1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Buying help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying help

I hope this appropriate here. I plan on purchasing a 49-52 F1. My dad's first ever truck was a 50 F1 he purchased used. To honor him I would like to get one and either restore it or rod it depending on its starting condition. I am an old gear head from the 60-70's. I have found these two close to me and would like to get some opinions on them. Good or bad. Pricing info and what I should expect to pay. Thanks in advance.

52 Ford F-1 Rat Rod

1951 ford truck

Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The first one does not seem too bad, though not what I would want. the second one seems to be priced excessively high for what it is. I would also question the paperwork as it is listed as a 51 yet has at least a 52 hood.
With either truck, I would be very concerned about proper documentation, the first because of the frame swap ( you no longer have the proper frame with the serial # attached), so is it titles as a Ford or a Chevy? The second truck because is it just the wrong hood, or is the title from another truck?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:14 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
I would lean toward the second, (51). I am also on the hunt for a truck, (48). The first one has a lot of non-Ford installed. For me, that's a no no. Especially considering the Mustang II front end and Ford 9 inch rear axle are two of the most popular swaps in hot rodding. Also, as has been said, title issues may result.
The second allows for a lot of your own modifications, if you should choose, without having to "undo" a lot of things you may not like. It would also be much, much easier to go back to all stock, were that your choice. In short, were I looking at those two trucks, (the prices are reasonable, if not just a little high, from what I have seen), I would avoid the first one, (52).

Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
So, the first one has had a frame swap and the second one is in 'excellent original condition' with a different engine, tranny, steering wheel, tail gate, bed, and wheels. I wouldn't touch either one personally independent of the asking prices that are about 2K high. But, then again, I'm kind of a grump.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I completely agree with FortyNiner. I would not be interested in either truck. I just didn't realize I was a grump...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
So, the first one has had a frame swap and the second one is in 'excellent original condition' with a different engine, tranny, steering wheel, tail gate, bed, and wheels. I wouldn't touch either one personally independent of the asking prices that are about 2K high. But, then again, I'm kind of a grump.
Don't forget seats.

Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I completely agree with FortyNiner. I would not be interested in either truck. I just didn't realize I was a grump...
We need to talk later.

I would say price is to high for the second. The first the price may be more reasonable, but if there are things you don't like, your cost will skyrocket with that one. I a stock kind of guy so the first one turns me off a bit more than the second.

I would suggest being patient when looking. Don't be afraid to travel or have a truck shipped. In the long run, you will be money ahead starting with something close to where you want to be as a finished truck.

You mentioned restore or rod. That can be a big swing. How much do you plan on driving your truck. Is the $10k range what you are looking to spend? We enjoy helping others spend money.
Your dads truck had a very different grill than these. If you haven't already be consider if you want the 48-50 style or the 51-52 style.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:49 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Wow, you guys are great. VERY good information. I was leaning more towards the second one but thought it was a bit high. I to don't like the Chebby frame under the first one. The reason I mentioned restore or rod was because most I am finding have started down the rod path and go backwards might be a bigger expense. Yes, I like to drive them so having more modern drive train doesn't bother me too much.
I can't remember for sure but I think my dads was a 50. I remember him under a pine tree pulling the motor and putting in a what I think was a flathead V8 instead of the six. I guess I know where I got my gearhead from huh? Yes, I would like to keep my initial purchase below $10K. Keep you eyes open and let me know what you see. Thanks so much~

Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
I have to agree with some of the statements made above but I remember when I was looking to purchase my first old truck, there was a lot I was not thrilled with, color being one. A good friend told me said I should consider the whole package and what I was getting good vs. bad because " you can't go down to the lot and buy a new one just like you like " they stopped making them 60 years ago". . That being said I purchased what was best for me and made the needed changes to to suit my taste. Although I still have that nasty yellow paint.

I also saw the second truck on Craigslist while killing time one afternoon and If I was to pick one, that would be it. You said you were a gear head from the
60's-70's and what I see already done to the truck is probably some of the stuff you would have done back then or even now. From the pictures the body looks pretty fair, the motor, trans and wheels are probably your style, I've changed the steering wheel on my truck 3 times now, so thats personal preference. As for the price in Florida, i think its closer than others think, pickins are slim down here, the only old metal around is usually brought in from some other state.

What area of Florida are you in ?

Theres a lot to consider, good luck.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the red one says 51 but the complete front end is a 52 so i'd be leary of a real barn find, just saying.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rdemilt

What area of Florida are you in ?

Theres a lot to consider, good luck.
Melbourne.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by homade
the red one says 51 but the complete front end is a 52 so i'd be leary of a real barn find, just saying.
I have looked at pics of 51's and 52's. I see some that say 51 that look just like a 52 and the other way around. What is the main difference to look for?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The first one has all the things you want to put on the second, disc brakes, dual mc, and if either has rotted areas that is a deciding factor. Remember these east coast trucks are not as plentiful in good condition. When you do find one rot and rust free its a gem.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't know how close this is to you, but it looks like a great restoration candidate:

Sweet 1951 Ford F1 Pickup

Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Just be aware that vehicles rust from the top down when they've been around the coast and subject to frequent salt air baths.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by purplewg
I have looked at pics of 51's and 52's. I see some that say 51 that look just like a 52 and the other way around. What is the main difference to look for?
An unmolested 51 has the FORD letters on the hood while on the 52s the letters are below the hood on the valance. There are other differences, this one is easiest to spot.

The 51 Jason linked is a good candidate. Certainly, it needs some work - but you'll not be undoing others' mods.

Quick Reply: Buying help