Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

R&D pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:37 PM
d-day
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R&D pump question

Can you turn down the fuel on a 90cc pump? My egt is way too high pulling my trailer.. Truck is a zf5 with 4:11r&p trailer weight is only 7800lbs, at 60mph temp is between 800~900 degrees flat road with no head wind.. After market ats turbo.. Just a question more than anything, our I might have to go back to a stock pump

Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't fathom a reason you couldn't.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Back off on the throttle?
All turning down the fuel does is reduce the amount of fuel going into the cyls max. Taking your foot off the throttle a bit does the exact same thing.

That being said, a RD2-90 is the same thing as any other DB2, so you can adjust the fuel screw if you really need.

That being said, I'd see about messing with the timing and see if that helps; timing really affects EGTs and power.

Also, see about getting more, colder air in there.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 PM
d-day
Elder User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Back off on the throttle?
All turning down the fuel does is reduce the amount of fuel going into the cyls max. Taking your foot off the throttle a bit does the exact same thing.

That being said, a RD2-90 is the same thing as any other DB2, so you can adjust the fuel screw if you really need.

That being said, I'd see about messing with the timing and see if that helps; timing really affects EGTs and power.

Also, see about getting more, colder air in there.
That was managing 60mph.. I'd hate to.see it when the hills come, might price out a intercooler.. And possibly this wicked wheel, called to ask questions about it and was told should lower egts anywhere from 100 to 200 degrees depending on how the engine is running and set up

http://www.conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

Also looking at this cooler

http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDis...9-882fd653b776

Simply because I don't have the time to fab up a cooler, I know it's not cheap by any means but I like the performance of the pump.. I know it needs more air and cooler air simply because I've got lots O fuel lol

Old 04-06-2015, 09:59 PM
dropitlow88
Senior User
I'd love to have one of his pumps. mine runs 5-600 flat ground empty at 70. Pulling a trailer i can mat it and hold 11-1200 with slight modulation of the throttle. 3 flats so far, barely smokes unless i hammer down at low RPM from a stop. Think the pump is getting tired but it fires right up, hot or cold. running 13psi. Factory ATS turbo.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 AM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm more willing to bet that your timing is off for your application if you need less fuel.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM
typefour
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your temps are not that high, I seriously doubt the wicked wheel will do 200 degrees. Intercool it, then you can turn the boost up a bit because cold air will drop pressure, also my biggest single temp drop was the cold air intake I did thru the hood, instant 150 degree drop , we have a great test hill on the edge of town.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 AM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Originally Posted by typefour
Your temps are not that high, I seriously doubt the wicked wheel will do 200 degrees. Intercool it, then you can turn the boost up a bit because cold air will drop pressure, also my biggest single temp drop was the cold air intake I did thru the hood, instant 150 degree drop , we have a great test hill on the edge of town.
got pics of your cold air?

Old 04-07-2015, 09:39 AM
d-day
Elder User
Originally Posted by typefour
Would also like to see your setup, as of now I am missing the tube that goes from the air cleaner box over the battery. I am sucking in nothing but the hot air from under the hood, I would like to move in take to the front of the grill

Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 AM
d-day
Elder User
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
I'm more willing to bet that your timing is off for your application if you need less fuel.
what would be your recommendation for timing? I'm at six degrees right now

Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 AM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Originally Posted by d-day
Would also like to see your setup, as of now I am missing the tube that goes from the air cleaner box over the battery. I am sucking in nothing but the hot air from under the hood, I would like to move in take to the front of the grill
I am also missing this same tube

Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d-day
what would be your recommendation for timing? I'm at six degrees right now
8-9 is the generally accepted range to aim for. More or less depending on your altitude and how you work the truck.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can turn it down if you want, that is an option. The RD2-80 is just a turned down 90, and fits many just fine.

The 093 is borderline to small for the 90, and really does take some throttle control or intercooling to make the best of it...

That being said, water injection is the easiest way out if you want to retain power, and tow. Otherwise, turning things down wont hurt anything.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I start backing out at 1100, really out at 1200, dont go above 1250. With your small turbo, 7or8* will lower egt some i wager. Do you have your wastegate turned up at all? If still limited to 10psi that would be a major contributor. A cold air really does help. I didnt notice so much on the highway, but really cutdown on the puff i get starting out in second and how easy it is to make smoke sitting in traffic. If you dont have a 3" downpipe, i would get on that ASAP, as well as ditching the stock muffler if not outright 3.5-4" exhaust.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM
d-day
Elder User
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
You can turn it down if you want, that is an option. The RD2-80 is just a turned down 90, and fits many just fine.

The 093 is borderline to small for the 90, and really does take some throttle control or intercooling to make the best of it...

That being said, water injection is the easiest way out if you want to retain power, and tow. Otherwise, turning things down wont hurt anything.

I forgot about water meth injection.. any recommendations of which company? i was looking around summit racing and its about half the price of a IC "kit", one company said it would reduce egt up to 250*.. even with 200* drop would be acceptable, that would put my flat cursing temp around the 600-650 area..

Quick Reply: R&D pump question