1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

manual tranny fit in E-250

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM
BigDan1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
this Van being a long term project , I forecast also to convert it to 4x4 ......
This tranny never came with a T/case .....

but the clutch pedal setup should work with any tranny combo ??? (hope )

Dan

Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan1
this Van being a long term project , I forecast also to convert it to 4x4 ......
This tranny never came with a T/case .....

but the clutch pedal setup should work with any tranny combo ??? (hope )

Dan
Which transmission? The NV4500 came in dodge trucks with 4x4 option didn't they? If you want to run a 2wd transmission with a transfercase then run a mid 70's Ford divorced NP205. You'll have to fabricate a shifter mount for it though.

If you have a separate bellhousing with a clutch fork you can adapt the clutch pedal assembly and linkage or hydraulic system to work with just about any transmission.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:11 PM
BigDan1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
divorced T/case ....no more , too much problems involved

yes all ford. dodge or chevy 4x4 have what I may need ....

If I keep it with the 351 W ill probably go for Ford mecanic much simpler to convert

Old 04-22-2015, 12:19 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fordman, in your first pix, how does the doghouse come off? Do you unscrew the boot around the shifter and deal with that first?

What do you think of the Mazda trans? If that's the most available overdrive manual trans that can bolt on (with all the appropriate bits from a donor-van), maybe it's also the cheapest option for somebody converting from an automatic (yes? no?). Of course, we'd always prefer the "best" option, but sometimes that's not worth looking all over the countryside and paying a lot of money, and spending lots of extra hours adapting it. If you guys are like me, you have dozens of such projects in need of your attention.

(The van I have in mind for an automatic to manual conversion is an '87 E150 similar to the "plumber's van" pictured, with a 300/six).

Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
My Ford van is certainly a worthy project on which I could spend many hours in an attempt to make the perfect example of its kind. But if you want to know why I say there are always other projects screaming for one's time and dollars, take a look at some (finished) examples of the project car I towed home about six hours ago by Googling "1941 Lincoln Continental Coupe" . . . .

Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you're going to go through all the trouble, then use a ZF 5 speed out of a 90's F250 with the 351W. The ZF came in both 2WD and 4WD versions. And if you're mechanically inclined enough either can be converted to the other version.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:48 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by seattle smitty
Fordman, in your first pix, how does the doghouse come off? Do you unscrew the boot around the shifter and deal with that first?

What do you think of the Mazda trans? If that's the most available overdrive manual trans that can bolt on (with all the appropriate bits from a donor-van), maybe it's also the cheapest option for somebody converting from an automatic (yes? no?). Of course, we'd always prefer the "best" option, but sometimes that's not worth looking all over the countryside and paying a lot of money, and spending lots of extra hours adapting it. If you guys are like me, you have dozens of such projects in need of your attention.

(The van I have in mind for an automatic to manual conversion is an '87 E150 similar to the "plumber's van" pictured, with a 300/six).

Yep you pull the boot up, remove bolt/stud, pull the shifter off and then remove the dog house like a regular one.

Here's a picture with the dog house removed.

The mazda transmission is probably fine for an E100/150 driver. If any towing or heavier hauling is planned then something stronger would be a better choice. I prefer the old dinosaur of a transmission ( np435 4spd ) over even the ZF 5spd. They are dirt cheap ( $50.00-$150 ) because everyone wants an OD. I don't like the mazda's or ZF's slave cylinder set up. I prefer the external slave cylinder with a clutch fork ( like the NP435's ) . It's easier to repair when there is an issue. When there is an issue on the mazda or ZF slave you are stuck pulling the transmission.

Right now I'm down to only 3 projects and my daily driver. None of mine are as cool as a 41 Lincoln. I've got my 91 F-Super Duty 7.3L IDI/5spd, My 89 E350 Extended Clubwagon and my 54 F100 extended cab 4x4 project. The problem with multiple projects is it seems like nothing gets done with any of them.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
If the ZF slave is half as reliable as the McCleod hydro throwout bearing inside the bell on my Toploader 4 speed, which is now been in service in two vehicles for the past 15 years you shouldn't have any problems with it. The slave in my 99 F250's 6 speed ZF is still the original that came with the truck. Never had any problems with it either.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:10 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by baddad457
If the ZF slave is half as reliable as the McCleod hydro throwout bearing inside the bell on my Toploader 4 speed, which is now been in service in two vehicles for the past 15 years you shouldn't have any problems with it. The slave in my 99 F250's 6 speed ZF is still the original that came with the truck. Never had any problems with it either.
Well the ZF 5spd's are a hell of lot older then your 99's 6spd. Hopefully you don't have an issue with yours. And their stock slave cylinders are a far cry from a performance aftermarket piece.

