1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 7.3 Powerstroke turbo diesel more power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 AM
kfowler.98
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah thanks, I already have a intake so will I still need the one you said? But ok and do you have any idea how much torque that'll give it?

Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by kfowler.98
Ah thanks, I already have a intake so will I still need the one you said? But ok and do you have any idea how much torque that'll give it?
Just so you don't say k&n you may be OK. Sadly the ol standby k&n is not optimal on these.the k&n actually let's enough dirt by to damage the turbo blades.
I would guess 600lb ft neighborhood.
That combo was what I originally planned...I got a lil carried away lol

Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These engines generally make about double the torque that they do HP. So 300 HP is equal to about 600 ft/lb of torque, 400= 800, etc. That's due to the formula used to calculate HP and the fact that peak power in these engines is generally achieved at around 2500-3000 RPM. When you make your peak When you make your peak power in that range that's just the way the numbers generally work out.

These guys won't steer you wrong on the path of modifications (your wallet will hate them, though). I think you'd be really surprised at how a 300 HP truck runs when it's set up right. It's more power than you think. It's basically half again as much power as you're likely making now. That's a big improvement, and with a setup like that you'll have a truck that can be a reliable and dependable driver and work truck. It's probably best summed up as someone here has quoted in their signature line: "You can have fast, reliable, or cheap. Pick two."

Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM
kfowler.98
New User
I have a green intake not k&n but thanks for the help i'll definitely look into the stuff you mentioned.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
" lastly, black smoke is unburnt fuel, and bad for everyone. the "coal rollers" have brought so much attention to diesel trucks that there is now a bill before the federal government that if passed will make black smoke from the exhaust a $5,000 fine" <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
+1... Personally I like being able to drive my truck anywhere and everywhere.. I don't need some suit passing a bill that'll put me under the spotlight... There's a bunch of real good guys on here that will point you in the right direction with affective mods. Don't count on anyone to support "rolling coal" however..

Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 PM
kfowler.98
New User
I live in the middle of no where lol theres never any cops out here at all the school I go to is in a ghost town we have less than 200 people in our school...its ****ty but I don't really care about the coal as much as I do the power anyway

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I can see what you're saying. Here's the problem. Because of all the jerks out there over the years that have done stupid displays of blowing smoke in town, on people, etc, etc, it has created a hatred among many non-diesel owners towards us. What we are trying to do as a group is educate folks, especially young people, about the consequences of becoming one of those "coal rollers". It makes all of us look bad, and we have to face the consequences because of it. There are countless videos of these idiots posting their stupidity on the internet thinking it's funny, only to realize these videos are providing the politicians the evidence they need to come down hard on all of us. Why do you think it's so difficult and expensive to do a delete on the late model diesel trucks? Doesn't matter what brand, Ford, Dodge, GM. And the number one reason people still do it is for the increase in mileage, and the elimination of the one thing that causes problems on the newer trucks. Tractor/truck pulls and drag racing events are fine for that kind of stuff. But on the street, no. As a group we would like to police ourselves without the government doing it, but we are fighting a losing battle. It only takes a couple idiots to make us all look bad. That's what we are trying to eliminate.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I can see what you're saying. Here's the problem. Because of all the jerks out there over the years that have done stupid displays of blowing smoke in town, on people, etc, etc, it has created a hatred among many non-diesel owners towards us. What we are trying to do as a group is educate folks, especially young people, about the consequences of becoming one of those "coal rollers". It makes all of us look bad, and we have to face the consequences because of it. There are countless videos of these idiots posting their stupidity on the internet thinking it's funny, only to realize these videos are providing the politicians the evidence they need to come down hard on all of us. Why do you think it's so difficult and expensive to do a delete on the late model diesel trucks? Doesn't matter what brand, Ford, Dodge, GM. And the number one reason people still do it is for the increase in mileage, and the elimination of the one thing that causes problems on the newer trucks. Tractor/truck pulls and drag racing events are fine for that kind of stuff. But on the street, no. As a group we would like to police ourselves without the government doing it, but we are fighting a losing battle. It only takes a couple idiots to make us all look bad. That's what we are trying to eliminate.
Preach on...

Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As a group we would like to police ourselves without the government doing it, but we are fighting a losing battle. It only takes a couple idiots to make us all look bad. That's what we are trying to eliminate.
Repped - your post (didn't want to quote the whole thing) sums it up.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Great post John! Tried to rep you but no dice.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:12 PM
kfowler.98
New User
Originally Posted by fordman67
Good luck with that edge.they are known to kill our pcm's so be weary of that.
If you want power you need to decide on a budjet. The sky is the limit on these but they are cash hungry.

You are prob making under 200 HP at the tires . that 300+ will never happen with stock injectors,turbo,hpop,fuel pump. Ask me how I know.
So about that edge tuner how it messes with my pcm how does a dp tuner do? I heard nothing but good about them

Old 04-11-2015, 04:09 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
You will be fine with dp,hydra,ts style chips and any of the custom tuners for said devices.

Tuners that many use can include

Tony wildman

Jody (dp tuner)

Gear head

Power hungry

Power-struck

There may be more but thats just my real quick list off the top of my head.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM
kfowler.98
New User
Edge tuner

Originally Posted by fordman67
You will be fine with dp,hydra,ts style chips and any of the custom tuners for said devices.

Tuners that many use can include

Tony wildman

Jody (dp tuner)

Gear head

Power hungry

Power-struck

There may be more but thats just my real quick list off the top of my head.
Yeahh my edge tuner kinda messed my truck up I want a dp

Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kfowler.98
Yeahh my edge tuner kinda messed my truck up I want a dp
There are many horror stories about them.pretty sad that they suck and there are no avenues to custom tune with that platform.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Can we get this on billboards, newspapers, the evening news, youtube, facebook, etc...the message needs to get out there by responsible ADULT diesel owners that our community doesn't endorse "Rolling Coal". That crap annoys me to no end. Its one thing if you blow some smoke under load, or at a truck pull or something but just doing it on the street cause you and your friends think its cool, is anything but cool.