6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

BAD Waste gate solenoid/2011 F350 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAD Waste gate solenoid/2011 F350 PSD

Hello Crew,

I experienced another problem in my 2011 F350 PSD the other day. As I was coming up a medium sized hill (Empty truck), I lost all but about 5 psi of boost pressure in the turbo. No check engine light (CEL) ever came on. I limped the truck home, shut the truck off, and called the dealership. The truck sat for about 20 minutes. When I restarted the vehicle, my boost pressure was restored. I drove it immediately to the dealership. The mechanic diagnose that the “Solenoid assembly – Vacuum controlled – Part number BC3Z 9E882-A” was faulty. This device controls the waste gate, and was stuck open allowing all my boost to dump out the waste gate.

I was going to add this problem to my thread shown below, to have all the issues in one location. But decided to make a separate thread, so people could search for it easier.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1340001-2011-f350-issues-turbo-smells-shutter-death-wobble-transmission-with-video.html

I know what you are thinking…why hold on to this truck after it has been in the dealership for 46 days in the past 4 years? Mainly, I love the truck and the Ford dealership (Ed Kenley, Layton, Utah) that services it. My dealership has never once complained about seeing the truck back month-after-month. And they diagnose the truck without ever seeing a CEL code. Honestly, I feel like “WE” will one day get to the bottom of all the issues. And why should I pass this truck onto something else to deal with, it doesn’t seem fair in my mind.

Yes, all my repairs have been covered under warranty. My dealership has ALWAYS provided me a rental car as well. The only thing that it costs me is some time off work, and usually 5 dozen Dunkin Doughnuts for the dealership. So yes, my truck does run off “Dunkin Power”!

Last edited by Big-Sarge; 03-29-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Wanted to add spaces
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess some folks are more tolerant than others. I had a customer with a 2011 that was BRAND NEW, 1400 miles on the odometer that he traded in on another truck. The truck had a problem with the transmission valve body that I quickly corrected with a new assembly. Made no sense to me but to each his own I suppose. It does sound like your dealership is staffed by quality people who do an excellent job with their customers and their vehicles.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
Hello Crew,

I experienced another problem in my 2011 F350 PSD the other day. As I was coming up a medium sized hill (Empty truck), I lost all but about 5 psi of boost pressure in the turbo. No check engine light (CEL) ever came on. I limped the truck home, shut the truck off, and called the dealership. The truck sat for about 20 minutes. When I restarted the vehicle, my boost pressure was restored. I drove it immediately to the dealership. The mechanic diagnose that the “Solenoid assembly – Vacuum controlled – Part number BC3Z 9E882-A” was faulty. This device controls the waste gate, and was stuck open allowing all my boost to dump out the waste gate.

I was going to add this problem to my thread shown below, to have all the issues in one location. But decided to make a separate thread, so people could search for it easier.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1340001-2011-f350-issues-turbo-smells-shutter-death-wobble-transmission-with-video.html

I know what you are thinking…why hold on to this truck after it has been in the dealership for 46 days in the past 4 years? Mainly, I love the truck and the Ford dealership (Ed Kenley, Layton, Utah) that services it. My dealership has never once complained about seeing the truck back month-after-month. And they diagnose the truck without ever seeing a CEL code. Honestly, I feel like “WE” will one day get to the bottom of all the issues. And why should I pass this truck onto something else to deal with, it doesn’t seem fair in my mind.

Yes, all my repairs have been covered under warranty. My dealership has ALWAYS provided me a rental car as well. The only thing that it costs me is some time off work, and usually 5 dozen Dunkin Doughnuts for the dealership. So yes, my truck does run off “Dunkin Power”!
Donuts always help, Big-Sarge! Seriously though, I'm glad you have a dealership that treats you like gold. If you ever need help from my neck of the woods, don't hesitate to send a PM my way.

Crystal