6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Application of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Application of Power

My '11 F 350 was a smooth truck. It applied power in a smooth fashion picking up steam like a locomotive.

But my '15 with 60 lbs of torque more, does not seems as smooth in its application. Sometimes I feel like too much power is being applied and at other times too little, both requiring me to adjust my foot on the go pedal heavier or lighter.

I have about 1600 miles.

Am I dreaming this or is anyone else thinking along these lines???

Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Javi1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a problem I'm having.. in fact the '15 is a good bit smoother than the '12 I traded.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
My '11 F 350 was a smooth truck. It applied power in a smooth fashion picking up steam like a locomotive.

But my '15 with 60 lbs of torque more, does not seems as smooth in its application. Sometimes I feel like too much power is being applied and at other times too little, both requiring me to adjust my foot on the go pedal heavier or lighter.

I have about 1600 miles.

Am I dreaming this or is anyone else thinking along these lines???
I've noticed this too. Could be with the way the new turbo spools up? What bothers me more is the hill brake that seems to hold longer than it should. Also, I have to back out into a busy frontage road and unless I come to a complete stop while in reverse before shifting into drive, it just sits there with an annoying hesitation. Finally when it decides to go I'm way into the pedal and over accelerate. Not that I don't over accelerate sometime but this is mostly to keep someone from running up my rear.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
I've noticed this too. Could be with the way the new turbo spools up? What bothers me more is the hill brake that seems to hold longer than it should. Also, I have to back out into a busy frontage road and unless I come to a complete stop while in reverse before shifting into drive, it just sits there with an annoying hesitation. Finally when it decides to go I'm way into the pedal and over accelerate. Not that I don't over accelerate sometime but this is mostly to keep someone from running up my rear.
Sounds like what you are experiancing is the brake over power feature. It does take a second or two after you release the brake for power to be applied. Stops you from brake torqueing and spinning out the tires. Also, if you are on an incline (and in tow/haul I believe) the brakes will hold for a second or two longer to hold your trailer from rolling while you switch your foot from stop pedal to go pedal. My wife complains about this alot when I forget about it when towing our 5'er..... "Stop Jerking the camper!!!"

Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thom12
Sounds like what you are experiancing is the brake over power feature. It does take a second or two after you release the brake for power to be applied. Stops you from brake torqueing and spinning out the tires. Also, if you are on an incline (and in tow/haul I believe) the brakes will hold for a second or two longer to hold your trailer from rolling while you switch your foot from stop pedal to go pedal. My wife complains about this alot when I forget about it when towing our 5'er..... "Stop Jerking the camper!!!"
Yep that's it. Thanks for explaining that.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't get past the shift points, drives me so crazy I use M all the time.

Even when I'm towing, I never need more than 2500 engine rpms. The dang gearbox really likes to sit at 3000-3100 a lot and I hate it. The other issue is, in D almost every time I take my foot off the throttle it jumps to 6th gear. When I'm rolling at 45 mph I don't ever want sixth gear.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
You might want to get that checked out. Mine shifts very nicely. The only time I notice anything odd is when I'm unlocking gears with the toggle switch. It will stay in the lower gear a little longer than it seems like it should. I just attribute that to the computer trying to figure out what to do.

As for the power curve, it does act like a 2 stroke motorcycle with their 'power band' - the rpm's start going up and the boost starts going up and it puts you back in the seat. I like it!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Javi1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Thom12

Okay, that's what they're talking about... then YES my hill lock will hold me back for a split second.. One reason I don't notice it as badly as y'all is that I rarely go from brake to throttle in a hurry... I generally let the truck tell me when to apply pressure to the foot peddle.

I also generally back into my drive which does slope from the street toward the house, not because of the slope but for the idiots that think my street is a race track and take the corner on two wheels, rapidly accelerating to 40+ by the time they pass my drive.