1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My dummy question of the day

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No real "Dummy Question" today..I just haven't been on lately been working 68-76hrs a WEEK at my job, then trying to catch up at home/farm as well..so I just haven't had time to keep up with everyone...So Hey Guys hope everyone is doing well!

As for my truck...just fixed my AC Sunday...I had a faulty Low side Pressure switch..(for the record Oreillys has it listed as a AC Clutch Switch or some such nonsense...) Cheap, quick fix and now I have some SUPER cold air...

Also knocked out the uber simple oil change, just cause it was time..got my oil sample ready to send off to Blackstone Labs..kinda excited/worried to see the results...

Oh yea..and I won a giveaway on FB from Riffraff Diesel..my son now has his very own Riffraff Diesel shirt! Now when we ride in the truck he wants to wear that and his Ford hat so he can be like Daddy!

Thats a wrap from me..

(NOTE) Just threw all this in on my little thread here to keep from starting a whole new thread...)

Old 08-26-2015, 03:21 AM
tasilium
Senior User
This thread should be called.."Toby's Truck/Dumb Questions/Just keeping it in one thread/Thread"

At any rate...thought I would try to avoid additional threads and start here..

I think it may be time to do injector cups and while in there thought I would do new Orings for the injectors and maybe new glowplugs...so here comes my questions..

I have looked at several install tools for the injector cups and full on believe Riffraff has without a doubt the best one, thoughts anyone? Also anyone have one the don't need anymore and wanna sell? (not trying to get out of buying one from Clay..just budget minded..Clay if you read this ...your awesome ) I would rent one but anytime I plan a truck repair it never happens on the schedule I intend and things get pushed back...so trying to avoid renting one and then finding out I should have just bought one... Ok tool question addressed..Next...

Is there anything else I need to do or should do while I am in that area? Anyone ever do more to the injectors besides basic cleaning and new Orings?...Next...

Glowplugs..Never done them (or any of this for that matter) should I knock this out now? Truck has 276k miles and who knows if they have ever been replaced...

I am not 100% sure I need injector cups, truck is running like a top..but I am either crazy or paranoid (either or both is likely) but I swear my coolant has an odor similiar to diesel fuel..I don't see any fuel in the coolant but....

Bonus question :: Should I replace the valve cover gasket while I am in there as well?

I am going out on a limb (a short and small one as usual) and assuming even with purchasing the install tool, I can do this WAY cheaper than paying someone to do it....My mechanical skills aren't as expansive as most of yalls but each wrench turn I make increases that skill set..

Thoughts...curses..blessings..feel free to chime in...

Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Last time I rented from Riffraff Diesel they gave me 30 days I think. I would just rent, a month should be enough

Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Toby,

I needed to do glow plugs, and my transmission is out for rebuild…maybe a good time to do a compression check if you are replacing glow plugs… WhileI am in there I am doing injectors…still trying to decide which way to go… theyappear to be original

I am also doing the uvch no sense in having to take it apartagain to fix something I should have replaced when I had it apart in the firsttime. (especially where mine are stampedmade in china)

See my thread here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pic-heavy.html

I can’t comment on fuel smell in the coolant…

As my project has progressed I buy the tools for the nexttime I have to do the project. (note mybrother has a newer version of the 7.3 so I pass them off to him when he needsthem as we live 2400 miles apart.)

Old 08-26-2015, 04:13 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by lee00
Toby,

I needed to do glow plugs, and my transmission is out for rebuild…maybe a good time to do a compression check if you are replacing glow plugs… WhileI am in there I am doing injectors…still trying to decide which way to go… theyappear to be original

I am also doing the uvch no sense in having to take it apartagain to fix something I should have replaced when I had it apart in the firsttime. (especially where mine are stampedmade in china)
By
See my thread here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pic-heavy.html

I can’t comment on fuel smell in the coolant…

As my project has progressed I buy the tools for the nexttime I have to do the project. (note mybrother has a newer version of the 7.3 so I pass them off to him when he needsthem as we live 2400 miles apart.)
I have a few friends that have the 7.3 but most of them use a mechanic to get their work done....Personally I enjoy working on my truck, and feel like I will do the extra things things a mechanic might not do, or take the time to.

I am probably gonna buy the riffraff tool, might rent it...Will check your link on my lunch break.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:11 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ Have your friends hire you to do their injector cups, and the tool will pay for itself....

Old 08-26-2015, 06:16 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Have your friends hire you to do their injector cups, and the tool will pay for itself....
Now that's an idea!...Now if I just had friends that would pay up

Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Well before tearing into the injector cup job I swung by a local trusted diesel shop to get their opinion. Turns out I didn't have any fuel in the coolant system, seems I may have been jumping the gun by reading to many threads, lol. This place can be kinda like WebMD....get ya thinking to much.

However I did have a problem today, was accelerating and the RPMs jumped up considerably, could hear the engine respond, but the truck itself wasn't accelerating, let off the pedal, reapplied pedal, same thing, did this twice before actually getting any response.

A few months ago I had a new transmission and torque converter installed. My initial guess is the torque converter.

In a likely unrelated coincidence my battery light also came on, which is a new wrinkle.

Thoughts?

Old 09-02-2015, 01:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
For the batt light, check the single wire on the alternator.

Any flashing od light? I'd sure hope its not a brand new converter. I'd take it to the shop that did the work and talk with them.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
For the batt light, check the single wire on the alternator.

Any flashing od light? I'd sure hope its not a brand new converter. I'd take it to the shop that did the work and talk with them.
It's odd because now the truck is running great...this happened once before right after new trans and torque converter were installed. The shop that put it in doesn't seem to concerned, especially since it "drove fine" when they looked at it. They don't seem to wanna actually do anything to look into it. Gonna check my warranty that came from manufacturer to see if I can get it checked out at another shop.

For the battery light I checked the pigtail to the voltage regulator, it isn't the best of connections...Gonna have to fix that.