1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

PMF RSK 3 Months Later

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 AM
majorgator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to detract from the current conversation going on right now, but I just wanted to throw in a little update.

I installed rear sway bar links (Mevotech) on the front, and it made a world of difference. I can't say if it solved all my problems, but the clunky sounds were definitely the sway bars hitting the springs. There's a good amount of separation now, plus the there's more distance between the track bar and sway bar. Overall, this was a good decision, and I think it should ALWAYS be a part of the RSK discussions and build threads.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
So the 2.5" pmf with SD springs is only 2.5 over stock? The reason I ask is I did keep obs stock springs and its 3" over what it was before. I can't go up any more altitude and fit in my garage. thinking ride could be improved further vs my 330k mile springs.
Yes, the PMF 2.5" kits moves the front spring's mounting location 2.5" lower than the stock location, effectively giving it a 2.5" lift.

How much lift the SD springs contribute to the height depends on the spring code you use. My U codes are near flat and contribute no lift.

From F350 OBS springs that had a helper leaf added (my previous owner of the donor truck) I gained about 2.5" to 3" going to the 2.5" PMF RSK and U code springs.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM
joedown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Maybe zero is a relative term since it is impossible to have none with a solid axle.

But I have no more than when the truck was stock

All I am using an adjustable track bar. STOCK pitman arm and STOCK track bar mount
Well I'm using the same setup although my track bar is not adjustable. I lengthened the stock one using a sleeve. So I wonder why I have bump steer? I've thought about using a stabilizer but those seem to be not recommended.

Brad is your truck a F250 or F350?

My drag link has way more angle than stock since the conversion and I think that's what's giving me bump steer. I don't see how the track bar could have anything to do with it as long as it's the right length.

My PMF kit was one of the first ones so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it?

My SD springs are pretty close to being flat.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by joedown
Well I'm using the same setup although my track bar is not adjustable. I lengthened the stock one using a sleeve. So I wonder why I have bump steer? I've thought about using a stabilizer but those seem to be not recommended.

My drag link has way more angle than stock since the conversion and I think that's what's giving me bump steer. I don't see how the track bar could have anything to do with it as long as it's the right length.

My PMF kit was one of the first ones so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it?

If the track bar is at too steep of an angle, it can cause the axle to move side to side more than it would if it was flat or close to flat like when the truck is at stock height.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:20 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

One truck was a F250(converted) one truck is a F350.

My 2 PFM kits were literally the FIRST and second ones he made(my truck was the one who got measured and I got 2 prototypes

Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by majorgator
I installed rear sway bar links (Mevotech) on the front, and it made a world of difference.
Do you have the part number you ordered?

Thanks in advance..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:57 PM
joedown
Freshman User
One truck was a F250(converted) one truck is a F350.

My 2 PFM kits were literally the FIRST and second ones he made(my truck was the one who got measured and I got 2 prototypes
Do your front springs have the spacer under the two leafs or does your SD springs sit right on the axle?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:07 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Do your front springs have the spacer under the two leafs or does your SD springs sit right on the axle?
Spacer? NO, I do not run front spacers, just leaf springs

Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 AM
majorgator
Senior User
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Do you have the part number you ordered?

Thanks in advance..
MK80016
More Information for MEVOTECH MK80016

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 PM
joedown
Freshman User
Spacer? NO, I do not run front spacers, just leaf springs
I might need to post a pic of it but when I removed the stock springs there was a spacer about the thickness of one leaf under the two leafs if that makes sense. I was going to leave them off since the SD springs didn't have them but then the SD springs hit the traction bar mounts on the axle. You got a picture of your D60 setup?

I would love to be able to lower the front end a bit.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:07 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I might need to post a pic of it but when I removed the stock springs there was a spacer about the thickness of one leaf under the two leafs if that makes sense. I was going to leave them off since the SD springs didn't have them but then the SD springs hit the traction bar mounts on the axle. You got a picture of your D60 setup?

I would love to be able to lower the front end a bit.
I follow you now. Yes, that is part of the leaf pack. I guess you could remove it bit you would only loose about 3/8"

Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by majorgator
Thank you! I'll call them but suspect they may not know…Do you know how long they are?

Edited to add: Mevotech said the overall length of the MK80016 is about 12.9".