Sponsored by: Moser

Antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Ken's74
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Antifreeze leak

I need a little help with a mystery leak. I have about 1,000 miles on a rebuilt engine. It had a small oil leak (about 2 drops every time I drive it) coming from the base of the oil filter adapter. I finally got the right angle to tighten the bolts and the oil leak seems to have gone away. Now I see some antifreeze collecting in the same spot. There is a little puddle of antifreeze on a flat surface next to the fuel pump and behind the oil filter adapter. I've attached pictures to show where I'm talking about. I also notice a stain running down the block on the front passenger side. It's a 360 rebuild (basically stock). I'm NOT a mechanic just a hobbyist. I'm trying to learn so thank you in advance for your help.

In this picture it looks oily, but it actually green in color.

You can barely see the lighted area behind the power steering pump and oil filter adapter. That is where the green puddle is sitting.

This is a shot of the flat area behind the oil filter adapter. There is a little pool of green antifreeze collected there.

Here's the fluid stain on the other side of the block.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anti-freeze leaks can be sneaky. The areas it collects may not be where its leaking. I'd look above the areas of your pictures for leaks or white "leak trails". Cylinder head joint and water neck/T stat hosing are good candidates.

Maybe drive it for a while to get it warm, hose it off carefully and watch for leak location while idling. Water from the hose will evaporate fast on a warm engine... anti freeze more slowly and it leaves a white trail.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Clean/wipe off the coolant and any mineral trails and monitor/inspect. Yes, fire up the engine and allow it to build temperature and thus, pressure.

On an FE, that area next to the fuel pump and oil filter housing would lead me to conclude that something above it is leaking coolant. You know, with gravity in effect and all. Likely the left mount of the water pump.. I recall the bolts are through-holes.

In fact, with the right side leaking that would also lead me to replace the water pump gaskets as a matter of good maintenance and upkeep. Yes, replace both gaskets - not just one.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:34 AM
Ken's74
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll do that. At this point I might as well go ahead and replace the water pump and gaskets. I've been thinking about changing the fan to clutch style anyway. Might as well do it all while I'm in there.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Wipe everything that is wet w/antifreeze dry. A long screwdriver (stick,rod,anything) with a paper towel taped to the end will get into those itsy places. Then start it up,run until warm,as previously stated, turn it off and very carefully look/FEEL for a small leak. By poking/feeling with your fingers and constantly checking your fingers for moisture you will eventually find the leak. And yes,like hio said ,the leak is assuredly up higher. You'll find it. Good luck! Gary

Old 03-31-2015, 10:32 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken's74
Thanks guys. I'll do that. At this point I might as well go ahead and replace the water pump and gaskets. I've been thinking about changing the fan to clutch style anyway. Might as well do it all while I'm in there.
Then read this for info: FE Clutch Fan Installation: Hayden 2710 & Derale 17118