1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 rear sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM
InmatesRunThePlace
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 rear sway bar?

A buddy of mine just bought a 15 passenger 2011 E350 and his wife hates to drive it on the highway. Way too much body movement and sway. I checked it out and it doesn't have a rear sway bar at all.

Looking around I see that Hellwig makes bars for the E350 vans. That's a huge upgrade on the Excursions, are they recommended for the E350s? Anything else we should be looking at to improvement handling of this thing? Not talking crazy mods here, just to make it a bit more highway friendly.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I myself will never again drive any van without a rear sway bar---even the puny factory piece is a big improvement over nothing.

Assuming the tires are correct for that van's GVCW, the rear springs don't need refreshed, shocks are working properly that particular configuration still tends to have a bit of fishtail action, especially during high wind blasts or sudden evasive maneuvers at freeway speeds.

Once all suspension parts are known to be working properly the rear sway bar would be a great addition. Check this company called Roadmaster Active Suspension: Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs They have a few products that might help---if nothing else the info they offer is very interesting all on its own.

FWIW I don't own or have any in-hand experience with their products but have spoken to the company reps a few times. They're very willing to discuss their products and IIRC have a no-hassle return policy if something doesn't work to your needs.

HTH

Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 AM
LittleRadio
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a 2001 Excursion and added a Hellwig swaybar -- worth every penny.

I then bought a 2012 E-350 and added a Hellwig swaybar. Again. Worth. Every. Penny.

Before the bar, truck swayed quite a bit and leaned on turns like a drunk making his way down Bourbon St.

Afterwards, I can take exits at 40 mph without tire squeal or lean.

BTW, I also had the Roadmaster system on my last Excursion. HUGE difference. Helped stop the squat with a 650 lb tongue load from my RV travel trailer, but also helped prevent rear axle wind-up which can lead to instantaneous instability of the TT.

FWIW...

Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM
InmatesRunThePlace
Junior User
Thanks guys. I think everything else is ok w/ this van. I was shocked to find that Ford didn't bother with a sway bar from the factory actually.

I'll also have him look at the roadmaster system. Not sure he'll be up for spending that kind of money, but seems like cheap insurance to me.

Chris

Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
personally , I just need a sway bar. If I start doing a lot of towing, I'll probably go with the roadmaster.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 PM
InmatesRunThePlace
Junior User
They wound up getting the RAS. Now his wife isn't afraid to drive the van anymore.

Thanks guys!

Chris

Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM
jmo1112
Mountain Pass
I realize I'm late to the game on this thread, and rear suspension upgrades (by several years, respectively), but are you still happy with the Roadmaster? Does anyone have any comparison between that active suspension kit and a Hellwig sway bar? My E350 doesn't have a sway bar at all, currently.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jmo1112
I realize I'm late to the game on this thread, and rear suspension upgrades (by several years, respectively), but are you still happy with the Roadmaster? Does anyone have any comparison between that active suspension kit and a Hellwig sway bar? My E350 doesn't have a sway bar at all, currently.
Regardless which part you choose any sort of rear anti-sway device will greatly improve your handling. Currently I own two E-Series with extended bodies and can't image Ford didn't add a rear bar as OE from the factory. Almost everyone whose installed any sort of rear sway control has been glad they did.

Since first replying to this thread one of the EB E-Series I own is an E350 originally equipped as a Club Wagon people hauler and converted to an extended roof with wheel chair lift. All that's been removed and work begun converting to a work only toolbox on wheels cargo van. Almost first change I made was installing heavy duty Hellwig front and rear bars, those intended for short wheelbase motor homes. Part numbers are: 7008 (front) & 7085 (rear). They're pretty amazing IMHO, along with the E350 suspension I've got cargo and good handling characteristics out the wazoo.

Next up are Bilstien shocks also rated for the same short wheel based motor homes---as of this date they're resting comfortably in the hall closet awaiting motivation and good weather for installation.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
JWA was there any issues going with the motorhome ones compared to the ones specifically for the vans (7604, 7183). Seems that a E-350 chassis is the same suspension wise except for single or duel wheels. The price is about 100.00 difference for the rear but it is a bigger diameter. Anyone done both that could tell a difference between the two?

