1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Salvage Yard Therapy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:02 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Salvage Yard Therapy

I was off work yesterday for Good Friday and had intensions of going to the wrecking yard but, a nasty migraine had me sick all day and kept me from going.

But, I feel much better today. I picked up a single-diaphragm booster/pedal assembly from a Dentside F150, a dual-diaphragm booster from a Dentside F350, a V-8 accelerator pedal and arm, a high hump transmission cover and various bits of wiring harnesses with two, three and four-slot bullet terminal connectors --those should come in handy.

It wasn't a big haul but, it was nice to just get out and find a few neat goodies in the process. Going to the wrecking yard is sort of like treasure hunting, you never know what you're going to find.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Ultra... we are eerily parallel. Not just in terms of age, trucking, and such. I too get migraines and statistically, 16 percent of women get migraines and only 5 percent of men. WEIRD.

Nice haul... I'm going pickin tomorrow and hoping the rain holds off. Nothing on the list per se but I've got a $20 "reward certificate" to burn. And like you said, you'll never know what you'll find.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:07 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Ultra... we are eerily parallel. Not just in terms of age, trucking, and such. I too get migraines and statistically, 16 percent of women get migraines and only 5 percent of men. WEIRD.

Nice haul... I'm going pickin tomorrow and hoping the rain holds off. Nothing on the list per se but I've got a $20 "reward certificate" to burn. And like you said, you'll never know what you'll find.
I think in terms of migraines, I got the 21% (the 5% for men PLUS the 16 % for women). It runs in my family. My mom and dad both got them and my grandmother (my dad's mom). My grandmother had told my dad when he got about 50, they would go away. She was right. If it's true for me too, I've got less than two years to go.

The first time I got a migraine was in junior high (1980/'81) and I've had them ever since --although as I have gotten older, they aren't as intense as they used to be but, still debilitating when I have one, none the less. Changes in weather patterns most often set mine off. Not always but generally, I know 1 to 3 days before a rain front moves in that it's coming, without knowing what the weather forecast is.

I was hoping to find a left Bumpside horn, a Duraspark wiring harness and maybe even a Ford Contour twin-electric fan while in the wrecking yard but, no such luck.

The wrecking yard I went to is only a few miles from my house. It's owned by an older black guy who's pretty cool and he lets me wander around to look at stuff. I got the power steering gear box, power brake booster, disc brake front suspension, C-2 PS pump/brackets/pulleys and the 3G alternator from him that are on my truck now.

He likes the old Bumpside trucks and was really impressed when I showed him what 'his' wrecking yard parts look like now.

Hopefully tomorrow, you'll find some nice treasures of your own.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too also use the salvage yard therapy. we still have yards we can walk around in. grab a cheap cigar cup of coffee and walk around for hours.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by spikinfool05
i too also use the salvage yard therapy. we still have yards we can walk around in. grab a cheap cigar cup of coffee and walk around for hours.
There's a much larger wrecking yard 30 miles from where I live in El Dorado, Arkansas (about 80 acres), I used to go to fairly frequently. About 10 years ago though, they quit letting people walk around out there.

Many times, I don't really have anything in particular that I'm looking for. If they won't let you browse around to see what's there, I don't know what they have that I might would want.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:17 AM
68fish
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing I did my therapy yesterday because I feel a migraine coming on now! I was lucky enough to have a bumpside there to test fit a bunch of different ford heat exchangers for my Bendix power steering box. I was using a period correct unit from a Mercury but I didn't think it offered enough transfer after spending $$$ to get the Bendix rebuilt.
One from an early Explorer fit nicely in front of the radiator on the drivers side. And it already had the 3/8 tube fittings
Nice shortbed you have there.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:35 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 68fish
Good thing I did my therapy yesterday because I feel a migraine coming on now! I was lucky enough to have a bumpside there to test fit a bunch of different ford heat exchangers for my Bendix power steering box. I was using a period correct unit from a Mercury but I didn't think it offered enough transfer after spending $$$ to get the Bendix rebuilt.
One from an early Explorer fit nicely in front of the radiator on the drivers side. And it already had the 3/8 tube fittings
Nice shortbed you have there.
Do you have a photo of the PS cooler? I had looked at some on the Explorers when I was searching for an auxiliary transmission cooler but, that's been long enough ago that I don't remember exactly what they look like.

Thanks. My truck was repainted some time in its past but wasn't a great job done on it. The paint was really oxidized when I bought the truck. I spent several hours with some Meguires and got the old paint to have a decent shine for what it is.

There's plenty of scrapes and chips in the paint and some dings in the body but no major rust or dents in it. Overall, the old truck is very solid.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:21 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like that green! What is that, dark Hunter green?

Old 04-05-2015, 03:16 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I like that green! What is that, dark Hunter green?
Thanks. The 1969 color code is "N" which is Norway Green.

Although the warranty plate says the truck is green, there are traces of a darker blue showing through the paint in various places.

I have a '68 Mustang that is Sea Foam Green, color code "O." Even though the color matches the code on the door tag, it was also blue and blue in places someone (other than the factory) wouldn't have painted it, if some individual or body shop would have painted it.

