Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post some pics up

Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tonym17
post some pics up
I would but they are in my old Dell that has a dead power source. I need to pull the hard drive to get them off

Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate that your bad luck has caused me (and presumably others) to act....but I just put a Club on my steering wheel today, and have a Cyclops coming in the mail tomorrow.

As much as I'd hate for my truck to be stolen at home, I'd hate it worse if I was at a hotel with trailer in tow and show-car strapped inside!!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
I would but they are in my old Dell that has a dead power source. I need to pull the hard drive to get them off

Ok, go get that done tonight!

Originally Posted by sowaxeman
I hate that your bad luck has caused me (and presumably others) to act....but I just put a Club on my steering wheel today, and have a Cyclops coming in the mail tomorrow.

As much as I'd hate for my truck to be stolen at home, I'd hate it worse if I was at a hotel with trailer in tow and show-car strapped inside!!

Same here. I have a Club in my cart on Amazon and I have a Cyclops in my to-do list. These trucks are SO easy to steal that it's almost worth a recall.

That 150 bucks for a Cyclops beats the heck out of a 500.00 lojack.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 PM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
Ok, go get that done tonight!

Same here. I have a Club in my cart on Amazon and I have a Cyclops in my to-do list. These trucks are SO easy to steal that it's almost worth a recall.

That 150 bucks for a Cyclops beats the heck out of a 500.00 lojack.
Can you help enlighten me on what makes them easy to steal? I know the doors are friggin cake to get into after I locked my keys inside with the rig running (long story) and watched the AAA guy open it up....I started to wonder why I even lock it.....

Are they easy to start without a key?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by River19
Can you help enlighten me on what makes them easy to steal? I know the doors are friggin cake to get into after I locked my keys inside with the rig running (long story) and watched the AAA guy open it up....I started to wonder why I even lock it.....

Nope for obvious reasons , but 2006 - present things are better. You need the key ID after that AFAIK. (as far as I know)

Old 04-08-2015, 08:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Dang that sucks. Here's to hoping for a good turn out. There's a local guy who's had his truck stolen 3 or 4 times now. Gotten it back every time so far. He's got a Ravelco in it now.

Nope for obvious reasons , but 2006 - present things are better. You need the key ID after that AFAIK. (as far as I know)
The new ones are still getting stolen. Apparently the little chip in the key isn't as foolproof as marketing would want you to believe.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

2008+ trucks have Pats

Originally Posted by F350-6
Dang that sucks. Here's to hoping for a good turn out. There's a local guy who's had his truck stolen 3 or 4 times now. Gotten it back every time so far. He's got a Ravelco in it now.

The new ones are still getting stolen. Apparently the little chip in the key isn't as foolproof as marketing would want you to believe.
Pats is great if you don't leave your keys in the truck....

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
2008+ trucks have Pats
Thanks for the correction! I knew it was close to there.

Originally Posted by F350-6

That's for sure. But it usually keeps the local yokel from just jumping in and joyriding it. Pre 2006 you just need to budget in some anti-theft.

Club for visual deterrence, $40.00
Cyclops (or other) for second level prevention $150.00

Would be nice if Ford just came up with a real plan and followed it.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
A remote controlled main cutoff sounds like a good viable option, but that would erase the radio's memory every time it was used. But then that could be worked out too.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
A real simple way of disabling the truck is to use a couple of the customer-use wires to interrupt the coil to the IDM's power relay. A hidden switch will interrupt power to the IDM. When they break your ignition key switch and crank it over, the instrument panel will appear absolutely normal, but the engine won't fire, just crank and crank.

The beauty is that the experienced thieves will immediately know if you've added any other kind of cut-off switch, and may go looking for it, but a "no IDM" condition has virtually no visible symptoms. It just won't start.

By that time, you can be out there with a blunderbuss.

Years ago, I put something together like this, and others have also built it. I have an email from one of them that told me it saved his truck one night.

If anyone's interested, the system is described here:
SpringerPop's Disabler.

BTW, that Cyclops relay is best used as the IDM power relay. It's a slick system. The only down-sides are it requires you to carry a second clicker around, and it will shut down your truck if the clicker is pressed while driving.

Pop

Old 04-09-2015, 12:07 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by River19

Unfortunately yes they are pretty easy to start without a key. Not sure if I should share it to the world though...

Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Unfortunately yes they are pretty easy to start without a key. Not sure if I should share it to the world though...
Nuff said, I get it....lol

Then again, it is hard to try and prevent something when you don't exactly know what that something is......I'll look into SpringerPop's solution.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:22 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
My boss rigged his fuel cutoff solenoid to a push button hidden under the dash on his 96 12 valve. It won't open without hitting the button. Not sure how you'd rig it on a 7.3 but it's a cheap, simple solution

Old 04-09-2015, 12:44 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
When I had to smog my truck last time I removed the switch from my DP tuner chip and hid the cable and it would not start. Had to plug it back in and hide it under the dash for the smog check. An experienced thief may know what to look for though.

Quick Reply: 02 Stolen Friday Night