6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
So, Today is the Day that I decided to find a new place for my replacement temp sending unit for my indoor/outdoor thermometer. I confidently showed Monty where I always put it while in Dells and proceeded to jinx myself and forget it there while driving off. So, I decided to do what he did and velcro it to the pinbox area. If I forget it now, worse case scenario is it falls in the bed.

So, I was about to do this simple task when I noticed the paint on my fancy Reese 5th Airborne hitch peeling off in sheets. I got out my scraper and wire brush and was amazed at how much paint came off after only a little over a year of use. Man, Reese could have done a much better job than this. I'm now seeing this as a once a year job as once the rust is in there, it's not going away... Hecho en Mexico... Thanks Reese. Anyways, I pulled off my friction plate, scraped and brushed it, cleaned it with solvent, and shot it with black spray that promises to retard rust but in reality won't do a darn thing from preventing it from coming back in 12 months...

Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Rodney, I think the entire RV industry has crappy paint/powder coat prep and or products. How do your frame and axels look? On my two previous fifth wheels the frame paint peeled off in sheets in a short amount of time. I expect the same to happen with my new one. It drives me crazy. I keep a paint scraper and a can of Rustoleum rust converter spray paint handy so that I can try to stay ahead of it.

Do you use a lube plate on your pin box? Just curious how many people do.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elee3
Rodney, I think the entire RV industry has crappy paint/powder coat prep and or products. How do your frame and axels look? On my two previous fifth wheels the frame paint peeled off in sheets in a short amount of time. I expect the same to happen with my new one. It drives me crazy. I keep a paint scraper and a can of Rustoleum rust converter spray paint handy so that I can try to stay ahead of it.

I sanded and painted the exposed parts of my frame last fall. I'll need to do it gin this year I expect.

I use a lube plate.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:37 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by elee3

The rest of the RV frame and axles have some rust spots here and there but nothing like the pinbox. Yes, I use a lube plate. It's a hack of a lot neater than grease! I think I may send the pics to Reese and see what they say. I doubt I'll hear much more than crickets...

Old 07-25-2016, 12:00 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Wow...I am really surprised to see that much rust! Looks like you have it taken care of and it looks really good. Good idea to check that...

Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM
System
Prolocutor
I tried to find an email address for Reese but they only have a contact form on their website as opposed to an email that I could attach pics to. Ah well, I'm sure there is nothing they could do anyways. I did buy it from etrailer though and perhaps I'll email them and have them forward my pics to Reese. Worth a try...

Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I tried to find an email address for Reese but they only have a contact form on their website as opposed to an email that I could attach pics to. Ah well, I'm sure there is nothing they could do anyways. I did buy it from etrailer though and perhaps I'll email them and have them forward my pics to Reese. Worth a try...
I was going to suggest trying etrailer, but wasn't sure where you bought it. They seem give customer service more attention than other retailers.

On a side note, I was having my Home AC serviced last week and the service tech was telling me about his trip to visit the Trane factory. He said the most secretive portion of the tour was where the do the powder coating. Supposedly they have a proprietary process that will withstand 10 years of continuous salt spray.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
Nothing stops a Trane....

Old 07-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Why dont you have the nylon washer on there

Old 07-25-2016, 01:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Why dont you have the nylon washer on there
Gerry, it is off so I could paint it. That's what Lee was referring to in his post above but called it a lube plate...

Old 07-25-2016, 07:05 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the outdoor sensor for your indoor-outdoor thermometer. I learned from several others to hang it on a short string from the hitch. You've got to move it before you hitch up or it's in the way.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:08 PM
System
Prolocutor
Pete, 5 seasons in the same spot without issue. The one time I brag about always remembering is the time I forget. I got punished...LOL...

Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Rodney, funny you should mention putting it on your pin box as that is where I kept mine on the Sandpiper. I thought the same thing, if I forget it, it falls into the bed! Well, that little fall destroyed 2 of the transmitters!!!!
So, what did I do? I bought a command hook and placed it on the side of the Montana's pin box. So if I forget it again, I'll likely find the broken remains in the bed of the truck again! Never thought about velcro as I figured that it would come off in the GA heat.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM
System
Prolocutor
The replacement senders are $15 each on Amazon. I guess I should see if they offer them at a case discount...

Old 07-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
The replacement senders are $15 each on Amazon. I guess I should see if they offer them at a case discount...
Good plan.........

OR....I used a zip tie. Stays put.....even when I crash.......

Quick Reply: Today is the day........