1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

PMF RSK 3 Months Later

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Not to derail the OP's thread.... Brad, I needed the drop the PMF bracket gave to get rid of bump steer. If you are not dropping your track bar, are you also running a stock pitman arm?
Yes stock pitman arm and Zero bump steer

Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 PM
joedown
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have experienced the same issues as the OP. I got the recommended Bilsteins and while the ride is now smooth on rough roads the pitch and roll is barely tolerable. Towing a trailer is horrible with the front end bouncing up and down. I think it's a good mod but something is wrong and I don't know what it is. I don't want and shouldn't need to do dual shocks. It just seems like the ride should be a bit stiffer. I have stock swaybars in front and rear and longer links in the front. Any ideas?

96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 70,019 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 6 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, Ford 08 diff cover, Oil gauge mod, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Are you guys running sway bars?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 PM
joedown
Freshman User
Umm...

Old 04-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by joedown
Umm...
I will take that as a no

Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by joedown
I too have experienced the same issues as the OP. I got the recommended Bilsteins and while the ride is now smooth on rough roads the pitch and roll is barely tolerable. Towing a trailer is horrible with the front end bouncing up and down. I think it's a good mod but something is wrong and I don't know what it is. I don't want and shouldn't need to do dual shocks. It just seems like the ride should be a bit stiffer. I have stock swaybars in front and rear and longer links in the front. Any ideas?

96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 70,019 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 6 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, Ford 08 diff cover, Oil gauge mod, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.
The end of the first paragraph says he is?!?
Either way,I know I'm not running a pmf..wish I had known of them when I did mine. I have the 5125 bilsteins as well.
I will say its no slot car. I don't have issue towing tho. I really just figured eh its a lifted one ton cc behemoth.
And went on. I do have my front and rear sway bars in full effect also

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM
ved0303
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Are you guys running sway bars?
Should we be?
I am about to undertake this and was not planning on using the sway bar. My truck doesn't have one currently but the axle I got came with one. Should I use it?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 AM
joedown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ved0303
Should we be?
I am about to undertake this and was not planning on using the sway bar. My truck doesn't have one currently but the axle I got came with one. Should I use it?
If you have one I would use it. I can't imagine what the ride would be like without them on my truck.

What I want to know is how you can do this mod with zero bump steer?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
I run sway bars on all my trucks, So I can't say how the ride is without them.
My Stock F250 never had a Front sway bar since it was never available from the factory. but once I did the RSK and dana 60 I put it in at the same time

Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 PM
slus
New User
I bought my truck with the Sky RSK kit with OBS springs and no sway bar, the ride was scary on windy roads. It was absolutely unsafe with my camper on. One trip over highway 299 in northern california like that and I was in the junk yard the next week sorting out a factory sway bar set up with extended links and a set of Timbren bump stops to stop the sway.

Switching from the OBS Sky kit to the PMF SD kit had a negligible effect on sway for me (sway bar on both setups), not sure if I wrote that in this thread yet or not.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
After the RSK, B codes in back and U codes up front, new Bilstein 5100 all around and no sway bars.

While it was a cushy ride, it was like driving a waterbed.

My F250 had no sway bars at either end. I wanted one for the front but a rear came available first.

Adding the 1-1/8" diameter (the largest option) factory sway bar to the rear made a noticeable decrease in the amount of body roll in the turns and decreased the bobble head feel.

I increased the shock dampening (increased compression and expansion rates) in the rear shocks which eliminated the kick to the back of the head after a bump.

A factory D60 (also 1-1/8" diameter) front sway bar became available and it was installed. This tightened up the left to right bobble head feel.

Sway bars cause their own goofiness to the ride when you hit a speed bump or ditch crooked rather than straight on.

I increased the dampening of the front shocks too.

If I had a slide in camper, a 5th wheel or a travel trailer with a load transferring hitch I think my setup would be perfect.

But with just a topper and the few hundred pounds of chain hoist (I don't have a winch) and junk in the tool box the compression dampening is too much for the little ripples, expansion joints etc.

I'll drop the tire pressure a little (just had them balanced/rotated) and then decide if I'll put the softer shocks back on up front.

Here is a link to a bunch of my details:
Front shocks in rear with B codes, 4" blocks, increasing valving, improved ride, lots of dimensions... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ved0303
Should I use it?
In my opinion, yes.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 AM
joedown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Yes stock pitman arm and Zero bump steer
How did you achieve zero bump steer with this mod? From everything I have read about it you will have some.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Maybe zero is a relative term since it is impossible to have none with a solid axle.

But I have no more than when the truck was stock

All I am using an adjustable track bar. STOCK pitman arm and STOCK track bar mount

Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I will say I had massive bump steer with the stock track bar dropped and stock Pittman arm. (No surprise) I gota 3" drop pPittman arm and all is well.

So the 2.5" pmf with SD springs is only 2.5 over stock? The reason I ask is I did keep obs stock springs and its 3" over what it was before. I can't go up any more altitude and fit in my garage. thinking ride could be improved further vs my 330k mile springs.

Quick Reply: PMF RSK 3 Months Later