Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 F-150 chime "Ding ding ding"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:44 PM
93f150long
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F-150 chime "Ding ding ding"

Took my truck to the car wash tonight, ran it through the automated and half way through it started chiming, hasn't stopped yet but it's only been about an hour I'm hoping something just got wet and it will be gone by tomorrow morning but do you guys have any ideas?

Chime only happens when headlights/parking lightts are turned on, when off it's fine.

Also can somebody tell me incase this doesn't stop how to manually stop it, I've seen a few different threads but none specific of where the chime box is located at, and if I just cut a wire or unplug it etc.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 PM
OldGrayFord
Senior User
The box is located under the dash by the lower part of the steering wheel. You can just unplug it

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can just unplug it. It should be located just behind/under the lower middle dash area, just above the transmission hump. It's a big gray box looking thing that you can simply unplug.

It's possible something got wet... mine dings when the door is open, regardless if the key is in the ignition or the lights are on or off. It's annoying (probably why it was uplugged when I bought the truck) and is a wiring issue I will track down one of these days...

Old 04-08-2015, 10:13 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unplug it, and your brake warning light will no longer work! Guess how I found THAT out...

Scott

Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Is the rubber torn on the drivers door switch. Mine was doing this and sometimes including the interior lights due to water getting into the switch. I sprayed WD-40 into the switch to disperse the water until the new one arrived.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ng19delta
Unplug it, and your brake warning light will no longer work! Guess how I found THAT out...

Scott
Interesting. Mine is long gone and my brake warning light works fine for both parking brakes and low fluid level.
Wonder why that happened on your truck...

Old 04-09-2015, 09:07 AM
animator
Senior User
Mine's unplugged and both ABS and parking brake lights work as well...

Old 04-09-2015, 10:57 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dixie460
Interesting. Mine is long gone and my brake warning light works fine for both parking brakes and low fluid level.
Wonder why that happened on your truck...
same here mine is unplugged and brake light works fine

Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 PM
jaagen
Senior User
X3 on the unplugged and all still works.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know why then- Mine is a 1991, and I noticed it wasn't connected: Also noticed that the parking brake was not making the brake light come on, nor was the seatbelt light coming on... Once I reconnected it, the seatbelt light cycled, and the brake indicator (NOT the RAB light) came on with the key and/or the parking brake as it should. Maybe it is an earlier thing, maybe it is just screwy...

Happily, the ding-ding don't...

Scott

Old 04-10-2015, 06:49 AM
jimistephen
Junior User
Originally Posted by animator
You can just unplug it. It should be located just behind/under the lower middle dash area, just above the transmission hump. It's a big gray box looking thing that you can simply unplug.

It's possible something got wet... mine dings when the door is open, regardless if the key is in the ignition or the lights are on or off. It's annoying (probably why it was uplugged when I bought the truck) and is a wiring issue I will track down one of these days...
I saw a guy talking about it and he replace the ignition tumbler to fix it I believe. Had to do with the it being worn enough to cause it to ding. I had a 93 you could start and then pull the key out with it running and never had that problem.

My 95 dings sometimes, and sometimes when it's not if I push the door open all the way then it'll start, I think that box needs unplugged this morning now that I know about it.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jimistephen
I saw a guy talking about it and he replace the ignition tumbler to fix it I believe. Had to do with the it being worn enough to cause it to ding. I had a 93 you could start and then pull the key out with it running and never had that problem.
Y'all know you can leave the box plugged in and just disconnect the wire to the ignition lock cylinder. Then it'll only ding for headlights left on and seatbelt unbuckled.

If you don't want the seatbelt reminder either then just unplug the connector at the seatbelt buckle and it'll shut up for that as well and only ding if you leave your lights on.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:59 AM
jimistephen
Junior User
Really? No I didn't know that, but hear it it makes sense. Mine doesn't dig for seat belt, just ignition and headlights, and when it's not supposed to...

Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 PM
animator
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimistephen

My 95 dings sometimes, and sometimes when it's not if I push the door open all the way then it'll start, I think that box needs unplugged this morning now that I know about it.

My ignition was in the same condition.. it could start without a key. I replaced the whole thing several years ago. I also have an aftermarket alarm installed. I'm suspecting somewhere in that mess of wires is something not hooked up correctly.

I actually like the chime for headlights on, so I kinda want it to work... I'll get to it one of these days...

Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM
jimistephen
Junior User
I couldn't start or stop it without the key, just after it was on I could pull the key out. I'm gonna have to see which wire it is for the ignition and unhook it, I'd like for it to work with the head lights also.

Quick Reply: 93 F-150 chime "Ding ding ding"