Old 05-16-2018, 01:23 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Spaznaut
JWA was there any issues going with the motorhome ones compared to the ones specifically for the vans (7604, 7183). Seems that a E-350 chassis is the same suspension wise except for single or duel wheels. The price is about 100.00 difference for the rear but it is a bigger diameter. Anyone done both that could tell a difference between the two?
Primarily the motorhome bars compared to the ones specified for chassis up to E-350's is they're larger in diameter. Hellwig's own spec's list each bar's diameter. You're correct in the the E-Series up to and including the E-350 are pretty much the same apart from the diameter. They'll mount and fit the same way, only real difference is the frame attachment bushings are sized for each bar's diameter. Every other mounting part the same.

I have a set of "normal" bars on me 200y E250 extended body, the motorhome versions on a new-to-me 2005 E350 extended body.

HTH

Old 05-16-2018, 01:30 PM
jmo1112
Mountain Pass
Yeah I am definitely way behind on doing this. On the front, I've seen some people, whether it be on vans or F series trucks, have installed steering dampers. Should that be less of a priority over an upgraded front sway bar? Would you recommend both? Or do you think the sway bar is plenty?

Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jmo1112
Yeah I am definitely way behind on doing this. On the front, I've seen some people, whether it be on vans or F series trucks, have installed steering dampers. Should that be less of a priority over an upgraded front sway bar? Would you recommend both? Or do you think the sway bar is plenty?
(Those parts were almost immediately removed and sold to someone here of FTE IIRC.)

I installed a Ford steering damper system, to me there was little to no difference in the issue I was trying to correct, namely the tail wagging under severe conditions like quick lane changes----you know those type where the moron in front of you is texting and not paying no attention to driving.

The steering damper would be a lower priority since it really doesn't address the tail wagging issues. I fully believe the rear end is a H-U-G-E influence on the feeling imparted back through the steering wheel---if its wiggling around you'll be constantly counter-steering to keep a straight line. Its easy to think if the steering mechanism is damped the tail wagging will be reduced or eliminated. I suggest eliminate as much of the tail wagging's cause as you can before adding the front damper.

Also make sure your springs both front and rear aren't worn out and have greatly diminished weight-handling properties, that their attachment points, bushing and fasteners are all in good or new condition (replace with urethane if needed) and equally as important is shocks. I tend to go with the next higher rated shock as I like firm control of my ride.

HTH

Old 03-16-2023, 11:59 AM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
Almost first change I made was installing heavy duty Hellwig front and rear bars, those intended for short wheelbase motor homes. Part numbers are: 7008 (front) & 7085 (rear). They're pretty amazing IMHO, along with the E350 suspension I've got cargo and good handling characteristics out the wazoo.
Hi JWA. I tried to install #7085 on my 1996 E-350 and it simply doesn't fit. There's no holes for the front brackets, and I just can't understand how it is supposed to mount. The directions show mount points and holes that just don't exist on my van. Would you happen to have any pictures of how it's mounted in your E-350? Sorry, I know this is an old thread.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by WarrensE350
Hi JWA. I tried to install #7085 on my 1996 E-350 and it simply doesn't fit. There's no holes for the front brackets, and I just can't understand how it is supposed to mount. The directions show mount points and holes that just don't exist on my van. Would you happen to have any pictures of how it's mounted in your E-350? Sorry, I know this is an old thread.
Sadly I don't have any photos of the front-most brackets as installed in the frame. IIRC those holes you need sometimes need to be drilled by the installer. I'd call Hellwig to confirm.

Are there any other fitment issues you've discovered?

Old 03-17-2023, 08:45 AM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
Sadly I don't have any photos of the front-most brackets as installed in the frame. IIRC those holes you need sometimes need to be drilled by the installer. I'd call Hellwig to confirm.

Are there any other fitment issues you've discovered?
Thanks. No other issues; it would be pretty easy if the brackets had a place to mount. So you didn't have to drill or have any other issues with the install?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Quick Reply: E350 rear sway bar?