Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How does Cyclops "no start" work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know, but if the bad guy has one of these fobs can he get around it ? I am thinking & hoping there are probably several different signature's for the fob. With as much demand for these trucks as there is the club seems like the best go for the doe.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:50 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I have not looked into it, but if the starter relay is the same as the IDM, then you could replace that instead and it would probably work. I kind of like the idea of the potential thief not realizing that it won't start. This may give me a chance to hear it, or frustrate them enough to just leave it.

If the starter was disabled, they may have time and the initiative to look around a bit.

Added this to my list of must have mods. I will definitely pick one up before we go cross country this summer.
That was kind of my thinking too. If the starter won't engage, they'll look for an alarm or something and start yanking wires. If the engine turns over, they'll just assume it's a piece of junk and won't start and give up.

Originally Posted by guitarpicr
I don't know, but if the bad guy has one of these fobs can he get around it ? I am thinking & hoping there are probably several different signature's for the fob. With as much demand for these trucks as there is the club seems like the best go for the doe.
There are different codes. I ordered one for me and one for the wife, the fobs are not interchangeable. Several of the locals did a group buy on these years ago. I don't know of any fobs that would start someone else's truck.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:35 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
The IDM relay must also control the fuel pump and the GPR, neither of these work until I press the button on the remote. I can tell because I get no fuel pressure and my GP LED does not light.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
So, does the truck have to be on in order to disarm the security system or can you push the button while walking up to the truck and disarm it?

Also, I assume that the button push is momentary and not a delayed push of 3 seconds or so?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I may have to get this!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:23 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
So, does the truck have to be on in order to disarm the security system or can you push the button while walking up to the truck and disarm it?

Also, I assume that the button push is momentary and not a delayed push of 3 seconds or so?

You can push the button prior to starting even if the key is not in the ignition yet. It gives you a while to start, like a minute or two I think. I haven't tried it while still outside the truck, I usually press the button just before or just after I insert the key.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Really seems like this is a win/win device. I am not seeing any downfalls to it, unless failure is a problem, but I am sure that someone would have posted about that.

I will be ordering one soon, thanks for all the advice and real world knowledge.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I assume that if the device fails for some reason you could simply replace the stock relay and be on your way?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Yes, I asked that same question to the seller and this was their response.

Q. If the battery on the remote fails, could I simply place the OEM relay in the holder and return the truck to stock?

A. This is correct

Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about if the battery fails on the remote, just replace the battery and continue to have a starter disable TAM device :-)

Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
The IDM relay must also control the fuel pump and the GPR, neither of these work until I press the button on the remote. I can tell because I get no fuel pressure and my GP LED does not light.
Have not looked at the wiring diagrams on the 2002+ trucks, but on the 2001's and down, the IDM is the only thing to which the IDM relay supplies power.

Are you SURE you aren't mistaking it for the PCM's power relay? That has what you are describing, like the fuel pump.

Pop

Old 04-13-2015, 04:21 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
So... with the ongoing conversation re Cyclops... If it's as easy as us keeping a normal relay available as a backup in case the theft-preventing relay stops working, is it unreasonable to think that a thief might just have such a spare relay as well? Especially if the PSD is being specifically targeted? After all, the relay is small enough and cheap enough to keep as a "just-in-case" tool for those with unlawful tendenecies.

This is, and other scenarios as well, is what keeps me coming back to taking Pop's approach with a hidden mag switch in some out-of-the-way or otherwise obtuse location.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:26 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Your thinking is sound.

Pop

Old 04-13-2015, 04:27 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I was hoping otherwise.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
So... with the ongoing conversation re Cyclops... If it's as easy as us keeping a normal relay available as a backup in case the theft-preventing relay stops working, is it unreasonable to think that a thief might just have such a spare relay as well? Especially if the PSD is being specifically targeted? After all, the relay is small enough and cheap enough to keep as a "just-in-case" tool for those with unlawful tendenecies.

This is, and other scenarios as well, is what keeps me coming back to taking Pop's approach with a hidden mag switch in some out-of-the-way or otherwise obtuse location.
You're never going to get around an educated thief, or one who is intent on getting your specific truck (think tow truck). Even Pop's disabler can be gotten around if you know what you're looking for. The key here is them not knowing what they're looking for.

Most alarm systems have a starter disable built into the system. Starter doesn't crank and they know what to look for. Starter does crank and the truck won't start, they eventually give up because more folks will look over at a non-starting vehicle that is just cranking than they will at one with the alarm horn sounding.

Quick Reply: How does Cyclops "no start" work?