Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Moderators!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
See, there go the neighborhoods! 6.0 and 7.3 scan tool enthusiasts educating each other by talking to each other...

Could this cross-fertilization happen even more effectively in a top level forum dedicated to scan tools?

The cream will always rise to the top, if there is a top to rise to.

(Or must our respective computer EE whiz kids be locked up in their respective tribal divisions/subforums?)

I think it's a good idea, I just don't know how to implement it right.
Something should be done though, these diagnostic tools are getting cheaper and cheaper, and more and more popular.
Gone are the days of tuning up or fixing a vehicle without electronic tools.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
parkland: Well, first for starters we see that you have not raised a single 6.0 engine issue and Tugly has not raised a single 7.3 engine issue. So that's a good first implementing rule.

Second, you are both on topic, you are discussing alternative hardware platforms for running the AutoEnginuity scan tool real time in a carputer environment including alternative operating systems and boot methods. Scan tool alternatives and the best new and emerging hardware to run them on would seem to fit squarely within the scope of a dedicated scan tool forum.

Now we just need a place for you and other guys and gals to get together to further this cross-fertalization...

Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I agree, no doubt.
I just think there should be a rather broad coverage for it's own section in the forum.

"Advanced electrical and computer diagnostics"

In here, it could be a place to talk about any electrical modifications, computer diagnostic systems of all kinds, scanners tuners, etc.
This would be nothing too specific about the vehicle, more about the equipment, such as making special cables, pigtail adapters, etc.
Also projects like self tuning, and custom software could be in here.
Things that only a few are interested in.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

There is a > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring subform here which I subscribe to, but scan tools do not appear to be discussed there with any frequency:

Electrical Systems/Wiring - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I suppose if there is no support from the moderators or administration here, we could post in that forum and set our own rules and then bump threads in each of our respective engine forums directing members to that forum for scan tools and "Advanced electrical and computer diagnostics" threads.

My NGS post over there has drawn one member, Franklin2 who has recently purchased a Snap-on scan tool for a non-Ford vehicle. Other than Franklin2, its been cricket chirps:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...scan-tool.html

So buried in Misc. seems like an ignominious location for a subject matter which constitutes, without a doubt, the central nervous system of our vehicles today.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Sorry I didn't have time to read this whole thread, but I'm in the camp that first of all agrees that having stickied tool (maybe by tool) knowledge threads would be a HUGE benefit!

but also that these should follow the format that FTE has established (and other boards tend towards) and that is when an engine or platform has differentiated itself enough (or is on the way and we know it will be), we have a separate forum for it. Then within that forum in the Tech Folder, where we all know to go look First before asking questions (right?! ), we could find the knowledge on the scanning type tools, how to set them up, what is important, etc., for that platform. I end up helping friends with all kinds of Fords and I understand the format, and this would be a great benefit as I can spend hours researching a problem/solution, where I could set up a new vehicle quickly in Torque and set up a dashboard for it, plug it in to a friend's vehicle (or my own) and be able to ask questions WITH DATA, which equals better answers.

Typical day on the 6.0 forum: 10 new people join, 10 others that are sorta' new, and they all start a thread on their 6.0 issue. And the frequent helpers there say: get "a" scan tool and give us these pieces of info back, and meanwhile half the helpers also start telling them how to set the tool up.

Having a place to contribute and get info on Torque Pro (my tool of choice) and be able to send a newbie to, or go to myself when I need to do something I haven't done or found something I want to share, would be killer!

Likewise knowing I could go to the Expy forum and find the right gauges to set up would be just. so. cool...

My $.02 -- I'll have to read the rest when I have time later...

Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
AE runs on wine in linux, and wine is being ported to android, so I imagine that pretty soon AE will be able to run on android.
I have never had luck running OSes from USB sticks, it works, but the sticks seem to die after a short while. You would think theres a high end stick that might last longer, but I have yet to find one.
Weird. I've never had a thumb drive burn out, and not for lack of trying. I still have my "Titanium" 2G stick that was so impressive when I got it. I never buy anything other than SanDisk, what do you use? I also make sure everything I buy is class 10 now. My latest micro SD is 64G, and I know 128G is available. I remember when a 20 Meg large-form hard drive was over $1000, and it took a lot of beaver pelts to trade for $1000.

Actually, it's scary how recently that was - in human years. Technology operates on fly years.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 AM
tonym17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Weird. I've never had a thumb drive burn out, and not for lack of trying. I still have my "Titanium" 2G stick that was so impressive when I got it. I never buy anything other than SanDisk, what do you use? I also make sure everything I buy is class 10 now. My latest micro SD is 64G, and I know 128G is available. I remember when a 20 Meg large-form hard drive was over $1000, and it took a lot of beaver pelts to trade for $1000.

Actually, it's scary how recently that was - in human years. Technology operates on fly years.
Microsecond = The time it takes for your state of the art computer to become obsolete.....

Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tugly

I've tried a few brands. Usually I get everything working, sticks seems a little warm, and after a few hours or a few days, the stick just stops working.
I even stripped the plastic case off so it would cool better, if I try again I'll use a heat sink haha. I haven't explored sd or microsd cards much.
So much stuff is made so cheap now. I also had a few usb to SATA adapters crap out relatively quick. This is just consumer grade off the shelf stuff.

