Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 bulletproofing and some other minor changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Does that sinister kit include the pressure regulated fuel return kit? I think that it is a good option to consider.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:19 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x
I assume you're studding it? Was there a HG problem before teardown? Did you see the old gaskets? #8 looks like it was starting to let go, but hard to tell from pics. Any unusual, heavy patterns on the piston tops? A light star isn't uncommon. What's in the VR gasket package? Do you like Mountain Dew? LOL
Just talked to the shop, no unusual wear on gaskets or #8 cylinder, no heavy patterns on piston tops. He uses VR gaskets for the whole package. He does not like mountain dew but his guys do. He is doing the blue spring upgrade but is not adding a pressure regulated fuel return kit at the nominal power levels I am looking for. I am, however, adding the pressure regulated *** end kit, aka the airlift ultimate shocks, but thats another story.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
If the HG's will be VR please do some research before letting them proceed with installing them. If you are planning on adding any power, factory Ford MLS HG's have proven over, and over that they will hold up better than any aftermarket stock type gasket. It is a big deal, because you don't want to have to do this again for a long time.

The body off stud job on my truck was performed in 2008. I run the heaviest tunes Eric can write, and have put over 100#'s of nitrous through the motor. Mine are still holding strong.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
thanks for the heads up! Out of curiosity, what would it add in cost?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:49 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

I haven't checked prices recently, but a quick search showed about $300/pair from Ed at Ficmrepair.com. Install is no different, and labor wouldn't change if they haven't put the heads back on.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:42 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Fwiw, I just rebuilt my wife's 05 Ex, injector tip broke off, anyway some things to think about, I would go with new crank sensors and cam sensors, make sure you have an updated STC if you have a 05 engine, updated turbo oil feed line and update return tube, I elected to remove the engine from the chassis, I wanted new lifters, new bed plate gaskets and I needed to clean up the one hole, there has been some cases of lifters collapsing, I replaced all the lifters but you have to remove the rear cover I believe, only 200.00 more, happened to my best friend on an 04, there's lots of extras to do to these, sounds like you are on somewhat of a budget, I get that but do it all and do it right, there will be no other time when it will cheaper. I know it's expensive, I spent over 5 grand in parts and I didn't need a turbo and did all the work myself. Had both heads serfaced and valves all done. Like I sad it will never be cheaper than it is today!
Head gaskets:

6.0 Head gasket kits

Old 04-20-2015, 12:51 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
subscribed

Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Excellent thread. Looking forward to following along.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by jdw1
Fwiw, I just rebuilt my wife's 05 Ex, injector tip broke off, anyway some things to think about, I would go with new crank sensors and cam sensors, make sure you have an updated STC if you have a 05 engine, updated turbo oil feed line and update return tube, I elected to remove the engine from the chassis, I wanted new lifters, new bed plate gaskets and I needed to clean up the one hole, there has been some cases of lifters collapsing, I replaced all the lifters but you have to remove the rear cover I believe, only 200.00 more, happened to my best friend on an 04, there's lots of extras to do to these, sounds like you are on somewhat of a budget, I get that but do it all and do it right, there will be no other time when it will cheaper. I know it's expensive, I spent over 5 grand in parts and I didn't need a turbo and did all the work myself. Had both heads serfaced and valves all done. Like I sad it will never be cheaper than it is today!
Head gaskets:

6.0 Head gasket kits
After talking with MTD, Heath agreed that it was a solid idea to do the lifters and rear main seal while in there, although he stated that it looked quite clean in my motor and didn't sense the lifters would be a problem, he agreed with you that the cost to update now was such a significant savings that it was certainly not a bad idea if I didn't mind the expense. He did point me to this video on the VR head gaskets, which seemed to make a few good points, so I am leaning in that direction as he stands behind all of his work. He is doing updated turbo lines as well and resurfacing the heads already.

I do appreciate everyones advice and I am looking forward to getting the rig back on the road, many thousands of dollars poorer no thanks to the likes of you!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

I won't change my opinion on the HGs because of a single, short video.

The Black Onyx 6.0 gaskets that VR used to offer have a less than stellar reputation after a high level of reported failures. Who knows how many of those failures were due to other factors, but I wouldn't take the chance with VRs second attempt at doing it right.

It's your truck, and your money. If the shop stands behind it, and you are comfortable, that's what matters.

Now where are the progress pics?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User

as per last post... lifters getting done.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm looking forward to the Southern NH Ford Excursion meetup this summer.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ExploringNH

I figure its inevitable I run into you up on the Kanc / Conway area at some point. We camp up there several times over the summer.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by ExploringNH

OK Ryan, but I'm not taking this beast down those narrow trails...the paint is too pretty! I don't know how the hell you fit that thing down some of those paths!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZaXcursion
OK Ryan, but I'm not taking this beast down those narrow trails...the paint is too pretty! I don't know how the hell you fit that thing down some of those paths!
425ft/lbs. and a big bumper. lol

It fits, but pinstriping is inevitable.

Originally Posted by IMASAP
I figure its inevitable I run into you up on the Kanc / Conway area at some point. We camp up there several times over the summer.
For sure. I'll be up there a lot this year.

Quick Reply: 6.0 bulletproofing and some other minor changes