1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.30 gears, Is this the right choice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:12 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.30 gears, Is this the right choice?

Ok first off I have 3 weeks to get this done.

I have a 2001 F250 V10 4x4 93,000miles with 3.73 gears. I have a 28' bumper pull camper at 9,000lbs loaded. The farthest I have towed this is about 250-300 miles. Towing I only get about 165 miles per tank of gas. Truck runs about 3000 rpm, I try to keep it about 60-65mph but have had to get up to 80mph. I live in Southeast Idaho. We have a lot of steep grades and hills. No flat towing here.

Now for my job I have to head to Dickinson, ND for 4 months. Going into the oil fields cost of living is really high. So taking my trailer looks like the best option. I will be traveling 800 miles towing up some steep grades.

My first thought was to buy a cheap small trailer. But the RV parks their don't want any trailers older then year 2000. So to buy something it will cost me $6000+.

Now I think I will just upgrade my truck instead. I just ordered a SPD Y Pipe. The guy at SPD said he can ship it out Monday. I already have a Magna Flow High flow cat and muffler.

Next I was thinking Gears or a 5 star tuner. I wish I could do both but I don't think I could do both right now.

As for gears. My truck does not tow heavy a lot. It has been more of a daily driver. So I am not looking to take away my drivability. I run stock tires 265/75/16 and stock ride height, that will never change.

Would 4.30 gears be the right choice? What is a good set, front and rear? Is their a break in period on these? Has anyone had the dealer do this? Is $2000 a realistic cost to have both axles done?

I know a lot off people on here love 5 star tuners. But I still think maybe gears are the right way to go.

Then anyone recommend a good car alarm? Being in the oil fields I know the crime rate is high. I want to protect what is mine, and my .40s&w will only work if I am their.

I know their is a lot of info on FTE about these things, but I want help with my specific needs. And like I said I have 3 weeks before I leave. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
The 4.30 swap would be a great way to go. I believe youre right on about ghe cost for the swap. The tuner costs about $500-$600. Two ends of the spectrum. Id start with the gears and get a tuner later. Im a big believer in 5Star but the gears are the best to start if you're running 3.73. The 3.73 gears are hard core for a gas powered super duty IMO. They let the V10 roar on the hills.

You can go with a Cyclopse for security. Google it. Ive had a one for a few years and have had no problems with it. It will also keep your work buddys from screwing with you too

Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would absolutely do gears over the tuner.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:56 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the 5Star tuner from Mike and it works great!! I pull a 10.5K 5th wheel and just went with 4:30 gears from Randy's Ring and Pinion. Was about 3200.00 to have them installed which included all new bearings. The gears made a huge difference.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:34 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Thanks for the reply's. I just made an appointment for next week at Six State Distributors in Orem, UT. They were recommended by someone on this site. They are a 4x4 specialty shop. I talked to the guy who installs them, that is all he does. Seems like a really nice guy on the phone. It will be a 200 mile trip plus a night in a motel. He quoted $1700 for both axles using Yukon brand gears. I will have him put in new u joints in the front while everything is apart. Then he said if I need anything else at the time he will replace those too. I did have my ball joints, tie rods, and steering box replaced in the last 4 years.

I am just hoping I am making the right choice. It seems most people go with 4.56 ratio's. The shop even said he rarely installs the 4.30 ratio.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe the 4:30's would be your best option. 4:56's and you're getting really low geared. If you do a lot of towing all the time, then perhaps that would be the way to go. But with 4:30's, you still have gearing for towing, but not too much that would hurt your everyday driving.

It would be great if you could add some tunes too!!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2006 F250 V10 had 4:10 gears and I would pull a gooseneck trailer full of hay or a tractor that far exceeded the weight you are talking about. To be honest I think your over thinking what you need. Yes, the gears would give you some grunt in the way of towing torque to the ground. The 5 Star would offer better shift point and utilization of transmission torque assuming we are talking an automatic transmission. It would also deliver a little better throttle response.

But, if you are talking about a one time round trip with the trailer in tow you are never going to experience a true return on your investment. The V10 is a powerful motor and work horse. It loves to rev high in the RPM range which is where is makes it's power both HP and TQ.

Towing I would run 65 to 70+MPH, but if I was heading up hill and did not have the opportunity to get a good run going before the hill I simply wasn't going as fast when I reached the top.............big deal.

My advice would to be leave earlier if your in a hurry, slow down when needed and enjoy the trip both directions.

