1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Dually ideas welcome!! (Hell, do we have a dually thread?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaul
Ooh, I like it. Lots of fabrication, but cool idea!
I admit it... I have issues turning off my gearhead. My imagineering is more or less 24/7.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Axle plate

Do L S mean limited slip?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Another idea....

Instead of just installing dually fenders, widen the entire bed behind the fenders. The widened bedside areas could accommodate auxiliary fuel tanks, an onboard air compressor, auxiliary battery, tool & storage compartments, etc. Also relocate the tail light posts outboard and section to widen the tailgate and rear bumper to be..... w i d e r. Literally, a real "Flareside".
Ooo, now that is one to ponder.. I actually have access to these trucks for days in this part of alabama so panels would be no problem...

Originally Posted by bkaul
Ooh, I like it. Lots of fabrication, but cool idea!
Agreed: -X22

I admit it... I have issues turning off my gearhead. My imagineering is more or less 24/7.
I have been known to work out mechanical issues in my sleep

Wife gets tired of me asking her to pass me tools in my sleep

Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdeshler
Axle plate

Does L S mean limited slip?
Yes...

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
The reason that I put an 89 chassis under my 78 f350 was for the newer suspension and shorter wheel base, plus its lighter. Now that some cash has been freed up I'm picking up a f450 for the rear axle, rims and 460 plus a few other reasons. I tell you this because of the Sterling rear end. If your looking for one look for one thats 96 or newer as its the generation of axle that comes with a longer pinion and is a stronger rear. The next thing to look for is the triple spider gear set up. May as well put a nest on top of the cab as the kitty is going to be there half the time watching you. If I have a surpise free month I might be able to get started on my F350 to and there will be 4, 6 wheeler builds happening. What length is your wheel base, it looks like a stubby in the picks, sure has a nice rake.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
The reason that I put an 89 chassis under my 78 f350 was for the newer suspension and shorter wheel base, plus its lighter. Now that some cash has been freed up I'm picking up a f450 for the rear axle, rims and 460 plus a few other reasons. I tell you this because of the Sterling rear end. If your looking for one look for one thats 96 or newer as its the generation of axle that comes with a longer pinion and is a stronger rear. The next thing to look for is the triple spider gear set up. May as well put a nest on top of the cab as the kitty is going to be there half the time watching you. If I have a surpise free month I might be able to get started on my F350 to and there will be 4, 6 wheeler builds happening. What length is your wheel base, it looks like a stubby in the picks, sure has a nice rake.
Never heard of a triple spider, that sounds like a hoss!

Thanks for the tips on the frame weight..

Yes, puddy (as I call her) always has the #1 spot to observe every snip scrub or screw on everything I do to make sure she approves..

She's here spellchecking me now

[

Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Yes...

Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I think Puddy has a second life you may not know of or she has a doppleganger up here in Alberta. Our chapter leader goes by the same name, curious.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
I think Puddy has a second life you may not know of or she has a doppleganger up here in Alberta. Our chapter leader goes by the same name, curious.

Oh yeah, she is a sly thing!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Super clean truck, no rust

351 I was afraid the squirrels toated away

Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM
greentruck72
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool man, if it was my truck i would do the slight lower, and do the 80's fender thing, i would also be swaping in a 390 if it were me, or a 6.9or 7.3 idi disel, cool truck hope to see more.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:13 PM
TheRedPheonix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont want those locking ring wheels, and you're close to Massachusetts, I'll take them.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by greentruck72
cool man, if it was my truck i would do the slight lower, and do the 80's fender thing, i would also be swaping in a 390 if it were me, or a 6.9or 7.3 idi disel, cool truck hope to see more.
I'm definitely going to pull most of the leafs out of the back for a 4" drop

Iv considered a diesel but I have a 7.3 (real diesel) so I'm pretty contempt there.. I do have dibs on a 460 if the M starts acting up on me..

Originally Posted by TheRedPheonix
If you dont want those locking ring wheels, and you're close to Massachusetts, I'll take them.
I live in lower Alabama, an hour above Mobile

Old 04-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Old Reliable
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I would love to take on of these old dually trucks and make it into a CCLB dually. Put a 7.3L IDI engine in it and use it as an Airstream hauler.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Safer more effective way to lower it would be to flip the front spring perch and remove the overload spring pack. If your not hauling more than 1200lbs you won't be needing your overloads and your over loads only affect your drive ability when they are working with a load on. Your other springs are a different story, start taking them out and the handling in the back end goes away. Theres no sway bar on these trucks and to counter that and to carry the extra base weight you have that large spring pack. Even with a basic regular truck box on your tipping the scales at 6400 - 6800lbs. My dump truck weighed in at 7910 empty and minimal fluids and at that weight I had an inch until the overloads started making contact. Because your using this for pleasure one thing that would help your handling is to relocate your shocks to a more verticle angle in order to get better shock action.

Quick Reply: Dually ideas welcome!! (Hell, do we have a dually thread?)