Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured Long Blocks From ATK, Promar, Jasper or....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 PM
TobaccoBarn460
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remanufactured Long Blocks From ATK, Promar, Jasper or....?

I was looking for a parts truck, and came across a really nice '89 F-250/460 with 104k with a dead cylinder.

This truck is a Standard Cab with an otherwise identical setup to my '89 Crew/F-350.

Well-cared for truck, everything in it's original spot, too bad as 7 cylinders tested out at 180psi, while cylinder #1 is at 0psi.

A leak down test has it blowing out the PCV input on the valve cover. Drove it 250 miles that way. Satisfied with the $900.00 invested to this point.

I don't have the heart to carve it up, and I'm considering a long block.

ATK under the Rock Auto banner has a 3 year warranty and I believe a 100k mile warranty. Price around $1700.00 with core returned.

Promar, out of NJ, has a VERY impressive ad on E-Bay listing their extensive line of machines by name, the processes that the machines perform, their motor is at about $2100.00 with core returned. A 3 yr.unlimited mileage warranty.

There is also a "Stage 1 RV" camshaft available with matching valve springs for $350.00 from Promar, that's about the only power upgrade I could afford, keeping it mostly stock.

Jasper seems to sell to shops, their pricing appears shielded to the public.

I'm thinking my engine, with it's hyper-fast leakdown rate, must have a hole in the piston, or a hell of a ring failure, I'm not sure if I will want to keep it, though I intend to inspect it when I pull it.

If anyone has any input into the kind of satisfaction they experienced with their remanufactured engines, by which firm, with any additional upgrades, etc. like price, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check prices at your local automotive machine shops… you find them to be very competitive.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
I picked a reman up from O'Reillys and have about 50K on it now. No complaints. I think it had a 3 yr/unlimited mileage warranty.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:53 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not pull the head and see what is going on. 104000 miles isn't much for 460. And a good local machine shop maybe able to save you some cash.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:46 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
agreed with the above, why replace the engine when you may just need a head, one set of rings, or one piston?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM
TobaccoBarn460
Tuned
The engine has to be pulled, test is conclusive on lower end failure.

Wet test prior to Leakdown Test showed a very brief compression increase reaction.

But if the cylinder wall is in good shape, I would definitely keep the motor, after completely overhauling/rebuilding it.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:47 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It depends on what you want. Take it apart see what you have. Measure everything and see what needs to be done. If it is total trash then a reman may be the way to go. How ever I usually prefer to rebuild them myself. That way I know what was done. You really don't know what you are getting from some of these rebuilders. Some of the things I have seen on remanned engines is really spooky.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:11 PM
TobaccoBarn460
Tuned
Yeah, I can remember when the terms were "blueprint", "rebuilt", or "overhaul" but the term "remanufactured" was never heard.

But thinking about it, it seems to jive with standards today.

In 1980 say, I never really heard of anybody with a rebuilt engine with 50K. Maybe there were some.

You hear all the time now about how machined tolerances are much closer, more precise, now that there are CNC machines doing the work.

These big builders are "married" to an assembly they put completely together, and that they give 100K/unlimited mileage coverage is pretty impressive, says a lot.

Already talked to some local builders, closest is over 40 miles away, and they're telling me what procedures they cannot do, don't have the machinery.

Still in fact-finding stages, but like the idea of expensive, high-tech, close-tolerance machines refinishing the parts.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:20 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend who swears by Jasper... Gets all his rebuilds done there for his shop any more...

Scott

Old 04-09-2015, 01:35 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TobaccoBarn460
I was looking for a parts truck, and came across a really nice '89 F-250/460 with 104k with a dead cylinder.

This truck is a Standard Cab with an otherwise identical setup to my '89 Crew/F-350.

Well-cared for truck, everything in it's original spot, too bad as 7 cylinders tested out at 180psi, while cylinder #1 is at 0psi.

A leak down test has it blowing out the PCV input on the valve cover. Drove it 250 miles that way. Satisfied with the $900.00 invested to this point.

I don't have the heart to carve it up, and I'm considering a long block.

ATK under the Rock Auto banner has a 3 year warranty and I believe a 100k mile warranty. Price around $1700.00 with core returned.

Promar, out of NJ, has a VERY impressive ad on E-Bay listing their extensive line of machines by name, the processes that the machines perform, their motor is at about $2100.00 with core returned. A 3 yr.unlimited mileage warranty.

There is also a "Stage 1 RV" camshaft available with matching valve springs for $350.00 from Promar, that's about the only power upgrade I could afford, keeping it mostly stock.

Jasper seems to sell to shops, their pricing appears shielded to the public.

I'm thinking my engine, with it's hyper-fast leakdown rate, must have a hole in the piston, or a hell of a ring failure, I'm not sure if I will want to keep it, though I intend to inspect it when I pull it.

If anyone has any input into the kind of satisfaction they experienced with their remanufactured engines, by which firm, with any additional upgrades, etc. like price, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
As much as ^this guy swears buy Jasper....I wouldn't trust them any further than I can throw them.... My previous company used them in our fleet vehicles across the country do to their availability... but I have seen some of the work first hand...and no.... the fix what is wrong on the core and leave everything else.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
same here with jasper. they tend fix what is broken and call it remanufactured or rebuilt.
i took apart a fresh jasper engine a few years ago to prove my point to the purchasing agent for the ambulance company.
the engine was fresh off the truck that was still there unloading when i pulled the pan.
one new connecting rod, piston and rings, with new bearings on that one rod.
the rest of the bearings had copper showing.
all the engines and transmissions that were being delivered were reloaded on the truck and sent away with a canceled contract.
the work was then contracted out to a local machine shop.
turnaround time was 4 days longer, but cost was about the same, and engine life on the rebuilds went from 30k miles to over 100k miles

Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
a Third for Jasper = Junk.

I have had 2 different Promar engines. Was pleased with both of them. One had a problem and they stood behind it ALL THE WAY with ZERO hassle.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:21 PM
TobaccoBarn460
Tuned
Yeah Brad, if you get a chance, I'm pretty interested to hear about what was the mechanical issue that got your warranty started, and did you have to supply paperwork signed by a "ASE Certified Shop" to submit.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TobaccoBarn460
Yeah Brad, if you get a chance, I'm pretty interested to hear about what was the mechanical issue that got your warranty started, and did you have to supply paperwork signed by a "ASE Certified Shop" to submit.
I had a knock. Ended up being the flex plate was cracked around the mounting bolts. The shop did NOT divulge that info back to promar and I got a NEW engine installed for free

Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I had a knock. Ended up being the flex plate was cracked around the mounting bolts. The shop did NOT divulge that info back to promar and I got a NEW engine installed for free
Question about the flexplate...after the flexplate is put on the crank, is there anything else that goes on before the bolts? Like a disk or something to go around all the bolt holes to hold things on? I have my block at the machine shop now and they were asking me about this, if it existed. I told them I don't remember anything like that.

Quick Reply: Remanufactured Long Blocks From ATK, Promar, Jasper or....?