Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Cant drive Pain!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:48 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cant drive Pain!!

Well I found out today, after months of therapy, that I will need surgrey on my neck. I am at the point that I can no longer sleep and sitting in the truck of on my motorcycle is so painfull I almost pass out.
So I go to see the surgen on the 31st to set up a time. I have 2 bulging disk's in the neck against the spinal cord and I am scared as hell, I have never been cut on in my life.

I know this ain't V10 stuff but OH well.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:02 AM
dcblue84
Freshman User
Cant drive Pain!!

hey buddy,
i hope your surgery goes well. buldging discs are very common in athletes as well and most of them from what i hear come out with 99.9% normal feeling. so i wish you a 100% full healthy recovery.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:46 AM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cant drive Pain!!

Hey, don't worry, you'll do fine
We're all countin' on ya
If ya need anything let us know.

Old 07-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Baja Daze
Senior User
Cant drive Pain!!

Wow. Sorry to hear it. I hope for the best for you.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:34 AM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Cant drive Pain!!

Good Luck! I hope this doesn't affect your posting abilities!

Matt

Old 07-25-2003, 01:24 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cant drive Pain!!

Originally posted by daimon1054
Well I found out today, after months of therapy, that I will need surgrey on my neck. I am at the point that I can no longer sleep and sitting in the truck of on my motorcycle is so painfull I almost pass out.
So I go to see the surgen on the 31st to set up a time. I have 2 bulging disk's in the neck against the spinal cord and I am scared as hell, I have never been cut on in my life.

I know this ain't V10 stuff but OH well.
It's V-10 stuff, you're a V-10'er ! Good luck amigo. Surgeons nowadays have that kind of stuff down to where it's routine. In the past 2 years I've gone under the knife 7 times, it's almost boring now ! The only good thing is, and try and remember this; when they've got you on the table, and they say "Ok this is just gonna relax you" try really hard to stay awake for as long as you can ! It's a great sensation, it's like floating on a cloud (if you can stay awake for more than 3 or 4 seconds). Other than that part it's not all that much fun but rest assured, dr's now are SO GOOD at what they do. And modern medicine is way, way advanced from even 5 years ago. But I'll pray for you bud, take care, let us know when you're back up OK ?

Old 07-25-2003, 07:59 PM
RR 11
Senior User
Cant drive Pain!!

Last November my wife had two disk fused and a plate placed in her neck. She had pain and weakness in her right leg. After 45 days she was able to go back to work and has had very little problems after the surgery. Good luck keep us posted
Rick

Old 07-28-2003, 09:23 PM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
Cant drive Pain!!

I go get cut Friday. If they can go in through the back then they no longer need to fuse the disk but if they go through the front they will fuse them. Won't know till thursday when they run some other test.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Cant drive Pain!!

Can I have your truck?

Hell even the bike in the bed too.

Ok, seriously, I have had the surgery on lower disk and it is no fun, phyisacal therapy is a pain, literaly. Get second opinion. Make sure you are not going to be Training case. Screwing around near major nerve bundles can and do go wrong and parlization are very real outcome a measurable percent of the time.

Buddy, I am trying to scare **** out of you! This is a serious surgery and if the docs are not painting the right picture you could end up with serious problems. Like an Iron Lung if they nick the wrong nerve. This is your life, insist on the truth. Insist on a veteran surgeon.

Good Luck, my family will be praying for you.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Cant drive Pain!!

Originally posted by Fredvon4
Can I have your truck?

Ok, seriously, I have had the surgery on lower disk and it is no fun, phyisacal therapy is a pain, literaly. Get second opinion. Make sure you are not going to be Training case. Screwing around near major nerve bundles can and do go wrong and parlization are very real outcome a measurable percent of the time.

Buddy, I am trying to scare **** out of you! This is a serious surgery and if the docs are not painting the right picture you could end up with serious problems. Like an Iron Lung if they nick the wrong nerve. This is your life, insist on the truth. Insist on a veteran surgeon.

Good Luck, my family will be praying for you.
Very good point, here's another, and I know from experience, from 7 surgeries in 2 years experience; surgeons like to operate, it's what they do, it's their answer to almost every problem. Dentists like to drill teeth, chiropractors like to crack backs, and so on. I read a survey once that said 30% of back surgeries, especially disc surgeries were unneeded. My brother had a bulging disc and of course the surgeon went in and removed that part of the disc. Then he did it again a couple years later, then again. And it never did fix the problem. I'm not saying don't get the surgery, but seriously, at least talk to another doctor, maybe a non-surgeon ? Or maybe a surgeon who cuts as only a last resort. Because surgery is the last resort, or it should be. Once you have surgery there's no options. It's you health, it's your back, it's your livelihood that will be affected. Don't let some 'godlike' surgeon tell you there is no other option. There's always another option. It sounds like you do need to have the surgery, but at least ask some other Dr's. I had a radical knee surgery 20 years ago. And I have been pi$$ed ever since. 5 different Dr's since then have said "well that's not what I would have done". Or "we don't perform that anymore, it didn't work", or so on. Be careful with Dr's, it's just another case to them, but it's YOUR back, and YOUR life. Take care.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:12 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
Cant drive Pain!!

I got oppinions from 2 Chiropractors and 3 different doctors. All said not choice. The disc has moved the spinal column out of location almost crushing it. In fact the Surgeon said for me not to leave the houst till thursday the day I check in. He even told me not to take a shower as the risk of slipping id to great. He did not play the risk down in fact he scared the living crap out of me! I also checked around here with a bunche of nurses that work in Hospitals and he was rated as the best, that is why I am letting him cut on me.
Thanks for the prayers I appreaciate them.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:13 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
Cant drive Pain!!

OH and NO yoyu can't have the bike! even if I gotta put training wheels and handle bars on the back so the old lady can push me I will be riding! lol

Old 07-29-2003, 11:49 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Cant drive Pain!!

Originally posted by daimon1054
I got oppinions from 2 Chiropractors and 3 different doctors. All said not choice. The disc has moved the spinal column out of location almost crushing it. In fact the Surgeon said for me not to leave the houst till thursday the day I check in. He even told me not to take a shower as the risk of slipping id to great. He did not play the risk down in fact he scared the living crap out of me! I also checked around here with a bunche of nurses that work in Hospitals and he was rated as the best, that is why I am letting him cut on me.
Thanks for the prayers I appreaciate them.
Well unlike the majority of people it sounds like you've covered all your bases, so good for you. You also may not know this but you can negotiate with the hospital, tell them you want a 'benefits matching' deal. Where you have no out of pocket expenses, the hosptal just works for what your insurance co. pays. It's done all the time. You can negotiate with your doctor too. Although the doctors have to be careful in how they word their agreement, there's laws against writing off your deductible, it can still be done. But definitely call the hospital and tell them you have your choice of hosptials and you want a deal, they'll do it, or lose your business. At $6,000 a day your 10% adds up fast, so negotiate before you check in. Benefits matching is what you want, you want them to match the deal the 'other hospital' (wink, wink) offered you, trust me, you'll save thousands.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Senior User
Cant drive Pain!!

Good luck and may God bless.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Amblansman
New User
Cant drive Pain!!

Good Luck,
My wife had surgery to fuse two vertebrae and cut out part of the disc almost 6 weeks ago. After the initial post surgical pain died down she has had a complete recovery. Her pain and numbness are all gone and she is doing great. They went in through the front of her neck and for after effects there was only a little tingling on her lower chin like what you get when a dentist numbs you up. Wear your collar religiously after the surgery and heal up quick. Don't drive or take any rides as passenger for as long as you can avoid it.

Good Luck and think positive.