1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Refrefreshing change at local parts store.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:00 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Refrefreshing change at local parts store.

About 5 years ago our last privately owned parts store closed, and what a loss. We had one chain store that still had all the books. But sadly they were rarely used. The employees were short staffed and it was a mess. I had pretty much stopped using them for those reasons. I stopped buy the other day for a brake part and to my surprise when the counter clerk mentioned to his manager that he could not find the part on the computer, the (new) manager tossed a book to him and said try this. It was obvious that this new manager who is an old timer has, and continues to turn this store back around, to using all its resources. The guys that used to have alcohol on there breath were either gone or sober. Its nice to have a local parts store that uses the books again. I'm not mentioning any store names, but I'm sure you all can figure the one I'm speaking of.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone attempt to look in a book when going to a local parts store. Well, maybe that's just because I wasn't really around pre-computers!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
My local parts store has pulled out a book here and there. I usually do my research and get info for them. Now my uncle owns an independent store. They don't have computers to look stuff up. They still only use books.
The shop only has a couple of employees and they have answers. Too bad he lives 2 hours away, but I still buy and get advise from him when I can.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:00 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We have 1 guy in Auto Zone that has a network of friends and numbers that does his best to help find the hard to get items. The rest just put in time.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's what I like about the NAPA stores I deal with. They have computers, books, AND speak the language of cars and trucks.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto^^Mixer Man

Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
I stopped by my local store last night to find belts for my AC conversion... Not only did the guy help me find them, he helped me put them on in the parking lot! It took 3 tries before we got the right ones. That's the ONLY store that I will visit from now on.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
.... It was obvious that this new manager who is an old timer has, and continues to turn this store back around, to using all its resources. ...
Same thing happened to the Auto Zone a block from my house! The old manager was a total loser, the employees did as they pleased. Even more surprising, he hired a couple of gals who are knowledgeable and very helpful. The NAPA I go to has always been a terrific place, all hot rodders who are used to cars that aren't stock.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:30 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Likewise on the NAPA store. They are great and have a fantastic machine shop. could not have done the truck without them

Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are here in Tucson, the only place to get the parts you need is the locally owned, Merle's. They still use the books and the have knowledgeable staff, both guys and gals. The only national chain I visit is the Green O store, and then I'm selective about which one I use. Finding parts is tough and you HAVE to know what you need.

Phil

Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
It is pretty sad around here if you need auto parts. Was working on the wife's Benz this weekend and ordered a set of motor mounts and a fuel filter from NAPA. They didn't have them but said that they would come in from Phoenix after two on Monday so I said that will work and ordered the parts. Monday after noon came and I went to get the parts. Only one motor mount was their. I asked where the other mount was, they said they only ordered one. I asked them how many V8's had just one mount? You can guess what their response was. Had to wait until Tuesday to get the other mount. It is almost easier just to order the parts online than go to the local parts store.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
My local Napa store has the books, but only a couple counter people there know how to use them.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 PM
91Fbody
Senior User
I stopped by Carquest(used to be the old napa building. I thought I was going to napa) and the lady couldn't find a fuel pump on the computer. So she busted out 2 books. Found a listing for a fuel pump and said she could get it. I held off because I wasn't sure of the quality of carquest branded items. But, it was nice that she took the time to find out.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Carquest is usually a step above AZ, IMO. They sell to many shops around here.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:48 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
In my little town there is a NAPA, a Car Quest store, and an Advance Auto. I go first to NAPA or the Car Quest store. The guys at Car Quest know their stuff. One guy is the president of the local car club. The NAPA guys are knowledgeable and use books. I go to Advance if I need to buy something off the shelf but not parts.

Quick Reply: Refrefreshing change at local parts store.