Sponsored by:

6.0 bulletproofing and some other minor changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:09 AM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 bulletproofing and some other minor changes

I thought I'd document my excursion build here, as I set my rig up to a) be a reliable daily driver and b) be an excellent tow vehicle for a 8-9k car hauler and c) look a little better. Pretty much everything I am doing I have learned about from searching this fine site; you guys (and occasional gal) are a wealth of information.

As purchased:

First stop, wheels and tires:

I've noticed opinions vary on certain topics, so I am sure some will see stuff I am doing and say "I woulda done it different", but I am doing (or more accurately, having done) what I think is the best I can. That being said, If you see me doing something exceptionally stupid, please feel free to call me out on it. The first potentially exceptionally stupid thing I did was take it to the Ford Stealership. I did this for two reasons; I wanted an inspection and I wanted to know worst case scenarios. I bought this truck effectively wholesale from a dealer who took it in trade and then realized it needed more through the shop than he was willing to invest, so I knew it would need a variety of things. When it came off the transport truck, a few things jumped out at me. It was leaking oil out of what looked like the rear of the engine. The water in fuel light was on. It was doing a funky high idle, low idle, high idle thing. There was a clunk in the front suspension. The fluids were a mess. Anyway, I wanted Ford parts and the once over, so thats where I started. I did pretty much all the fluids, replaced all the filters, oil leak was the oil pressure sending unit, changed the diff and transfer case oils, replaced the sway bar links and bushings, fixed the water in fuel light by replacing the module and cleaning out the sludge, replaced front struts, aligned truck. No rust on underside, otherwise truck was very clean. negotiated a 30% discount off of service fees and they also through in the front struts for free.

Now the truck drives great.

Next on the list; Bulletproofing!

I interviewed four local Ford mechanics, and settled on Maine Turbo Diesel. They had great reviews, good word of mouth, and Heath, the owner, seems like a real straight shot. They will be doing the standard bulletproofing upgrades, adding a Sinister Diesel power pack with a SCT Livewire TS+, 4 inch turbo back, intake, and an updated Ford fuel pump. In addition, for towing I am adding Airlift Ultimate rear airbags and for looks swapping out to Harley Davidson Knock Off headlights and since my right mirror blinker lens was smashed, a pair of smoked mirror blinker lenses. I will add pics when the body leaves the frame next week!

Thanks for all of your help and knowledge guys!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice ! Glad to see there are a few of here from NH.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Body off:

Old 04-11-2015, 01:44 AM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
ONe thing: Unless you are planning some serious horsepower upgrades (ie 500+ horses) then the factory intake with a clean filter is more than enough flow for you. If you are planning injector and turbo upgrades then by all means enjoy! My two cents...save your money on that and do something else like a coolant filter or a bypass oil filter.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:59 AM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
ONe thing: Unless you are planning some serious horsepower upgrades (ie 500+ horses) then the factory intake with a clean filter is more than enough flow for you. If you are planning injector and turbo upgrades then by all means enjoy! My two cents...save your money on that and do something else like a coolant filter or a bypass oil filter.
Thanks! The only reason I was doing the intake was because it is basically free with the Sinister Diesel Package... I will look into the coolant and bypass oil filters.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Is the body still off? great time to prep and rust paint the frame and other hard to reach areas

I would jump on that opportunity

Old 04-11-2015, 03:43 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by nmclella
Is the body still off? great time to prep and rust paint the frame and other hard to reach areas

I would jump on that opportunity
This is good advice... I usually just use a road safe oil spray under my vehicles each season, but it makes sense while its apart. What are you thinking, like a POR 15? Any recommendations?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
POR-15 has never let me down on anything I've put it on, personally that's my vote.

Not sure how it'd work on the 6.0, but the 6637 filter swap is easy, cheap, and the intercooler negates the warmed IAT's from underhood air. If you source the filter from O'Reilly's it's about $58 and its a Wix so it's a damn good filter.

Body off is also an EXCELLENT time to throw that 4" exhaust on since the firewall isn't an issue. If anything minor tweaks when the body is back on for clearance and that's it. You won't get an easier opportunity than now.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:59 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
I've also only ever heard great reviews on POR-15. Whenever I see a thread where someone is complaining about their rust, POR-15 is the most suggested I see.

You could seal everything up like Fort Knox and then still do your oil every fall and your Excursion will outlive me

Old 04-16-2015, 12:59 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
motor apart:

Old 04-16-2015, 03:06 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I assume you're studding it? Was there a HG problem before teardown? Did you see the old gaskets? #8 looks like it was starting to let go, but hard to tell from pics. Any unusual, heavy patterns on the piston tops? A light star isn't uncommon. What's in the VR gasket package? Do you like Mountain Dew? LOL

Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 PM
dvldog458
Elder User
Nice pics.
Subscribing

Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by william_04_x
I assume you're studding it? Was there a HG problem before teardown? Did you see the old gaskets? #8 looks like it was starting to let go, but hard to tell from pics. Any unusual, heavy patterns on the piston tops? A light star isn't uncommon. What's in the VR gasket package? Do you like Mountain Dew? LOL
Not my mountain dew, but I assume Heath and his mechanics at Maine Turbo Diesel do. It is a well known HPA...you know, human power adder. I am doing(having this done?) the head studs and egr delete preventatively, as I plan on putting a bunch of miles on the truck and towing a bit. I also wanted a bit more power, and I've heard these things tend to blow their tops if you add boost without fixing the studs. I kinda factored it into my purchase price. I don't know if the HG was starting to go... I'll ask the guys what they thought on teardown. And I'll figure out what is in the VR gasket package for you. Z

Last edited by ZaXcursion; 04-17-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2015, 07:57 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Your logic is sound. If the shop has a good rep, that's what matters. The devil is in the details with these engines.

Looks good so far. Keep the pics coming. Motor builds are always a good read.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:11 PM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Your logic is sound.
I'm glad someone thinks so. I may need you to talk to my wife

Quick Reply: 6.0 bulletproofing and some other minor changes