How realistic is it to put $2K worth of gears in a $7K truck?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Better return on investment if you put the $2K down on a smaller trailer that you can sell when the 4 months is up IMO. Gear swap will cost you in fuel the rest of the time you own the truck daily driving it.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
I had a '99 V10 CC SWB 2WD Lariat. It came with the 3.73. I lived in Mountain Home at the time. I installed a tuner but if I ran the towing or performance tunes I had to use 91 octane so the cost was too much. I had the Ford dealer in Mountain Home put in a 4.10 gear from Ford. The 4.30 was not available for my truck from Ford. After the gear change I saw better fuel mileage towing my 5th wheel but my highway mileage dropped to about 13 or 14. You will need to drive thousands of miles towing to ever see a return on your investment. I would just go as it is and turn off the overdrive and take it slow and easy.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
My 2006 F250 V10 had 4:10 gears and I would pull a gooseneck trailer full of hay or a tractor that far exceeded the weight you are talking about. To be honest I think your over thinking what you need. Yes, the gears would give you some grunt in the way of towing torque to the ground. The 5 Star would offer better shift point and utilization of transmission torque assuming we are talking an automatic transmission. It would also deliver a little better throttle response.

But, if you are talking about a one time round trip with the trailer in tow you are never going to experience a true return on your investment. The V10 is a powerful motor and work horse. It loves to rev high in the RPM range which is where is makes it's power both HP and TQ.

Towing I would run 65 to 70+MPH, but if I was heading up hill and did not have the opportunity to get a good run going before the hill I simply wasn't going as fast when I reached the top.............big deal.

My advice would to be leave earlier if your in a hurry, slow down when needed and enjoy the trip both directions.

How realistic is it to put $2K worth of gears in a $7K truck?
Comparing a 06 v10 truck with 4.10's (I own one) to a 01 v10 with 3.73's (Dad has a 00 with 3.73's) isn't exactly comparing apples to apples, the 4.10's are amost 4.30', the 3v v10 has more torque and the 06 has a five-speed auto vs four on the 01. The 2v v10's kind of defy the common logic of gearing.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Ok now I am wondering more. I am going to try and see if I can talk to Mike at 5Star tomorrow and see what he says.

As far as investing 2k in my truck that is not a concern for me as I plan on keeping my truck for as long as I can. I keep really good care of it.

I was thinking of buying a smaller trailer. But some RV parks don't want anything older then a 2000 model year. I have been looking for something around a 21'-23', but it seems like I would end up spending $6-8,000. My current camper is paid for. And I really like it.

My job in the summer is starting to do a lot of construction projects all over. They offer us man camps to live in, but who wants to live with there co workers all summer? Sharing the same room, bathroom, kitchen and common room. Hell I can't stand half the guys I work with now. So I can imagine living with them.

So it seems if I want to keep working through the summer I will be doing a lot of traveling and towing. That is another issue as while I am on the road my truck will be my daily driver driving 20-40miles a day.

I know doing the y pipe modification is the right direction. I would like to do Banks headers. I just need to find a shop I trust to install them.

So I am beginning to think gears might be the wrong way to go. I do see everyone's point. I was already planning to take 2 days to go the 800 miles.

Thanks for the input so far.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Headers and a tuner are going to cost just as much as a gear swap. I think the gears and y pipe are the way to go. In a couple months you could easily order the tuner. If you plan on keeping the truck get the gears installed and enjoy it. 4.30's were a factory option, its not going to kill the mileage. Would probably improve on both sides.

Also does your truck have a limited slip?

Have you put any thought into adding a true-trac or rear locker while doing the gear swap?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Also does your truck have a limited slip? It does have a limited slip.

Have you put any thought into adding a true-trac or rear locker while doing the gear swap?

Not sure if I really need a true-trac or rear locker. My truck does not go off road. Very limited gravel roads. I have not had any issues with the snow and ice I drive in.

What would be the benefit to have those?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:09 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandBlueV10
Not sure if I really need a true-trac or rear locker. My truck does not go off road. Very limited gravel roads. I have not had any issues with the snow and ice I drive in.

What would be the benefit to have those?
My truck has a LS rear. I have noticed it work when rounding corners in the wet. If I get it loose the other side starts working so there is always momentum.

The tru-trac is a clutch-less limited slip diff. From what I have seen here is they are a bit more forgiving than a locker but stronger and will not wear out like a factory LS. If spending on this on gears and what not I think it would be wise to add a LS. Especially for towing a trailer, never know when you will be in a sketchy campground, oil field or what not.

Here is a thread about the Locker in a Super Duty daily driver as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-report.html

Also being that you will now be out of your current elements, albeit something similar something like this could really assist.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If you've never needed a locker before, you don't need one now. You are already at the point of spending money that you con't recoup, so why spend more on something that offers you no advantage? A traction-aiding device is nice, but only if your needs justify it. I've had them, but my current two trucks don't, and I haven't missed it.

I don't think you will regret swapping to 4.30's. It isn't cheap, but sooner or later, you are going to have to do service on the axles; you are killing two birds right now.

If you suffer out the trip with the stock gears, spending a little more on fuel, you will make it fine and have a lot of money left in your pocket. But, you will enjoy your truck more with the 4.30's, over the long haul. You will be moving your camper around for personal use, so they will serve you well then, too. I'd go with the gears, think past this one trip (it's hard to justify the cost for just one trip), and still have a very usable truck.

Quick Reply: 4.30 gears, Is this the right choice?