2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Vibration in a 14 Explorer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes they are the orignal factory joints with no grease fittings. I'm not sure what or if they looked at anything.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
Working on getting the video posted on YouTube, should be up in a day or two.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have, in the past, gone out on a quiet road, roll downhill (engine on is ok), slip tranny into neutral. Often times the ujoint will let itself be known.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
Well, I have an appointment to take my Explorer on Tuesday the 16th. I was asked to bring in my iPad with the video and sound on it so the service writer can see/hear it. Like I've been imagining it this whole time, this is getting really old. I love my Fords but am really starting to question the service deparmtment!

Old 06-17-2015, 02:34 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
Ok I've had enough of this. Yet again I get told the mechanics can't find anything wrong. I'm taking my Explorer to an independent mechanic and paying for it out of my own pocket. I can't believe that 2 mechanics agree with me that there is a vibration, yet nobody can fix it so I have to live with it. That's the worst customer service I have ever had.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife's 2014 has a vibration/noise around 50 mph that I describe like when you roll the back window down, and only the back window. You get that popping type sound that runs you crazy until you balance the cabin by lowering a front window. But in this case, all the windows are up and it does it. I sense a minor vibration from the rear as well. Rotated the tires and it didnt change anything. Does this sort of describe what you are experiencing? My wife's Ex is only FWD so I know its not a drive shaft concern.

P.S. Not trying to hijack here, just comparing notes to see if we have the same concern. Maybe we can get the same fix.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:12 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
BTW linedog, I feel your pain on getting a fix at the dealer. Took a truck in for a warranty repair, when I pick it up there is no climate control functions that work. Auto climate is completely dead and service writer is in the truck with me trying everything to make it work. They keep it overnight, call the next day and say its working now so whatever it was is gone. Must be magic. did it again 1 week before my ESP expired, took it back in, now its working again magically. The service writer sat in the truck with me, experienced the problem, yet says nothing wrong anymore. Warranty expired now and they tell me if it happens again, tough luck, doesnt matter that I had concern before the warranty expired. Its on my dime now. My suggestion is to make sure they have it documented that they feel the vibration you are concerned with and keep pushing them until they fix it.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caprang
My wife's 2014 has a vibration/noise around 50 mph that I describe like when you roll the back window down, and only the back window. You get that popping type sound that runs you crazy until you balance the cabin by lowering a front window. But in this case, all the windows are up and it does it...
It sounds like you can replicate this sound pretty easily, caprang. Have you ever had your dealership address this? If not, it might be worthwhile to take your tech along for a test drive so you can demonstrate it for them. How many miles are on the Explorer? I'll investigate options to assist.

Crystal

Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Goes in next week for this and another concern. I dont want to hijack the thread but thanks for reaching out and I will circle back with you if dealer is unable to assist. I notice it every time I drive it. My wife seems to have gotten used to it since she drives it every day and "it doesnt bother her" but ignoring it now will lead to a bigger problem later. 16k miles for what its worth.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caprang
Goes in next week for this and another concern. I dont want to hijack the thread but thanks for reaching out and I will circle back with you if dealer is unable to assist...
You're welcome, caprang! I'm always just a PM away if you need my help.

Crystal

Old 07-01-2015, 06:00 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
At this point I'm handing my Explore over to a private mechanic, letting him find and fix the issue then sending the bill to Ford. My service adviser already said they would take care of the bill. I can't believe how inept Ford mechanics are. I will never take any of my Fords to a dealer again. The mechanics are worse than used car salesmen.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:14 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
All depends on your dealer. I have a dealership 5 minutes from my house and they have proven themselves inadequate too many times and I wouldnt take my lawn mower to them. But there are dealers out there willing to invest in good mechanics. Its a huge pain in the **** but I take my stuff to a dealer an hour away.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
2 different dealers and 5-6 mechanics, I've lost all my faith in Ford service and don't have an issue letting anyone know it.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 PM
linedog
Cross-Country
With updates

Latest update, front end started making a klunking sound is reverse, same location as the vibration. I told the wife this the last straw, and headed back to the dealer. They basically bought it back and we drove off in a 2016 Explorer Platinum. No vibrating, just a smooth ride the way it should have been. I only feel sorry for th next owner of the lemon we got rid of.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by linedog
Latest update, front end started making a klunking sound is reverse, same location as the vibration. I told the wife this the last straw, and headed back to the dealer. They basically bought it back and we drove off in a 2016 Explorer Platinum. No vibrating, just a smooth ride the way it should have been. I only feel sorry for th next owner of the lemon we got rid of.
Did they buy it back for a good portion of the original cost?

Quick Reply: Vibration in a 14 Explorer.