicle. But, it is significant to note that Nissan, which is seriously into CVT's, hasn't put one in their Titan truck. Yet.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM
usedup
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once upon a time I had a Ford Five Hundred with the CVT. But not for long. Worst new vehicle ever.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
usedup
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once upon a time I had a Ford Five Hundred with the CVT. But not for long...worst new vehicle ever.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
It does go to the redline and just sit there at WOT. But that doesn't mean there's no character in the vehicle. That's a bit like saying there's no character because there's no V8 exhaust note.
Well, that's also true, but that's a different argument. Disclaimer: I would buy an Ecoboost if I bought a new truck... but if I was buying a "driver's car" - something to play with on the weekends, I'd want that V8 exhaust noise (with supercharger whine, preferably).

Maybe I just haven't driven a "good" one... but I've ended up with CVTs in several rent cars and was always completely unimpressed. Nissan's 2-speed CVT is really goofy... it's a CVT that still has a "shift" in it. Odd.

I also think the EVs like the Tesla don't have much character. They do the job, quite well even... but there's very little skill required to drive the vehicle.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
I've had to test drive customer cars when I worked at a tire shop especially to turn off TPMS lights and I know what you mean about Nissan CVTs. I'd probably just prefer an 8+ speed automatic rather than something that keeps the RPMs way up. I think the only electric car that has any character would be the Tesla Roadster, just because I have a bit of a soft spot for the Lotus Elise body.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
More gears = more mechanical issues!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking Ram got the 8 speed from German ZF right. I haven't read of any issues with it the Rams that have it. I'm on 3 Ram forums too. They must be tough. I kind of wish if that ZF 8 speed is that good that Ford could just use it. I've had three (or was it 4?) transmissions go out on me over the years! Getting stranded by transmission 500 hundred miles from home ain't fun boys. It'll make ye trade ye truck... I did. After I got the thing rebuilt so I could drive it back home. The other two were close to home.

Quick Reply: It goes to 11!