1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My dummy question of the day

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I am not sure if its the Transmission or not...just immediately thought of that. (since it was a hunk of money and my luck usually isn't very good)

I have a CPS in the glove box (was my first Riff Raff order, lol)..gonna put it in today when I put the 6637 on.

I checked my HPOP oil level last week and it was good, but I do think I have a leak...a small one..possibly from the top seal where the reservoir sits...I think...not a 100% sure on that yet.

And yea I don't have any real mods yet...working on that...

Well give some things a try and get back with yall...

Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Well today I changed out the cps and did the 6637 mod, truck does idle better, and seems to run smoother altogether. I tried to recreate the condition under which the jerking occurs, but was unable to make it happen again, I hesitate to call it fixed, because after it happened it ran fine the rest of the way home. I am crossing my fingers in hopes that it is fixed, but if anyone else has any suggestions or comments please share

As for the 6637...wow..wasn't expecting it to be that much better, turbo sings now...can't wait to get my turbo back exhaust ...straight pipe..no restrictions...bet she will run even better

And because I like pics here we go

Old box out of the way

Air sensor

Finished

Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 AM
tasilium
Senior User
I know this is off topic from my original thread..but since I always have dummy questions, feels appropriate to continue them in this thread...if this annoys everyone I suppose I could post up a new thread for my questions..this just seems easier...

Got a leak at the hpop reservior..I think...anyone know the part # for the gasket between the hpop and the reservior...also if I replace this gasket what other gaskets and or Orings should I replace at the same time...I wanna seal everything up nice while I do the other things on my to do list...eventually I intend to replace the hpop and maybe get one of those nice reserviors Clay has for sell at Riff Raff...

Below are some pics of the leak..and if you look closely you can see the gasket I wanna replace..peeking out.....(yea..I know it shouldn't look like that.. )

Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
The gasket is an o-ring type seal.takes 5 mi to change.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:15 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
after you drain the oil.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman67
The gasket is an o-ring type seal.takes 5 mi to change.
Anything else I should do while I am there?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
If it was me I would change out the hpop, why suck the oil out and take the res off twice?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:57 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^ Eeek, that seems like a rather expensive "while you're in there" option. That's a bit like saying while you've got the valve covers off, you may as well replace the cylinder heads. Now if the OP were considering a 17-er or other upgrade, yeah, this would be the time. But swap it for its own sake?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:28 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If it was me I would change out the hpop, why suck the oil out and take the res off twice?
Well I would love to get a new Hpop, but I have a few more upgrades ahead of that. If my current Hpop is functioning fine it's gonna have to wait, right now I am just wanting to seal it back up. Was wondering if there where other orings or other things I should change while the reservoir is off. hoping to avoid any surprises, so I mainly need the parts to do the job, and not be wishing I had this or that when I am in there.

If it weren't for wanting my turbo back exhaust, tires and my truetrac, also putting on a new alternator and replacing all the battery cables, ordinal owner wasn't very kind to the cables..... I would go ahead and replace the Hpop..

Hope to do the Hpop reseal, and alternator the same day...still got get some new cables for the battery or atleast replace the post connectors

Old 05-05-2015, 11:31 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ Eeek, that seems like a rather expensive "while you're in there" option. That's a bit like saying while you've got the valve covers off, you may as well replace the cylinder heads. Now if the OP were considering a 17-er or other upgrade, yeah, this would be the time. But swap it for its own sake?

Agreed.....I do want a 17..but I am very much stock at the moment, so I feel like sealing everything up is more cost effective.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Like Glenn said.getting it empty is key.most likely a sucking device of some sort.I had a lot of stuff when I did mine.hpop being off was one.also wipe the resivour clean.mime had quire a bit of heavy nastiness that had fallen to the bottom.otherwise its pretty straight forward deal

Old 05-05-2015, 12:46 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Like Glenn said.getting it empty is key.most likely a sucking device of some sort.I had a lot of stuff when I did mine.hpop being off was one.also wipe the resivour clean.mime had quire a bit of heavy nastiness that had fallen to the bottom.otherwise its pretty straight forward deal
ok..so I need to get a suction device...was gonna get one anyway..

? does it prime itself like the fuel bowl does, or should I try refilling it through the check hole? (yea I screw names up...and like the thread says "my dummy question"...)

Was gonna order a new CPS from Riff Raff, since I used my spare, suppose I will get the Oring ordered from there and anything else I need while I am at..

for all those that help..I owe you guys a beer or your beverage of choice someday

Old 05-05-2015, 12:46 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tasilium
Agreed.....I do want a 17..but I am very much stock at the moment, so I feel like sealing everything up is more cost effective.
It'll be a good practice run for when you do the 17-er.....

Old 05-05-2015, 04:45 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Fill beforehand.your starter will thank you.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Fill beforehand.your starter will thank you.
That's why I post my questions..thanks..you guys rock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My dummy question of the day