2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Would you consider a 4-cylinder F150?
Yes, with 310hp and 320lb-ft of torque, why not?
46.15%
No, even with big power, a 4-cylinder cant handle the truck work cycle.
53.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Would you consider a powerful 4-cylinder F150?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I'm all for it as long as it's not the 2.3L. A four banger in my humble opinion needs to be a truck engine from the drawing board.

Look at how stout the 3.5L is built and how detuned it is when it's applied to a Taurus, etc.

Myself included couldn't care about cylinder count, sound or anything. Truck buying decisions should be made without taking any male testosterone enhancements prior to arriving at the dealer.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
It wasn't long ago that I was one of the "no replacement for displacement" guys, and I would have never considered a V6 truck.
I'm still one of those guys.

When I was in the market back in 2011 for a new F-150, I test drove all of the new engines at that time...3.7L, 5.0L Eco, and 6.2L.

Trust me, if at that time Ford had offered the 6.2L in the configuration I wanted ''Supercab FX4'' then I would be driving a 6.2L powered F-150 right now. But alas, the 5.0L was more than enough for my daily driver needs.

It's not that I think ill of V6 powered trucks...But I just flat out love V8 engines, and the bigger they are the more I love em. The same way many people love Twin Turbo's.

So no matter how diverse Ford make's the F-150's engine lineup in the future, I do hope they will always keep a V8 of some shape and size in them just to apease people like me. And when the time come's that I'm in the market for a new truck, if the F-150's no longer have V8's in them I'll likely be looking a new Superduty as a replacement.

But I plan to hang on to my 2011 for many many years to come.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 AM
ldgamblin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the F150 being used more as a grocery getter than a work vehicle these days,why not? I don't have numbers to back me up but I'd be willing to bet big majority of F150s are daily drivers and a small percentage are actually work trucks. If that's the case, a smaller displacement makes sense. Why go for overkill just for the occasional towing that you'd be doing? If you're using it for light duty work then get the 6 cylinder. As long as I have over a hundred miles of commuting a day a pickup won't be my daily driver. I'll just keep on buying one Focus after another and wearing them out.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:24 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
I'm waiting for the 7.0L Ecoboost V-12.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I'm waiting for the 7.0L Ecoboost V-12.
That's insane, but I like it.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I love big V8's as well, which is why Dad's truck will have a 400 - albeit with a few goodies in it that Ford didn't supply. With the 500+ ft-lbs that Tim Meyer assures me it'll have, plus the 3.50 gears and ZF5 tranny, it'll both cruise and tow. But it won't have the comfort, safety, nor MPG the new ones have. So, I guess I'll have two trucks.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I drove my wife's Expy to work today. 4.6L with 3.73 axle. What a fricken noisy under powered gas guzzling dog. But, it's been a trooper and I love it because after 11 years it's still solid and runs like a Swiss time piece.

I'll take the puny little twin turbo V-6 everyday and twice on Sunday. Refined, quiet, confident extreme power. You all enjoy your testosterone infusion. I have tons of power and great MPG's to boot. What can be bad about that?

Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm all for it as long as it's not the 2.3L. A four banger in my humble opinion needs to be a truck engine from the drawing board.

Look at how stout the 3.5L is built and how detuned it is when it's applied to a Taurus, etc.

Myself included couldn't care about cylinder count, sound or anything. Truck buying decisions should be made without taking any male testosterone enhancements prior to arriving at the dealer.

Agreed. And, each buyer has their own needs. More and more people are using them as passenger cars with the option to throw stuff in the bed on occasion. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people rarely or never tow and/or never or rarely haul anything either. Sounds like a question of the week possibility???

Last edited by RRRSkinner; 04-04-2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2015, 06:26 PM
MNRanch
New User
Well a nice 4 cylinder to charge / extend the battery pac and drive train from the Telsa P85D would be of interest to me. 620 HP and 864 pounds of torque at the wheels...

Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 PM
tomboy67
New User
4cyl turbo

Sure would, uh huh! It would surely bring back the fondest memories of my Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that would literally fly [landing hurt it tho ]. If you want a "workhorse" buy one. For those of us that just want a truck to ride in - it would be perfect!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
Agreed. And, each buyer has their own needs. More and more people are using them as passenger cars with the option to throw stuff in the bed on occasion. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people rarely or never tow and/or never or rarely haul anything either. Sounds like a question of the week possibility???
I'm not understanding why this is so important to so many people. Ford builds a couple work horse trucks in the F-150 segment for those who wish to purchase them. I couldn't give a rats behind if a soccer mom drives a 6.2L Platinum F-150 with the max tow package. That's her business.

My truck is a 4x4, it ain't going off road. I have the ecoboost, I ain't towing anything on a regular basis and I don't have to justify my purchase.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
I'm not understanding why this is so important to so many people. Ford builds a couple work horse trucks in the F-150 segment for those who wish to purchase them. I couldn't give a rats behind if a soccer mom drives a 6.2L Platinum F-150 with the max tow package. That's her business.

My truck is a 4x4, it ain't going off road. I have the ecoboost, I ain't towing anything on a regular basis and I don't have to justify my purchase.

I agree 100%. Here is the thing that annoys me and I hope it resonates with some. Most people know the EB is not saving any gas and most people know that EB's power is not free. Most people are fine with Ford promoting their EB with a campaign that is working and so am I. I am not fine with the trolls that won't listen to any other opinion that "all hale ecoboost" and the way they go on falsely about saving gas and towing 3 trillion pounds while it never kicks out of 6th gear. Most people driving EB with 4 x 4 and all that don't use it. That's all I've been saying to get banned.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
I agree 100%. Here is the thing that annoys me and I hope it resonates with some. Most people know the EB is not saving any gas and most people know that EB's power is not free. Most people are fine with Ford promoting their EB with a campaign that is working and so am I. I am not fine with the trolls that won't listen to any other opinion that "all hale ecoboost" and the way they go on falsely about saving gas and towing 3 trillion pounds while it never kicks out of 6th gear. Most people driving EB with 4 x 4 and all that don't use it. That's all I've been saying to get banned.
Here's the thing, the ecoboost replaced the old 5.4L engine. The 5.0L came out at the same time (in the F-150) as the EB. The EB easily gets 20% better MPG's than the old 5.4L engine, which it replaced.

Too many people who are new to the boards spend too much time comparing the EB to the 5.0L which is a completely different animal than the old 5.4L. The EB is not a replacement to the 5.0L but rather a sibling, an other choice, etc.

Up until the 2015 MY the 5.0L COULD NOT be had in max tow form as it wasn't rated by Ford to do the job. Why? Perhaps because the 6.2L and the EB were enough to quench all thirsts. IDK.

Ford really should go back and re-do their commercials now that the 5.4L is but a memory to a new truck buyer.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 AM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Absolutely. If it gets me better gas mileage and has enough power to do what I need, I don't care about the number of cylinders.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:43 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Here's the thing, the ecoboost replaced the old 5.4L engine. The 5.0L came out at the same time (in the F-150) as the EB. The EB easily gets 20% better MPG's than the old 5.4L engine, which it replaced.

Too many people who are new to the boards spend too much time comparing the EB to the 5.0L which is a completely different animal than the old 5.4L. The EB is not a replacement to the 5.0L but rather a sibling, an other choice, etc.

Up until the 2015 MY the 5.0L COULD NOT be had in max tow form as it wasn't rated by Ford to do the job. Why? Perhaps because the 6.2L and the EB were enough to quench all thirsts. IDK.

Ford really should go back and re-do their commercials now that the 5.4L is but a memory to a new truck buyer.

This is a very interesting opinion. However, didn't you really just make the whole thing up? Since the EB and 5.0 came out at the same time, how did you decide what replaced what...if anything. I see most of what you are saying here as made up.

Last edited by RRRSkinner; 04-05-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Would you consider a powerful 4-cylinder F150?