6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Looking at 6.4, bad idea?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:06 AM
hotairgypsy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everyone is so negative here on the 6.4...It is litterally one year today i was faced with the the exact problem you have. In my case my 7.3 crapped out after nickel and diming me too death...i was sooooooooooo tired of turning a wrench on the 7.3 and was faced with replacing my truck which is used for towing all the time. So I found a deal on a 08 with 133k on the clock for 15900 and I kept wondering why it was this price. well it was the best deal i could find at the time and needed a truck so i bought it and did a whole lot of reading. the first month i didnt hardly drive it because i was waiting for all the parts to remove the egr and dpf crap due to the stories. Got them off and started driving the truck. I literally bought the truck April 1 last year. Well here is the one year report... I have put exactly zero dollars in it for repair. Every dollar I put in it was like tires, wheels, tint, fuel, oil filters, fuel filters, etc.

You are looking at the truck with 49k on it. If the deal is right buy it and do the deletes and drive the heck out of it. This truck pulls great. I just bought a 29 foot bumper pull trailer and pulled it 5 hours at 65mph with cruise control set in tow mode and no issues. was dancing 30-40 pounds of boost most of the time and nothing blew up. I picked up the trailer at 500 feet of altitude and pulled it too my home at 5800 feet of altitude. Truck was digging the whole way. remember most people that are problem free wont comment. so dont base it off the few which have commented.

Let me tell you one more thing...I was also worried about the repairs so during the year i have bought a spare engine, transmission, and transfer case for the 6.4l in case i needed it...well the way this truck is running i will have these parts for a while.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hotairgypsy
Let me tell you one more thing...I was also worried about the repairs so during the year i have bought a spare engine, transmission, and transfer case for the 6.4l in case i needed it...well the way this truck is running i will have these parts for a while.
If you have spare parts, you'll never need them lol just the way it usually works hahaha

Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 AM
hotairgypsy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by parkland
If you have spare parts, you'll never need them lol just the way it usually works hahaha
ever so true and i hope it stays true FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Alex5.2008
New User
I have 123ooo or so on my 08 f350 6.4 and really nothing big and bad so far. I hear on here the bad often. So here a note for the good. I really like my truck and would do again. Like everyone else I would like better fuel eff. but I have yet to hook onto anything that did not come away with me once hooked on, ha hah I love it. I even pulled a mobile home for a neighbor a couple miles. looked a little funny but it went to its new location. I would think keep it maintained well, and you;ll be good. I hope the price is right the truck looks well taken care of. do check the coolant etc. first thing. I guess. and a check up at the dealer mite not be bad. check it out well. and I hope it works out well with your choice.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
I bought my 2008 Job 1 build pickup with 122,000 miles and bone stock, single owner, F350 crew cab 4x4 king Ranch.

I now have almost 125,000 miles and the only problem was a failed alternator a month after I bought it and a leaky rear pinion seal, both of which I fixed myself.

I also did the DPF and EGR delete with in 2 months of driving mine as I got tired of the constant regen mode to clean out my DPF. I live in a state where they dont check or care for that matter. MY chip keeps power bone stock, only shut off the emissions junk.

My radiator leaks when it gets below zero temperature and I will replace it at some point, for now I just add Ford coolant and keep an eye on it.

I absolutely love it. I have a 28 foot travel trailer to pull with it and it doesnt even know its there.

Honestly, I dont think the 6.4 is anymore expensive to work on than any other modern diesel from GM or Dodge. I will admit the 6.4 is harder to work on do to engine packaging but as long as you do the work yourself and take your time it can be worked on at your house.

Jeff

Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought my 2008 KR from a used car dealer in SC, 71,000 miles on it. He bought it from a gentleman in Alabama, had plastic seat covers on and floor covers over the KR covers. OMG like brand new, been deleted since 74,000 and it just turned 102,000. I honestly don't know if I would be happy with a gasser again, my son has a 2008 V10 and quite honestly that thing is a slug compared to mine. I'm 55 and I'm no race car driver but this thing will run with the big dogs if you want it to that's for sure. I think dependability is a mute point, pretty much like any other model these days.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
There is a few things to keep in mind about a 6.4, first of all you cannot get away with stuff like what they did with 7.3 did,the old 7.3 you could get away with alot of stuff and it would be fine, but the 7.3 and older engines did not have tight tolerances like these newer engines, for example oil, if you put wrong type of oil in it will get black in a hurry and lead to premature wear, second keep filters changed and oil changed regular. Third if it rgens too much, you have low quality of fuel, i found when i fill up i use 911 products and combustion burns nice and clean and my regens are few and far. fourth,
do not mess with engine,mods on this engine will cause issues, leave it alone!
they have 350hp and 650 tq and that will move a tank.
i have had 7.3 and now i own a 6.0 in 250 and this 6.4 in dually, they are good engines and do well, the 6.4 i have i can get 16-17mpg empty if i keep below 68 and it has 430 gears, my 250 has 373 and i can get 20mpg at 70mph and below.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:40 PM
David_Pierce
New User
Do Not Buy a Ford 6.4L Diesel

At 67,594 miles my 2008 Ford F350 6.4 diesel has broke down once again. This time they said my problem is metal shavings and rust in my fuel filter for not changing my fuel filter or draining the separator enough. I do this maintenance every 5,000 miles, which is what they said to do. I have taken my truck in 3 times for this problem and they just reprogram the panel and send me on my way. I paid an additional $8,000, less than two years ago when I bought it used at Ford, for the extended warranty however the Ford dealership won't cover it under warranty. I had to have the whole fuel system replaced but they didn't replace the fuel tank. $11,000 out of my pocket because Ford's diesel trucks can not handle using diesel fuel. Now, 3 months later, less than 3,000 miles since I have had the whole system replaced, the truck breaks down again. I take it to Ford and again they say there is metal in the fuel system. In addition, I just had the oil changed, water separator drained and fuel filters changed again, 200 miles before it broke down again and only 1,200 miles after it was replaced while Ford had it. This sounds like a manufacture defect and we are being screwed. I want my money back and I want it fixed right. A truck with only 67,594 miles should not be having $11,000 worth of repairs. Ford is not Built Tuff like they claim. I can not baby this truck anymore than what I already do. Oil changes, fuel additives, high dollar spark plugs, K&N air filter....etc. My wife makes fun of me because every 3 months I dump $300 in preventive maintenance on this stupid truck. What can I do to get this problem resolved? Do I need a lawyer? Is there anyone else out there that will join my lawsuit? Email me at dpiercetx@yahoo.com.