1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flathead fan issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:40 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flathead fan issues

First nice day of the year, figured Id go out and see if i could get my fan mounted on my 1950 Ford F2. I purchased my fan on Ebay and it came complete with the mount. I was told the 1950 F2 had the 5/8 belt, so thats what I went with. But it appears that the mount is to wide for the grooves on the engine. I am very new to this so I may be doing something wrong. I got the parts disk but couldn't get a good pic. Posting a pic of my engine, shouldn't the fan mount evenly with the grooves below? If so am I needing a 3/8 model? I do not have a generator/alternator yet. Just thought thats where the fan should go, right below that threaded extension in the middle. Hope im making sense lol, thanks guys.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
I believe you need the generator mount, and then the fan actually bolts on to that.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:48 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Ok, I was hoping cause everyone I spoke to was pretty convinced the fan I got should work. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

If you don't have it, you are going to need a bolt and washer similar to this:

Flathead Generator Fan Mount Kit

The square washer is a pain, because you have to keep it straight while tightening down the generator bracket, otherwise the fan bracket won't fit.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:56 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Would I need that if I went with the alternator? How many do I need?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMallory

The square washer is a pain, because you have to keep it straight while tightening down the generator bracket, otherwise the fan bracket won't fit.
After many hours wrangling with that, I figured out how to beat it. You put the fan on the gen mount with no belts, far enough up that the washer is engaged and square. With only the generator belt on, tighten up the gen belt and tighten the big nut and washer. Then loosen the fan bolts, drop the fan down enough to put on the belt, then slide it back up until tight.

I've got plenty of generator mounts if you need one, Doc. You really need to get a manual so you can see what you're working with.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
After many hours wrangling with that, I figured out how to beat it. You put the fan on the gen mount with no belts, far enough up that the washer is engaged and square. With only the generator belt on, tighten up the gen belt and tighten the big nut and washer. Then loosen the fan bolts, drop the fan down enough to put on the belt, then slide it back up until tight.
That's good advice. I'll remember that for the next time I have to mess with it. Which hopefully isn't anytime soon.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:17 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Yes, you will still need the large nut/square washer combo for the alternator bracket. You will need one.

Here is mine installed. You can see the alternator bracket (A) behind the fan mounting flange. It is held on by the nut/square washer (C) The fan is then held to the alternator (or generator) bracket with a couple of regular bolts (B)

The way Ross explained is by far the best way to install the alternator, fan, and belts. It will save you time, frustration, and busted knuckles.

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Here's how it assembles. Just a whole lot harder to get to in the truck and with the gen and fan in place.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Here's how it assembles. Just a whole lot harder to get to in the truck and with the gen and fan in place.
Yeah, I believe the job requires no fewer than five cusswords. Or maybe I was just having a bad day.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I made a tool to lift the alternator (would be slightly different for a generator) out of 1/2" rod. Once you get the gen/alt up enough for the slot in the mount to be visible, stick the rod in thru the slot and pry up against the manifold surface. Works great!

The absolute best way is the way we tensioned Doc's generator. We put a strap around the gen, and used an engine hoist to lift it! Easy-peezy.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Those pictures were perfect, thank you. I have the manual and the parts disk, guess I need to study them a bit more. I appreciate the help. I was going to go with the alternator that looks like the old school generator. Done have the bracket yet but these pics and the advice was perfect. Thanks all!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:40 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Unfortunately it still looks like ill need to replace my 5/8 fan setup with a 3/8. My fan pulley is bigger than all the others.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
If that is your engine in the OP, all the pulleys look to be for wide belt?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Thats my engine. Heres my fan. Something just seems dif

ferent.

Quick Reply: Flathead fan issues