I have had experience with the stock part failing. And I've also got the pleasure of replacing multiple part store replacements. Trying to save a few dollars bit me in the rear.

And pulling the ZF transmission out to replace them gets old real fast. Compared to the NP435 which you pop a clip off and the slave cylinder pulls right off.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
The 6 speed isn't that much older than the 5 speed. And as for the reliability of the McCleod, it too had it's teething problems when it was new. The banjo fittings leaked, I had to replace them with AN fittings. And I once over extended it and had to have it rebuilt. So actually the slave in the ZF has given better service so far in my case. You take chances with everything now a days. Who's to say the transmissions you're recommending won't give problems ? Especially considering the newest one is several decades old now.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by baddad457
Who's to say the transmissions you're recommending won't give problems ? Especially considering the newest one is several decades old now.

All things mechanical can break down. Which is why I like to set up my rigs to be as easy to work on as possible. Also one of the reasons I'm going to be swapping in a 300 inline 6 in place of a perfectly running 351W in my 89 E350.

I'm just giving my opinion here. It's just another option. The NP435's aren't perfect. Some people don't like the spacing between gear ratio's. And first gear isn't synchronized. And it's a truck transmission so it can be a little finicky to shift if there's some wear on the synchro's. But it's also pretty simple to rebuild and you can buy 2-5 of them for the price of one ZF 5spd. And they are nearly bullet proof.

The ZF has issues of it's own. Personally I've had a ZF that was hard to shift, One that kept popping out of gear another that broke the tailshaft housing. The ZF is much more expensive, harder to rebuild, has the one piece bellhousing/case and of coarse my least favorite slave design. That being said it is one of the best choices if you want a Ford truck 5spd.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Ferdus
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone post some pics up of the entire van manual pedal assembly? I might take a shot at fabricating my own assembly. Just want to get some detailed overall pictures of the factory setup so I can see what I'm in for....

Thanks

Old 09-01-2015, 12:12 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgot about this thread, good thing I subscribed.
recently bought a manual shift E150, and bought it only for the manual pedals.
1976 E150 standard steering and brakes 300 6cyl 3spd on the column. 62,000miles 2 owners from new> father to son.

I can get some pics for you this weekend but can't get to it right now. this is a purely mechanical system with no hydraulics.

it is still in the van.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:12 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Me too, Ferdus, and I asked Fordman75 about this in a PM. I think he won't mind if I paste that here (it might save him having to tell you what he told me):

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset currentColor; border-image: none;"> Originally Posted by seattle smitty
Ted, have you ever determined whether manual transmission pedal sets from any of the Ford pickups can be used in a Gen 3 van? I have the 4-speed manual, and a shifter that I imagine I can adapt . . . I have the '88 E150 working (so far) with the fuel injection and the C-6, but don't trust it any farther than I can throw it. I suppose I trust the C-6, but have decided that I sure would prefer a stick shift, and the better mpg, all of which I know YOU understand.

</td></tr></tbody></table>I don't believe any of the truck stuff would be a direct bolt in deal. It would take some fabrication/modification work.

First you have to decide if you want to use a hydraulic slave set up like the stock 88 would have. Or the older mechanical linkage.

This is just a guess because I haven't compared them side by side. But if I was going to try it I would rule out anything newer then 1979 ( for truck pedals ) . Here's my idea take the clutch & brake pedal assembly from lets say a 78 or 79 Ford truck. Then compare the hanger bracket with your stock van auto brake pedal assembly. The 73-79 Ford trucks have a similar dash to the vans. If the brackets are different which I'm almost positive they are. Then pull the pedals out of both and try to transfer the truck pedals into the van hanger. This may require some modifications and transferring a bracket or two from the truck hanger.

Thank Fordman Ted for this; the man has forgotten more about these van parts-swaps than I'll ever know, and is extremely generous in sharing what he knows.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Dang, Ranger, I wish I had your "parts-van-just-for-the-pedals" as my driver! Old, therefore Simple!!!

Quick Reply: manual tranny fit in E-250