There was blue showing through in the winshield channels, in the floor board, in the trunk, under the package tray and even UNDER the factory under coating I scraped off in the front wheel wheel/cowl area. (I have the '68 Mustang stripped down to the bare hull on a rotisserie).

I had read an account years ago that sometimes Ford would paint a body and then get a more pressing order for a particular build and send the body back to the paint room to be sprayed another color. My '68 Mustang was a deluxe coupe ('fancier' than a regular production Mustang. My F100 is a Ranger). I think this is possibly what happened to both my '68 Mustang and my '69 F100.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Another shot, another pill, salvage yards are my therapy.

I outran the rain and scored the caliper brackets, calipers, and shields from a former government-owned F250 (VIN F25HRL26704) for swapping into my 71.. The donor is painted Boxwood green like Tomahawk's recent find. The warranty plate had been removed and in its place a CA Forestry decal. Thanks to Flyboy2610 for the disc swap how-to over in F'dification.. There was a late 72 there also but these will be "correct" for my 71 (pre-M00001). Thank for the education Flyboy!

A very green metallic '72 Bump gave up a headliner for the LBB... it's pimpin' with custom stitched rolls. The vinyl is marbled dark green and black.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:54 PM
hot-rod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can i say?? Here in germany is NO junk yard with us-cars The closest is in south sweden.... about 1000 mls away

Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I outran the rain and scored the caliper brackets, calipers, and shields from a former government-owned F250 (VIN F25HRL26704) for swapping into my 71.. The donor is painted Boxwood green like Tomahawk's recent find. The warranty plate had been removed and in its place a CA Forestry decal. Thanks to Flyboy2610 for the disc swap how-to over in F'dification.. There was a late 72 there also but these will be "correct" for my 71 (pre-M00001). Thank for the education Flyboy!

A very green metallic '72 Bump gave up a headliner for the LBB... it's pimpin' with custom stitched rolls. The vinyl is marbled dark green and black.

Good on you!

The headliner was (and still is) gone on my truck. Just another thing I have to get.

I noticed the green truck in your photo had a brake booster on it (hard to tell for sure but it looks like a dual-diaphragm unit). I would have grabbed that too. -- clean it up and sell it or, use it for barter material.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Good on you!

The headliner was (and still is) gone on my truck. Just another thing I have to get.

I noticed the green truck in your photo had a brake booster on it (hard to tell for sure but it looks like a dual-diaphragm unit). I would have grabbed that too. -- clean it up and sell it or, use it for barter material.
I figure if anything that the booster brackets are higher the difficulty factor to obtain. And a booster bracket is a whole lot lighter to ship than a booster. You've to a geographical advantage being in the heartland since it is equidistant from there to either coast. If I had a booster and the guy who wants it is in Florida, then it will likely be less desirable due to shipping costs.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
While wrecking yards are therapeutic, They sometimes cause me stress.
Now I go to the wrecking yards every weekend. I hit as many as I can, driving some 400 miles in the process. Some days are great and others not so great.
This past weekend was 50% at a yard 80 miles away, so I went.
First off I hate 50% off days because of the buyers, to many of them.
Secondly the more people at a yard the sharper your awareness has to be. While I was removing parts I noticed a couple of guys who were not removing parts, they were scouting tools, that's right TOOL THIEVES.
I kept an eye on my bag but a couple of people didn't.
Next as I was removing a fender some guy decided he wanted the intake manifold and set his tools on top of the fender and proceeded to remove the intake. I had one bolt left when this guy asked me what size engine was in this truck. was all I can say. he left, some people just want to get in the way.
Third. I'm carrying, two fenders a bumper and a lower rock shield. Plus my tool bag.
There's an empty cart I'm carrying it to when suddenly this little POS came out of nowhere dumped the cart then started to go in the same direction as I. When I yelled at him to wait he said "No it's mine" He pushed the empty cart all the way to where I was going, as I was still trying to carry all my goods.
Some days are stressful others are therapeutic.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:33 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I got off from work at 1:30 p.m. Friday so, I came straight home, hopped in the truck and went to a wrecking yard not too far from the house for a little SYT (Salvage Yard Therapy).

I found a clutch/brake pedal and hanger in a '72 with the upper rod and the frame side bracket (someone had already taken the bell crank). but, I got what was there.

I pulled a C-2 PS pump and brackets from an '83 pickup with a 300 and grabbed it. I spied another '80-something pickup with a 300 and also with the C-2 pump AND an A/C bracket with the compressor still intact. I didn't have time to get them but, I got a number of bolts loosened/removed to go back and get it later (if no one discovers it before I return).

I went by the scrap metal yard early this morning. They said a yellow Bumpside had just come in earlier in the week but, that they had already crushed it. The only thing I found there was a Dentside F600 dump truck. The instrument cluster had a lot of surface rust on it. The door wouldn't open but, I reached through the window to take the screws out of the bezel but, they were so rusted I couldn't turn them. --it got left behind.

I've thought for a while now that it would be nice to have a cart to haul around the toolbox and harvested wrecking yard parts, while out in the wrecking yard. With all my recent salvage yard activity, I finally decided to buy one today from Atwoods. --it even matches my truck --just needs some black wheels on it.

Quick Reply: Salvage Yard Therapy