1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activating cruise on an XL without

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Bueller
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Activating cruise on an XL without

Hi,
Searched here and all over the interwebs...truck is a 2003 f-250 with a 5.4. I'm adding cruise control with factory parts, and am trying to figure out how this part works. I'm assuming I need to get the pcm flashed to get the cruise function activated...now does it 'have' to be from a dealer, or is it possible to turn it on through a tuner/custom tune? Is there another way? Just trying to get educated on this...thx!

Frank

Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Best thing to do is ask the custom tunes guys directly on their websites. My guess is "no" since the tunes are basically performance mods versus function mods like cruise control.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:36 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to guess if your XL didn't come with the power equipment package (power windows, locks, etc) you will need to upgrade the BCM to get it activated.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Bueller
Tuned
And I suppose the BCM is linked to the PCM and probably the VIN as well?

Frank

Old 04-05-2015, 12:28 AM
burk4175
New User
Originally Posted by NYCruiser
I'm going to guess if your XL didn't come with the power equipment package (power windows, locks, etc) you will need to upgrade the BCM to get it activated.
I have a 1999 f250 xl without power windows and door locks but it has cruise control

Old 04-05-2015, 07:08 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Not sure about the older trucks, but on my '15 XL if I want to add factory fog lights I was told I would need to upgrade the BCM if I didn't have the power equip group. The power equip group adds the XLT BCM so they become plug and play. I just checked my window sticker and cruise wasn't part of that package though. Cruise was part of the XL Value Package. Not sure what that means. Could be that the OP just needs to have the dealer add the Cruise Control sales code to his truck with a flash.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Not sure about the older trucks, but on my '15 XL if I want to add factory fog lights I was told I would need to upgrade the BCM if I didn't have the power equip group. The power equip group adds the XLT BCM so they become plug and play. I just checked my window sticker and cruise wasn't part of that package though. Cruise was part of the XL Value Package. Not sure what that means. Could be that the OP just needs to have the dealer add the Cruise Control sales code to his truck with a flash.
The system on your '15 is completely different. Yours has drive-by-wire, which means the PCM controls your throttle body directly. All cruise control does on your truck is tell the PCM to adjust throttle to hold a certain speed.

The older trucks before 2005 don't have DBW. The cruise control is a completely standalone system that I don't believe interacts with the PCM. If I remember right there are about twelve wires that go into the cruise control harness, including a brake pedal sensor, pedal position sensor, speed sensor, control circuits that go to the buttons, and a few others. It's a relatively simple system, but I'm not sure if trucks made without cruise are wired for it.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
So if the OP gets the factory kit with the appropriate harness and wiring it should just plug and play, no flash required. I think that was his original question.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
So if the OP gets the factory kit with the appropriate harness and wiring it should just plug and play, no flash required. I think that was his original question.
IF the inputs and wiring are all there. Which I'm not sure they are. If not it would be quite the wiring adventure.

ON edit: This isn't going to be easy, just checked and the master cylinder has different part numbers with and without cruise. This means the BPP sensor on the master cylinder isn't present on trucks without cruise, so at a minimum he'll need a new master cylinder and BPP sensor. That leads me to believe none of the other wiring is there.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 AM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Right. He should probably get the instructions and check for the right plugs before he buys it. It would seem like Ford wouldn't have multiple harnesses for the same model trucks and the wiring would be there sans the final accessory harness that comes with the kit.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Bueller
Tuned
The wiring is all there. I got the steering wheel and clockspring out of an older ('99ish). Steering wheels are the same (except with buttons, of course), clock spring was a little bit different. It had a 8 way plug on the end, where the truck has a 6 way plug. Its the same style plug, so I unlatched the terminals and put them into my plug. There were 3 blank holes on the bottom row. The wires for the cruise were already there (on the truck side), and the colors between clock spring and truck harness were the same colors. Same with the two way plug at the air bag. Different plug shape, same terminals.
On the servo side of it, I found the 10 way plug on the passenger fender capped off with a blank. Took a picture of the plug and wires for identification, went to pick and pull, and snagged a servo off of an '01 F-150. All the colors matched up and its the same plug. If I had to guess, I'd say the difference between the 150 and 250, is either the length of the cable, or what direction it comes out of the servo. The servo even says f150,F250,Exp,Nav on it. Just kind of mocking it up, I'm confident I can make that work. Reason I did that is that superduty's rarely show up at the yards around here. Spent $40 so far, lol. the brake switch wiring and connector is also there, zip tied to another harness with a blank on it.
So now the only hold up is the master cylinder and switch, and making sure it all plays nicely with the GEM, VCM or whatever it is. That's the only piece left of the puzzle.

Frank

Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sounds like you've been doing your homework. That master cylinder switch doesn't do a thing for the PCM or BCM, it only exists for cruise. Sounds like once you get your hands on a new master cylinder and BPP sensor you'll be in business.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 AM
Bueller
Tuned
Ok...just for an update to those in the same boat.
I decided to test the system w/o the 'cruise' master cylinder by taking a piece of wire and jumping the connector. Did the self test just to see if there's life, and it ran through the test smoothly (didn't even apply the e-brake, like the directions said). Took it out for a test drive, and what do you know...it works great. Dash light comes on and everything. I did not attempt to get it flashed or anything. I'm guessing that's just for the diesel guys, or guys with newer trucks. I spent right at $35. $15 for the steering wheel and clock spring, $20 for the cruise servo. Prolly gonna drill and tap the m/c to make it legit, and I'm building a new bracket for the servo, since the one that came with it won't mount up. Thanks for all your help!

Frank

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Grizzly4x4
Tuned
I was thinking about adding this myself. Could you post some pictures as you go?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prolly gonna drill and tap the m/c to make it legit
You'll be lucky if that pressure passage both exists and is functional. Then finding the correct SAE ORB cutter might be a chore... plus the price of the sensor.

...how much would it be to just get the correct master cylinder?

Quick Reply: Activating cruise on an XL without