6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Michelin LTX AT2 Separated

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
They were probably the Wrangler Silent Armor with Kevlar line as the Adventure wasn't out in 2010 either. So, still not what I'm referring to.

Anyways, sure we can have problems with any brand. Completely agree. But if I'm going to have problems (or not) with a tire, at least I'd like something with a tread that actually functions in conditions other than dry pavement and lasts for a reasonable amount of time when towing heavy. Michelin AT's fail in both regards.
I agree they are bad for a AT tire. It's the design and the way they snip the tires or what ever you call it for what's needed for Mud and Snow. I found the MS/2's actually did better in the long run then the AT/2's

Old 04-08-2015, 05:54 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
I had heavy wear on mine after less than 20k miles. Granted, that's with 16k behind the truck for over half that time. I also plowed with the truck and traction IMHO should have been better with an AT tire.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM
chperry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late last year I had 4 new Michelin AT/2 tires installed. I immediately had vibration problems. The tire store broke them down, rotated them 90 degrees on the wheels, and remounted. The vibration was no better. They finally did a road force balance and found 3 of the tires were bad! They replaced them the same day and all seems fine now.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:53 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i had one of those tires do the same exact thing as Gunny77's tire..
make sure you keep that thing outside or get rid of it RIGHT AWAY if you haven't already! it will EXPLODE on it's own just sitting there. I took mine off because it was all gnarly like that and put the spare on.. had it sitting in my garage and it exploded just sitting still!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 114 Posts
Interesting discussion on the Michelins. I was always a big Michelin fan but not as much now. I have the AT2 OEM on my F350. Have about 10K on the AT2's that are just 2 years old. Summer tires stored away from light and heat in the barn during the winter and when I put them back on yesterday the tire guys had me come look at the tires in the shop. There is a lot of cracking and weathering right at the bead where the tire and rim meet. The rest of the sidewall looks OK, it is just a narrow band about a half inch wide on all 4 tires right at the bead line. Not leaking air but I'm wondering how well these will hold up towing in the heat. Just a note of caution - perhaps you should take a look at your tires for the same thing. I'd be interested in any feedback from others here experiencing the same thing. I have already contacted Michelin and they said take the truck to a Michelin authorized center for review. We'll see what they have to say.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Shawn, Is there a follow up available ?
TIA

Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
Shawn, Is there a follow up available ?
TIA
The Michelin dealer says normal - nothing to worry about. Personally I think the weathering is more than normal but Michelin says it is just surface cracking due to UV and nothing to be done. For a supposed 60,000 mile tire I doubt I get 25,000 out of them!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Thanks Shawn !
Sorry you didn't have a better outcome

Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
Thanks Shawn !
Sorry you didn't have a better outcome
I don't feel horrible. I've not been impressed with this particular tire selection anyway. Lousy traction on anything but pavement, the tread is wearing faster than I would have expected and the sidewall cracking, which may not be a safety issue but certainly erodes confidence.

My next set of tires for this rig will probably be these: Nokian Rotiiva AT - The best all season tires for northern conditions / Nokian Tires

Several other FTE members up here in the boondocks speak highly of them. I have run Nokians in winter and always had great luck. Seems worth a try for these all seasons that actually get a severe weather rating even though they are called all seasons. Looks like way better tread for traction on mud and wet grass.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:28 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
I'll spend more fixing the truck than replacing the tires.

Just had an AT2 separate at 70 mph. Took the quarter panel and exhaust with it. I am not pleased.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by T8R
Just had an AT2 separate at 70 mph. Took the quarter panel and exhaust with it. I am not pleased.
WOW. What was the pressure when it failed?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 AM
lanedecamp
Junior User
We had a fair amount of trouble with Michelin LTX AT2's on several vehicles. Two showed premature feathering on all four tires with less than 6K miles on new trucks. One developed separation irregularities on both rear tires within 10K miles (no towing, bed pallet loads around 800 lbs or so). One had a sidewall separation. One developed a bulge not from a separation but from what looked like some other kind of manufacturing defect. All were OEM tires. We learned quickly that OEM Michelins are nothing like replacement ones; the latter are much better made. The feathering problem didn't go away with new Michelins and finally Michelin swapped us for a couple sets of BFG All Terrain KO's and we never had a problem again.

Michelin is actually pretty good about warranties and even going beyond them if you are courteous but stand your ground. They understand you are out of pocket if one of their tires goes and that confidence is reduced in the brand, so they do try to keep you in the fold. I found my truck dealers were always very good at negotiating a much better deal for us with Michelin -- that's how we got the BFG's.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That stinks. I ditched my OEM Michelins with 14k miles on them. They were starting to chunk tread blocks.

Are the newer trucks coming with Toyo AT2s on them? I have seen several with them.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Spur of the Moment
New User
Just like Gunny77 said, I had a similar situation. Yesterday I had a LTX AT2 (LT 275/65R20E) start bouncing wildly and then a loud blowout on the right front. Looks like the tread separated. 31,350 miles. I replace the two rear tires at 27,000 for premature wear. Tomorrow I'm replacing the two fronts with BF Goodrich.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Michelin does a good job of credit towards new tires of their brand or parent company tires. I had new AT/2's come with my 2016.... put 10k on them and called them to complain I didn't like them. I had had them on my 08 6.4.. wore badly.. poor AT tire. Didn't seperate or anything just wore odd. Got credit then too.
On the 2016 They gave me 60 % off new set of MS/2's... much better tire..have used them 3 time in the past... I probably could of pushed them for more then 60%.. they were very very easy to try to help me. just called customer service.. had a local Michelin dealer do the install and take the deal. He still made his full mark up.
So if you have issues just call customer service and talk to one of the women there and tell her the story.

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX AT2 Separated