1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any idea what this is??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Dov
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea what this is??

This is my first Super Duty (2010 w/ 6.4)... the dealer I bought the truck used from had no idea either. The top clear part blinks red and on the bottom there is a button. This is located on the bottom left of the dash under the steering wheel.

Also curious what the thing next to it is which looks like I can plug something into it.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:06 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dov
This is my first Super Duty (2010 w/ 6.4)... the dealer I bought the truck used from had no idea either. The top clear part blinks red and on the bottom there is a button. This is located on the bottom left of the dash under the steering wheel.

Also curious what the thing next to it is which looks like I can plug something into it.

Not sure on the first piece but the second thing is your OBD II port - the dealer uses it for programming the truck, places like Autozone can check any errors that you get (you can even do it yourself with a scanner). a tuner for the truck would also connect there.

On the first piece, see if you can trace where the wires are going to... that might help.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Dov
New User
Originally Posted by jimd1050
Not sure on the first piece but the second thing is your OBD II port - the dealer uses it for programming the truck, places like Autozone can check any errors that you get (you can even do it yourself with a scanner). a tuner for the truck would also connect there.

On the first piece, see if you can trace where the wires are going to... that might help.
Thanks! I thought it might be the OBDII.

On the other device, I traced the wires and they appear to go into a harness and out through the firewall, but I lose them before that happens. I am not looking at it now, but I believe their were four wires coming out of it. It blinks 24/7 regardless if the truck is off or I am driving. It is in a spot where it isn't bothersome, but I am just curious what it is!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket alarm system maybe?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Iaff113
Aftermarket alarm system maybe?

My vote...........

Old 04-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Alarm would be my guess too. Did it come with another key fob? The button on the bottom is to reset the alam after it was set. Off

Old 04-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Dov
New User
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
My vote...........
That is odd though... One owner truck. I have both key sets with factory alarm remotes which work like they should.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you know what the truck was previously used for? Have you pushed the button? Could be a positive air shutoff switch.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Dov
New User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Do you know what the truck was previously used for? Have you pushed the button? Could be a positive air shutoff switch.
Just tried to push it as if it was a valet switch and nothing. I alsi tried it while driving and couldn't tell a difference.

I know it was used to haul livestock gooseneck and other ranch stuff. Was owned by a lady.

It is a mint condition 2010 KR CCSB with only 58k, so don't think anything too crazy.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
when does it blink?? like is the truck running at the time or everything off?? if its off then its most likely an alarm. some of the alarm systems when they came with "replacement" remotes to use in place of the factory ones they would have those buttons to retrain new remotes to them... friends truck we had to hold it for 5 seconds to enter the program mode.. then the horn beeped to tell you it was in... you pressed the remote buttons and the truck would beep again to say it was programed.. you wouldnt press anything for a about 10 seconds it would beep once more to say it was exiting programing mode...

Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Dov
New User
Originally Posted by Sparky83
when does it blink?? like is the truck running at the time or everything off?? if its off then its most likely an alarm. some of the alarm systems when they came with "replacement" remotes to use in place of the factory ones they would have those buttons to retrain new remotes to them... friends truck we had to hold it for 5 seconds to enter the program mode.. then the horn beeped to tell you it was in... you pressed the remote buttons and the truck would beep again to say it was programed.. you wouldnt press anything for a about 10 seconds it would beep once more to say it was exiting programing mode...
Blinks twice, then off, blinks twice then off, etc. It does it all the time, whether running/driving or not.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Dov
Blinks twice, then off, blinks twice then off, etc. It does it all the time, whether running/driving or not.
hmmm unsure then... the alarms only blink when the vehicles are off... hopefully youll be able to follow it through the firewall sometime if it leads through it...

Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Only reason that nothing happens when you push the button is because you are out of car to car missiles or bullets.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Dov
New User
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
Only reason that nothing happens when you push the button is because you are out of car to car missiles or bullets.
That's what I was thinking... Going to have to arrange a meeting with Q.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:08 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
I think there has to be someone in the passenger seat when you push the button. Its an ejection seat. Seriously though, someone knows alot about the PO,why don`t you just make a phone call and ask her?

Quick Reply: Any idea what this is??