1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What's it worth? - An interesting one...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
The 56 f350 was originally a 350 express. The express came from the factory with single rear that had rims like the front to accept hub caps as it the express was a 9 foot bed (that's why the LOOONG running boards) They didn't make a lot of them and they are rare, but rare doesn't equate to value in this case.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Old Ford Dog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
The 56 f350 was originally a 350 express. The express came from the factory with single rear that had rims like the front to accept hub caps as it the express was a 9 foot bed (that's why the LOOONG running boards) They didn't make a lot of them and they are rare, but rare doesn't equate to value in this case.
More interesting stuff. Thanks bigwin56f100.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:23 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Holy smokes that is a beautiful chassis.

Yep, that is some real nice work. You can obviously overcome any challenges this F350 would present if you take it on. (except easily finding a stock express bed)
Heck, you can probably make your own bed to the point that almost nobody would notice the difference.

Tom

Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Old Ford Dog
New User
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Yep, that is some real nice work. You can obviously overcome any challenges this F350 would present if you take it on. (except easily finding a stock express bed)
Heck, you can probably make your own bed to the point that almost nobody would notice the difference.

Tom

Thanks, pineconeford. Me taking on this one is just not in the cards. I'm just helping Bruce out. I've got about one too many (maybe more?) projects already!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Old Ford Dog
New User
bigwin56f100, so you're saying ALL F350s started life as 350 Expresses? If so, I assume Ford did the conversion to make them F350s, or was it some third party company? (Sorry to be ignorant on this one...)

Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Ford Dog
bigwin56f100, so you're saying ALL F350s started life as 350 Expresses? If so, I assume Ford did the conversion to make them F350s, or was it some third party company? (Sorry to be ignorant on this one...)
NO,they were ford built, some were chassis and cowl, some cab and chassis, some were dual rear wheel flat beds and some were express beds (9 foot step side bed)
this is what your truck started out as

Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
If this truck was an Express (the 9' pickup box) originally it would not have come with dual wheels. So, either a dual wheel rear axle was swapped in and a flatbed was added or the long running boards were added. The latter (adding long running boards) seems unlikely. An original flatbed would have come with short running boards which are the about the length of the door.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
These are all very cool discussions. It would be interesting to know how the truck transformed from it's original state to what it is. But, I don't think anyone has put up what they think a reasonable price for this truck would be.

Does anyone want to throw out a range? Yeah there are so many unknowns, but we could narrow things down a little. We know it is not near as nice as the $10K truck recently sold. Is somewhere in the $2k to $4k range about right?

Thoughts?

Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
These are all very cool discussions. It would be interesting to know how the truck transformed from it's original state to what it is. But, I don't think anyone has put up what they think a reasonable price for this truck would be. Does anyone want to throw out a range? Yeah there are so many unknowns, but we could narrow things down a little. We know it is not near as nice as the $10K truck recently sold. Is somewhere in the $2k to $4k range about right? Thoughts?
Okay I'll bite. I don't exactly have the same model or even year as you do but hopefully it will give you a start as to price range. I bought a 1953 f250 for $1200. It was a California truck all its life and there was very little rust and only a few dings. The motor was stuck, but there was a clean title that was notarized and all the paperwork was current. So based off of that, yours having a running engine, plenty of rust, and being a slightly less desirable model, I'd guess your starting price should be about $1500. That's also including the fact that location plays a big part as well.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 AM
Old Ford Dog
New User
NO,they were ford built, some were chassis and cowl, some cab and chassis, some were dual rear wheel flat beds and some were express beds (9 foot step side bed)
this is what your truck started out as
OK. Got it. Very cool to have a picture! Thanks. -Bob

Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Old Ford Dog
New User
Originally Posted by abe
If this truck was an Express (the 9' pickup box) originally it would not have come with dual wheels. So, either a dual wheel rear axle was swapped in and a flatbed was added or the long running boards were added. The latter (adding long running boards) seems unlikely. An original flatbed would have come with short running boards which are the about the length of the door.
Thanks, abe. I agree that is was unlikely that the long running boards would have been added. I can just envision that two trucks were on a farm and the one with the dump bed got wrecked or blew an engine. Two trucks could have become the one we see here. As a buddy of mine once said, "Necessity is the mother of invention, but poverty is the mother of necessity". Ya do what you gotta do.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 AM
Old Ford Dog
New User
These are all very cool discussions. It would be interesting to know how the truck transformed from it's original state to what it is. But, I don't think anyone has put up what they think a reasonable price for this truck would be.

Does anyone want to throw out a range? Yeah there are so many unknowns, but we could narrow things down a little. We know it is not near as nice as the $10K truck recently sold. Is somewhere in the $2k to $4k range about right?

Thoughts?
Harrier, When I first saw the pics of this truck I was thinking $10K, maybe even a little more, but it doesn't sound like the market is there for this larger truck. I was enamored by the lack of rust-through, fairly presentable condition and the fact that it was a running, breathing animal. Thanks for tossing a number out there!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:17 AM
Old Ford Dog
New User
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
Okay I'll bite. I don't exactly have the same model or even year as you do but hopefully it will give you a start as to price range. I bought a 1953 f250 for $1200. It was a California truck all its life and there was very little rust and only a few dings. The motor was stuck, but there was a clean title that was notarized and all the paperwork was current. So based off of that, yours having a running engine, plenty of rust, and being a slightly less desirable model, I'd guess your starting price should be about $1500. That's also including the fact that location plays a big part as well.
Thanks, Mtphammer. I don't see the amount of rust you do in the pictures, but it sounds like these trucks can still be found for really decent prices. I'd think the dump bed would be worth $1000, but I'm sure Bruce wouldn't be parting out. Thanks for putting up a number, and congrats on the California find!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
This is my stock V8 powered stake bed F-350, what the truck you pictured wanted to be when it grew up.....
This truck has been cosmetically and mechanically rebuilt and regularly sees work duty. It has a working hydraulic dump installed on a Ford script bed. I value it at between ten and twelve thousand dollars.
Dog and wife not included.

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Old Ford Dog
New User
Originally Posted by raytasch
This is my stock V8 powered stake bed F-350, what the truck you pictured wanted to be when it grew up.....
This truck has been cosmetically and mechanically rebuilt and regularly sees work duty. It has a working hydraulic dump installed on a Ford script bed. I value it at between ten and twelve thousand dollars.
Dog and wife not included.
Love that truck, Ray! I could easily have been a Ford guy, but somehow I went over to the dark side . My first 10 cars were Fords, but in the Navy I bought a California '55 Chebby for $250, and the rest is history.

FWIW, the rear wheels on your truck look a heck of a lot like the ones on the subject truck. I'm still waiting on close up pics...

Quick Reply: What's it worth? - An interesting one...