1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

How to spiffy up the pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to spiffy up the pickup

Hey guys I'll be taking my truck to prom soon (yes, I'm only a junior in highschool) but I wanted some opinions and advice on how to make it look as good as possible.

I would post a picture but honestly can't figure out how..

The paint is flaked off in a lot of spots but none is much bigger than a quarter so it's a nice 20/20 truck (looks fantastic from 20 feet away and 20 mph &#128516.

Any advice and opinions is greatly appreciated! And yes, believe it or not, my date actually likes to ride in the truck with me!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
So if she likes it, what's there to do? Clean it. Clean the windows real good. Do a detail cleaning. Make sure it's running right. Make sure it stops right. You don't want it to break down or run out of gas, unless it's intentional.
Make sure there's nothing that will tear her dress or get her dirty.
Other than that have a good evening.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
So if she likes it, what's there to do? Clean it. Clean the windows real good. Do a detail cleaning. Make sure it's running right. Make sure it stops right. You don't want it to break down or run out of gas, unless it's intentional.
Make sure there's nothing that will tear her dress or get her dirty.
Other than that have a good evening.
i agree. clean is the big thing. spiff it up with a flag of your school, maybe. be safe. no booze if you're driving this thing. you're too young to be drinking anyway, but just in case.

(don't you love getting advice from old geezers?)

Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by My1964ford;1keeper 7
Hey guys I'll be taking my truck to prom soon (yes, I'm only a junior in highschool) but I wanted some opinions and advice on how to make it look as good as possible.

I would post a picture but honestly can't figure out how..

The paint is flaked off in a lot of spots but none is much bigger than a quarter so it's a nice 20/20 truck (looks fantastic from 20 feet away and 20 mph ��).

Any advice and opinions is greatly appreciated! And yes, believe it or not, my date actually likes to ride in the truck with me!
All good advice above^^

Awesome! You got a keeper if she likes riding old school!!

I used to have a 79 with a faded clear coat, I would rub the entire truck down with motor oil then rub it back off
It stays on for a few days and looks awesome but don't lean on it!!

Also purple power (white bottle) will make those tires look new

Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Agree, for the short term put your effort into making sure the truck is mechanically sound, then clean the truck up. Oh Ya, break down on the way to the prom and then see how enthusiastic your date will be about cruising in your truck.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM
ktnissen
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are all great suggestions, especially don't drink and drive. Although far out of HS, I have on occasion given my truck a theme. Being a Oregon Hillbilly, a reoccurring theme is bonfire. I have put a bale of hay in the back along with a portable fire pit, cooler full of beverages and a few tiki torches in the bed slots. Think of something that is meaningful to both of you, with a few decorative pieces of cloth your dash, seat and floorboard can make her smile.

No matter what you do make sure it is safe to still drive the truck. Do not compromise the operation of the vehicle, or the prom will be held in the hospital.

One last thing, you need to share a photo with the board.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:29 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Thanks for the comments guys!

Any ideas on how to get the dash and other interior paint looking as nice as possible?

And trust me, drinking is deffinantly not something I'll be taking part in.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
DoubleOh7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by My1964ford
I would post a picture but honestly can't figure out how...
On your little toolbar above where you reply to threads there should be a yellow square icon with a mountain and sun in it. That is the insert image tool.

Not her I hope, but seemed appropriate!

Click where you want the picture to appear (for this example it was above this line), then click this icon to bring up the picture uploader. I just select images from my computer and drop them onto that page to upload them. Then you can post a comment under each picture - then press Insert to post them. I have seen (as happened here) where the comment sometimes gets misplaced down to the bottom of the thread. I just highlight the text - press CTRL-X to cut it, and the click where I want it and CTRL-V to paste it where it belongs (Mac users - can't help you there).

If multiple images are not in the order you want them to be in you can copy and paste the text (as noted above) as you want them inserted into the thread - or change the order of them on the uploader page. Your choice.

Hope this helps - and I agree with all the other folks who posted. CLEAN it and be sure to open the door for her! If you have tunes you can arrange, get some music she'll like - even if you don't.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM
My1964ford
Senior User

Did it work this time? Sorry about all this, I'm just really bad with technology

Old 03-31-2015, 03:19 PM
DoubleOh7
Senior User
What! You're in High School! You're the hope for our future!

Yes, it worked by the way.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:59 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by DoubleOh7
What! You're in High School! You're the hope for our future!

Yes, it worked by the way.
Yes sir! Apperantly my generation just has no respect for American classics. I'll never forget the first day I drove it to school and a guy I know asks about it and says "but... you have to learn how to actually drive in that.. Wouldn't you rather just get a new car?"

I guess we're all different when it comes to the things we like

Old 03-31-2015, 05:16 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Awesome looking truck. Give it a good wash, polish the chrome, clean the windows, and Armor All the tires to a high shine.
Then remember the corsage, hold her by the arm when walking, open the door, assist in getting in, and out, and most of all Have Fun. Great memories, Young Love.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM
juang316
Senior User
Man there are people who would kill for the look the truck has the nice and weathered look. I say clean them white walls up and detail her really good not mention get some polish on that chrome. I hope that mechanical portion is not a worry if so don't risk it and make sure all your lights work Prom is at night. Im a little slicker then the rest and would put in a kill switch to conviently brake down if you know what I mean.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
"Conveniently" breaking down might be pretty easy if I don't fix the gas guage, or get a spare tire.. Any comments on how to remove grease from the paint?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Jim Beckers
Senior User
Originally Posted by My1964ford
Any comments on how to remove grease from the paint?
I would use Simple Green. It is a great degreaser and will not harm the paint. Smells good too. Awesome truck by the way....enjoy!

Quick Reply: How to spiffy up the pickup