6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Another CCV Re-Route Thread (lots of pics) Suggestion's ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rellick
I've been toying with the idea for a while now too.
I think I would prefer a closed system, but now reading some of these guys that are open, I'm not sure...

Here's a few thoughts too, could easily be made closed or open.
CCV Catch Can Photos by Stroker67 | Photobucket
My $25 CCV Mod! Easy! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
NCHornet CCV Mod (Pics)

I'm just using these for reference to improve upon, but it seems like it's be pretty inexpensive.
Great Links, thanks for sharing
I will say this, even "most" of the people that are using these Catch-Can Set-Ups have just routed to Atmosphere.
Thats right, I read all those damn posts & my brain hurts

Old 04-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Rellick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
Great Links, thanks for sharing
I will say this, even "most" of the people that are using these Catch-Can Set-Ups have just routed to Atmosphere.
Thats right, I read all those damn posts & my brain hurts
Yer welcome, and...
LOL, I know the feeling! It's one of things I've gone back and forth on a bunch.

Like I said, I've been debating the differences too. What people said here (esp. Piolet), has really given me hope to go the cheaper/easier way. So... reps/thanks. I'll probably take it out the back and then put in the catch can if I notice too much oil (can't be any worse than the drip I have underneath).

Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rellick
I'll probably take it out the back and then put in the catch can if I notice too much oil
This is Exactly where Iam leaning myself, just going to run it out the back for now & "if" I see any dripping then I'll install a Catch-Can

The problem Iam having now is I like things to be "NEAT" so I really want this.... 6.0L Crank Case Ventilation Plug

Problem is they don't have Red anymore & the damn thing is $20 when its actually only worth maybe $5

Wish I could find it somewhere else on the Net or 1 like it but no luck yet

Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 AM
2civicrr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Will Bite

Hard to tell the hose orientation in the first pic so sorry if it doesn't apply. Try to make sure there aren't dips that can hold liquid blocking the free flow of air. Also, try to make sure the bottom of the hose isn't pointing up so it won't 'catch' water.

On the bottom pic, if you wanted, you could just use a pvc threaded male plug secured with a hose clamp directly into the oem air hose. You don't need to use the oem elbow. What I like about the pvc plug is that it has a smooth end inside the oem air hose so there is less turbulence.

I've been running an open hose for years and at least 100k miles. My hose runs back along the frame on the driver's side with the exit just prior to the fuel tank area. In other words, it is behind the cab (crewcab). I occasionally still get the 'oil' smell when stopped (at a light). It really depends on the wind.

I remove it and switch my programming back to stock for the smog checks. Oil will degrade the hose after a while. Last time I replaced it, I switched to a fuel/oil resistant hose that I found from Summit Racing for cheap.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2civicrr
Hard to tell the hose orientation in the first pic so sorry if it doesn't apply. Try to make sure there aren't dips that can hold liquid blocking the free flow of air. Also, try to make sure the bottom of the hose isn't pointing up so it won't 'catch' water.

On the bottom pic, if you wanted, you could just use a pvc threaded male plug secured with a hose clamp directly into the oem air hose. You don't need to use the oem elbow. What I like about the pvc plug is that it has a smooth end inside the oem air hose so there is less turbulence.

I've been running an open hose for years and at least 100k miles. My hose runs back along the frame on the driver's side with the exit just prior to the fuel tank area. In other words, it is behind the cab (crewcab). I occasionally still get the 'oil' smell when stopped (at a light). It really depends on the wind.

I remove it and switch my programming back to stock for the smog checks. Oil will degrade the hose after a while. Last time I replaced it, I switched to a fuel/oil resistant hose that I found from Summit Racing for cheap.
The first picture is straight down. Why would I spend more money to fix something thats been working fine? Everyone is over thinking this mod I think.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Rellick
Senior User
This is Exactly where Iam leaning myself, just going to run it out the back for now & "if" I see any dripping then I'll install a Catch-Can

The problem Iam having now is I like things to be "NEAT" so I really want this.... 6.0L Crank Case Ventilation Plug

Problem is they don't have Red anymore & the damn thing is $20 when its actually only worth maybe $5

That would certainly tidy things up, I agree. I spent half the day last weekend (while I was installing my clearance lights) rewiring some awful keyless entry wiring job. Anyway, a freeze plug would be fairly clean too, and you can paint it. =D

Old 04-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

If the part is aluminum you could strip off the anodize coating off and redo it.

Then there is color

This should give you some ideas and some thing to play with.

Sean

Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Will Bite
Why would I spend more money to fix something thats been working fine? Everyone is over thinking this mod I think.
haha, I think you're overthinking my post.

I don't expect you to change yours. The information is for people who haven't yet done the CCV mod.

added in edit: Rereading my above post, I can see that I worded it poorly. To be clear, my posts was meant to be informational for people doing or planning on doing the ccv mod.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM
F-250HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running Kevin's (NCHORNET) rig now for 5 years now, no engine sealing failures. Yep 5/8" heater hose, no oil in my intercooler and CAC tubes or turbo, and yes everything is burnt up in the engine. I get a couple of tablespoons of oil out at each change, I felt for the money (and support of a fellow Powerstroker) it was a good move. I have no regrets, nor am I upset about the price, add hose it's plug and play.

I just installed one on my son's truck:

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
^^^ Thanks for that update
Of all the "Self-Made Kits" I looked at on the Net the last few days, I liked NCHornet's design the best.
The only thing I wondered about lasting was the "plastic style dish scrubbers" inside but apparently it will last at least 5 years

Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You could always use steel wool I think I would look at Stainless Steel wool
for this job. No as likely to react with the gasses and moisture.

Sean

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Got it done (finally had the time) & it was no sweat
* Used a 1" id Braided PVC Hose, that I got @ Lowes for $2.29 ft (14 ft) & a 3/4 threaded PVC plug (like $1)

Forgot to take a routing Pic under the Hood but obviously it goes under the Coolant Tank, then I shot it downward between the Master Cylinder & Fuse Block. I will note that the large PVC Hose is not very flexible (tight turns won't happen).
Anyway this was a simple Mod that I way over-thought

Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Short Video I took to show how the smoke looks while idling, drove it around town afterward today & never could see any smoke coming out from under Truck, nor could I ever smell anything. Hope it stays that way

Does this look "normal" to you guy's who've already done this, I've read that you can tell alot about the condition of the engine by the smoke

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Ford_Fan1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^looks pretty normal to me, was that a hot idle?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 AM
Rellick
Senior User
Nice!

Quick Reply: Another CCV Re-Route Thread (lots of pics) Suggestion's ??