Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Poor truck visibility from rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:12 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daewoo
Most manufacturers design taillights so that the amount of light that is projected to the side is minimal and rear projection is a priority. This ensures that the driver isn't distracted by the "glow" in their side mirrors. The Ford engineers appear to have this formula backwards as is illustrated by your photo.
Those are the rear puddle lights, they are red so as not to hurt your night vision when walking pass the side of truck. Ford thinks of everything!!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Daewoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmccbride
Those are the rear puddle lights, they are red so as not to hurt your night vision when walking pass the side of truck. Ford thinks of everything!!
So they are only on while you are entering/exiting the vehicle?
If they are on all the time, are they visible from the side mirrors at night while driving?
I have not had the opportunity to drive one of these 2015s yet and this taillight thing has me scratching my head.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:44 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
So they are only on while you are entering/exiting the vehicle?
If they are on all the time, are they visible from the side mirrors at night while driving?
I have not had the opportunity to drive one of these 2015s yet and this taillight thing has me scratching my head.
I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered. I might have some answers Friday but the more I read about this the less happy I become. Maybe there will be aftermarket blinders we can attach to the tail lights to help out?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Camulos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually told that the brake lights were bright by my buddy and he said my front turn signal lights were "ridiculously bright" and I can see by the reflections off signs in front of me they are quite bright. Either way I will probably install one of the LED bumper strips just because.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:31 PM
riclar
Junior User
My taillights are quite bright and I don't see any bright light in my side view mirrors. There seems to be a lot of fuss over this. No way the truck would have made it into mass production if the tail lights did not meet DOT\Transport Canada codes. As stated before, I was followed through a heavy rainstorm\sleet and there was no problem with the tail light visibility.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM
sixseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most manufacturers design taillights so that the amount of light that is projected to the side is minimal and rear projection is a priority. This ensures that the driver isn't distracted by the "glow" in their side mirrors. The Ford engineers appear to have this formula backwards as is illustrated by your photo.
I noticed that. The red glow from the tail lights shines on the ground more to the sides than to the rear. I'm looking for the opportunity to get some film from behind on a rainy day. When I get it I will post it.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I've been watching for F150's around here and tonight it is wet and snowy, will see if I can get a look at any in this. Roads are wet so there may be some spray.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
sixseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer tells me that if I install the light bar or even if he installs the light bar, then I risk compromising my warranty for any problem related to the install of the light bar. That could include the radar in the tail lights, tow package "stuff" and anything else dealing with the lighting.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM
ccstp
Senior User
Originally Posted by riclar
My taillights are quite bright and I don't see any bright light in my side view mirrors. There seems to be a lot of fuss over this. No way the truck would have made it into mass production if the tail lights did not meet DOT\Transport Canada codes. As stated before, I was followed through a heavy rainstorm\sleet and there was no problem with the tail light visibility.
Exactly. Damn, some of you people love drama so much you create your own. One guy repeats a comment his wife made and everybody is ready to alter their $50,000 purchase. Zero faith in the brand of their truck and 100% faith in the comment made by some guys wife over the internet. This is craziness

Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ccstp
Exactly. Damn, some of you people love drama so much you create your own. One guy repeats a comment his wife made and everybody is ready to alter their $50,000 purchase. Zero faith in the brand of their truck and 100% faith in the comment made by some guys wife over the internet. This is craziness
Nope - But it did make me ask questions of both our "customer dis-service" folk, assigned to us by Ford, as well as my salesman. The Ford folk, inc "Bill Ford", have yet to reply in any shape, form, or fashion. And that's my beef with Ford - not that the tail lights aren't bright but that they won't even respond to us. (My expectation is that "Bill Ford" was an April Fool's joke. And, if someone from Ford is reading this and thinking "No, it really was Bill Ford" then s/he'd better think twice about correcting the situation. Right now I'm thinking "shame on me for falling for it", but if we are told it really was Bill Ford then shame on them, and him in particular, for asking us what we think of the new trucks and then not responding when we tell him.)

Having said that, I did talk to my salesman and we had a good conversation - about not only the tail lights but also the timing chain and the backup alarm. And he was able to satisfy me. Turns out there really was a problem with the timing chain, although it has been corrected. And, the backup alarm isn't a problem. But, I'm glad I asked.

The bottom line is that I know enough about the internet to know that you can prove anything you want from it. IOW, you have to take everything with a whole bunch of salt. However, if I hear something untoward I will follow up - as I did.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:56 PM
neojeff
New User
Do you guys know if this is for all the taillights or just the LED ones? I ordered a Lariat with the 501 package because i want a bench seat. Would love to have the LED lights but leg room won out. Do the regular tail lights look the same as these?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I thought it was the LED lights with the radar sensor for the BLIS. The sensor sits in the middle of the lens so the lens doesn't light - the light comes from the LED's surrounding the lens.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:44 PM
neojeff
New User
Just taking a quick look at my order form, and from the 501A package description it would appear that BLIS system is included with my truck. I would figure the sending units are in the same location. The tail lights ribbon effect might be illuminated by a regular bulb instead of a LED. Perhaps even dimmer.....

Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Interesting. Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Daewoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford just released an LED strobe light option for the Super Duty. Maybe they will offer a similar option on the back of the F150 that comes on with the wipers.
Ford Offers Amber Flashers for Super Duty - PickupTrucks.com News

Quick Reply: Poor truck visibility from rear