Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Scanner review: Car Guage Pro and adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Scanner review: Car Guage Pro and adapter

A couple weeks back I bought an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and an app for my Android phone. I did a bit of research, and settled on this adapter:
ELM327 Bluetooth Adapter Scanner Torque Android OBD2 OBDII Code Reader Scan Tool | eBay for $19
Along with the Car Gauge Pro app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GaugePro&hl=en for $7.
From my research, not all of the bluetooth adapters are equal. The Elm chipset is the basis for the design, with the vast majority on evilbay being clones. Some aren't as good as others, so if they're really cheap and shipped from China it may not work right. A genuine ELM327 is $40-$60.
The app is great, however it is not overly user friendly. There are a number of apps, but this one has about the best functionality of any of them, you just need to spend some time and get familiar with the program.
I use mine daily at work, it is fast and easy with a few minor glitches. The update rate is incredible, it blows away the Snap-On Solus scanner the shop has, and data (especially mode 6 data) is displayed in a much better format. I/M readiness indicators are much better, and going back and forth between codes, readiness and live data is quick. There are a few glitches, on one Ford car I could only get a snapshot of the failures in Mode 6 while it was happening, so it took a bit of time to get a misfire found. My absolute favorite and most used part though is the graphing. I can sit there with my phone under the hood and watch the O2s response while moving vacuum lines, see how much air is actually being registered by the MAF, etc.
Since getting this setup, I have only gone to the Solus once, and only because it has a better setup for GM misfire counts.
This is probably the best $30 I have spent on a tool this year.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Might have to try that adapter -- I picked up the app recently, but my adapter might be causing trouble. It seems to cause a mopar U110C code -- no fuel level reporting ( which, surprisingly, does affect obd2). Had been fine for almost a year.

Do you know a good (free) source for mopar Mode 6 codes? I have the factory manuals, and they don't seem to be in there. (Not needed I suppose, the OEM scanner does that for you).

Thanks,

hj

Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't offhand, I usually look up the specific test failed on the fly (IE xx year dodge whatever mode 6 test x) with decent results.
Just had another good diag with this scanner today. 2004 Lincoln Navigator, lack of power and misfire with no codes. Mode 6 data is really limited on Fords, but I went in through the Ford specific program live data (it's about ten pages for this one), and eventually it said #2 injector fault. No codes because it was under 1/4 tank, no lean fuel related codes are set with the fuel that low.