Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Another addition to the chapter: PPatty1

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:00 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another addition to the chapter: PPatty1

We have another addition to the chapter: PPatty1 Welcome!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:24 PM
PPatty1
New User
Thank you for the welcome to the Arkansas chapter! I own a 1983 Ford F150 300 I-6 engine with 4WD and 4 on the floor. The granny gear has been useful for pulling out stumps! I named her Peppermint Patty because she is one tough chick! Ha ha! Anyway, I am having an issue with the motor that I am hoping you all might have some advice on. I bought the truck two years ago from the original owner with 83,000 original miles on it and I have close to 94,000 on it now. He kept a log book on it for repairs and I have a complete history on the truck. I have had issues with it idling smoothly and wobbling when I shift into 4th gear under light acceleration. When I press down harder on the gas pedal, it levels out. I have noted the gas mileage has also been suffering. I used to get 18 with it, now it is only getting about a dismal 10mpg. I see the engine wobbling when I have it running in the driveway with the hood open. I had the carburetor rebuilt, put in two in line fuel filters, and put Stabil in the gas tank since I don't drive her that often. There are four little plastic vacuum modules that I can't see any part numbers that are about the diameter of a dime that I am wondering if they aren't functioning properly. I also have a new air filter, breather and PCV valve in it. There is one large vacuum module on the air intake and near it another plastic module about the diameter of a quarter as well. I had a new air pump, EGR valve and an a/c dryer put in last summer. It ran fine until I drove it to South Dakota in August to clean out my old house up there. I was about half way there, near Kansas City when I thought I heard a "crack" in the motor and it started running rough. I immediately pulled off the highway and checked the fluids for any leaks or at worst, a rod sticking out of the engine block. Nothing. I have heard of rods breaking in those old I-6 motors and they keep chugging along, but I am really hoping it is a vacuum issue. I have looked through the shop manuals Ford produced for that truck but I can't find the part numbers for those modules. The auto parts websites have also not been much help on finding those either. I prefer to fix it myself rather than paying a mechanic to do it, but I am not sure I can get this done myself. Have any of you out there had a similar experience with your trucks and what was the diagnosis? Thank you in advance for your help and recommendations.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome to the chapter!
Pretty sure the problem you describe isn't going to be vacuum related. First thing I would do is pull the plug wires one by one with it running to pinpoint which cylinder is dead. From there run a compression check. Could be as simple as a broken rocker arm or pushrod, hopefully not a connecting rod.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the chapter
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Pretty sure the problem you describe isn't going to be vacuum related. First thing I would do is pull the plug wires one by one with it running to pinpoint which cylinder is dead. From there run a compression check. Could be as simple as a broken rocker arm or pushrod, hopefully not a connecting rod.
I'm with Jeff on the possible dead cylinder. Now the vacuem leak could/would lead to it having a rough idle..but right now I think that's the least of your issues.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM
PPatty1
New User
Thank you for the advice

Good afternoon everyone,

I tried the pulling of the wires with the motor running. It amazed me that the motor continued to run smoothly as I temporarily disabled each cylinder for a minute. The engine idle speed dropped a little as I did the test on each cylinder until I got to the one closest to the front of the engine block. The idle speed did not drop on that one. I know each cylinder is getting a spark as I managed to get zapped by each one. The plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all new too. I am hoping your idea of a broken rocker arm or push rod is the issue, as I saw they are easily accessible under the rocker arm cover. I tried to look up the firing order to determine the cylinder number, but no luck. But the physical location should be enough to relay to the mechanic as I don't have the equipment to do a compression test, nor do I like getting into the internal workings of the motor. Thank you again for helping me track down the issue. I greatly appreciate it.