I was poor growing up, first computer was a commodore vic 20, then finally got a suitcase 286 with a 10 mb 6.25" hard drive lol. That thing was amazing, no more saving programs to cassette tapes!!! haha.

Now I run linux mint on every computer, living room, laptop, office, garage, it works great and I was sick of windows and all the BS surrounding it.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Old 04-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have many units similar to this. By the time you put a case on it and some other trinkets, it drives the price up to $60 to $80.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Man, I forgot all about this thread.

So Stewart do you still suggest that I learn about using my New Generation Star scan tool in those "proper tech forums?"
Learning about the tool? No. Learning the best way to use scan tool on a specific engine platform, like our 7.3L PSD rigs? Yes.

I'm not saying my opinion is the only right way, nor am I saying anyone with a differing opinion is a potato head. I'm just saying the best tech answers will be given to the questions posted in the relevant tech forum.

Please think about what I am saying. Don't be just offended.
Those two sentences tells me you didn't comprehend my post because it was very apparent my post didn't primarily address your suggestion, it was more about how you posted. Plus, there's nothing I posted that would make anyone think I was offended. I objected to your condescending tone and sarcastic manner. But I wasn't offended.

But I will dutifully do the expiriment. I will post for help with my New Generation Star scan tool in each of the "proper tech forums" and report back what I find.
Do you find it necessary to post in such an obviously sarcastic manner just because someone questions you and your post?

Interesting, I would have never thought that about you.

You are not potato heads because you are not doing what I want. You are potato heads because scan tools are the future for the computer programmer EE whiz kids and the new uses of scan tools will be on newer vehicles by these kids, and their knowledge will not cross-fertilize to our trucks or filter down to my 1995 Bronco without a top level centralized scan tool forum. Opposition to innovative thinking is often referred to as "Potato Head."
Well, it's good to know that, in your opinion, with regards to how you view this subject point, your thinking has been judged to be, as well as labeled, "Innovative" even if it's you who is doing the judging.

In closing, if the nose fits, wear it.
The nose doesn't fit.

Stating your thoughts, opinions, and conjecture doesn't make it fact, nor will it set the future as you see it, in stone.

All that being said, my opinion is such that, having a catch-all scanner forum may not be a bad thing, but specific questions for a specific engine platform is best asked in the relevant tech forum that covers that specific platform.

In closing try honey, or at least emulate Tug a little bit and his manner of posting....please?

Stewart

Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Hey Stewart: I posted this thread "New Generation STAR (NGS) scan tool" in the following relevant forums. Either nobody has a New Generation Star or isn't using scan tools on OBD trucks. So when I get back to working on the 7.3L, I will have to the opportunity to learn about the NGS on that single engine platform from other FTE members (hopefully not just from Y2KW57, thanks buddy!) in the 7.3L forum. Here are the results of my experiment.

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks: Only one other person besides Y2KW57 posted, and although BubbaJones has been very helpful on many issues, he doesn't use the NGS and I believe was wrong about the NGS's capabilities on OBD (I) vehicles like the EEC-IV PCM based 1995 5.8L. FYI, in my limited use of it, the NGS does in fact read what I would call "PIDS" on the 1995 5.8L. But I am on my own learning it there. No help on that forum.

Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W): Only one response, Conanski, who is brilliant and has helped me and alot of others with our 5.8L's who said:

"With regards to this engine family this engine forum is probably not the right place for it because.

a) It primarily sees questions related to the mechanical components of the engine and not the control/fuel system
b) These engines span way back into the carb only era so many owners will have no need for a scan tool.
c) The EFI system that did appear on these engines doesn't have built-in support for a scan tool."

Again, according to the menu on the Black card in my NGS, there is built in support for the NGS on the 1995 EEC-IV PCM for some stuff. For instance, I can watch voltages of various sensors, etc.

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco: Not one response in the Big Bronco forum:

Misc. - Electrical and Wiring: Franklin2, is the Moderator and the most frequent poster. He is a great guy who is very helpful. However, he is just getting into scan tools. The Electrical and Wiring forum could be great, but it is ignored by most FTE members.

Hey, Stewart and the other Moderators, thank you for all the thankless work you do for us. But I've got a suggestion: FTE should have a top level forum for learning scan tools!

A forum dedicated just to the various scan tools and how to use them (not for a specific engine, PCM or year range) would allow me and others to compare the functionality of the various scan tools. And there will be more scan tools coming out every year, so a place to compare them would likely be helpful to many FTE'ers.

(And Stewart, as one potato head to another, I apologize for coming off harshly. Please don't take offense. My comments are more a reflection on me and my frustration in taking the leap and now impatiently wanting to learn as much as possible asap about scanning.)

Old 04-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
(And Stewart, as one potato head to another, I apologize for coming off harshly. Please don't take offense. My comments are more a reflection on me and my frustration in taking the leap and now impatiently wanting to learn as much as possible asap about scanning.)
Unless someone speaking to my face (not online) and denigrates my family, it usually takes a lot to offend me. This is the 'net and it's always been easy for me to let stuff roll like water off of a ducks back, so no worries there, I wasn't offended.

Thanks for changing the tone of your post. It's much easier to use a post like this, and like Tug composes, to buttress a "pro" point when discussing this topic with the higher ups.

Stewart