Tall 400 dual plane intake...US made

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:16 PM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kopfenjager
Sorry .... I'm talking 460 ci

. OK... I thought maybe you were going to commit suicide if couldn't find a big bore 400" small block soon... so I tossed out some readily available suggestions... glad you were 'gay'/happy about them... LOL!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kopfenjager
Sorry there is no aftermarket Cleveland block with the 400 deck height, mains and a BBF bell pattern, let alone one with a 4.125 bore. OR I WOULD BUY ONE! I'm talking 428 ci or 454 to 460 ci with a 4.25"stroke not 400ci. And why in the F would I put a Chevy or a goddamn Olds in my Ford? The 403 olds had such small coolant passages it had over heating problems and it has weak *** windowed mains. The 400 Chevy has a laughable rod to stroke ratio let alone the fact ITS A CHEVY. Just try droping a 4.25 stroke in one of those turds and keep a respectable rod too stroke ratio, let alone trying to bolt a chevy or olds engine in a 78 bronco. Things like accessories, headers, tranies and such. I would drop in one of those boat anchor 460 ford strokers first! My god man, that has to be the gayest thing I've read all day. Lol. None the less, the blue thunder takes adapters and are we not talking about a new manifold that wouldn't take adapters?
I have an FMX block and would love for someone to come out with a good, reasonably priced 400 block that has both 385/335 bellhousing bolt patterns and both 335/400 motor mounts. The 400FMX block has 3 of 4 mounting bosses for the 335/SBF motor mounts......why not cast a block with all 4 mounting bosses? Siamese bores with enough meat for a 4.175 max over bore would be nice too. 4.175x4.25 = 465ci Now if someone would offer a 4.375 or 4.5 crank you could build a 479 - 493ci motor based on the 400.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Absolutely! Great idea. Multiple mount bosses would make the block a easier swap into various different applications.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM
PaulT81f150
New User
I would be interested, price dependent, I would have to get it over the border. It would fill a hole in the market, I also like the idea of injector bungs.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 PM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
. I managed to win the bid tonight on this discontinued Holley Street Dominator single plane intake for my Ford 400 buildup...:

Holley Street Dominator Ford 351M 400 Intake Flawless 4 bbl That Big Block | eBay

Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Congrat's. We need someone making good intakes. (Hint, hint, hint Tim.)

Old 04-26-2015, 10:29 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
congrats bro!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:32 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
The best way to do this might be to go directly to Edelbrock and ask them to make you an RPM Air Gap for the 351M/400. You agreed to purchase a given number of units and maintain exclusive rights to it for the first year or two.

As far as the block - there are really a couple of things that SHOULD be addressed. First is priority main oiling. Whatever it takes to do that and metered oiling to each lifter.

The second thing is that the lifter bosses themselves should really be lined up for the splayed valves. More of an issue with the short deck Cleveland, but would still help the 400.

As already noted siamesed bores for maximum bore of ???

It could be interesting, but I just don't see much of a market. A new 4bbl. Intake on the other hand, of any flavor, would generate some interest.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:32 PM
72fordgts
Junior User
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL
. I managed to win the bid tonight on this discontinued Holley Street Dominator single plane intake for my Ford 400 buildup...:

Holley Street Dominator Ford 351M 400 Intake Flawless 4 bbl That Big Block | eBay

I think that was the one I posted on the board earlier? I am glad it went to someone here!

Old 04-27-2015, 04:16 PM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 72fordgts
I think that was the one I posted on the board earlier? I am glad it went to someone here!

. Come to think of it, I did first see it on here... thanks for the reminder...

Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 PM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP
The best way to do this might be to go directly to Edelbrock and ask them to make you an RPM Air Gap for the 351M/400. You agreed to purchase a given number of units and maintain exclusive rights to it for the first year or two.

As far as the block - there are really a couple of things that SHOULD be addressed. First is priority main oiling. Whatever it takes to do that and metered oiling to each lifter.

The second thing is that the lifter bosses themselves should really be lined up for the splayed valves. More of an issue with the short deck Cleveland, but would still help the 400.

As already noted siamesed bores for maximum bore of ???

It could be interesting, but I just don't see much of a market. A new 4bbl. Intake on the other hand, of any flavor, would generate some interest.
No need to talk to Edelbrock, that is why Tim is asking if there is a demand. He has contacts through out the market, to include Australia where the Cleveland survived till early 1983. If he finds enough demand, I'm sure he'll be able to bring it to market.

As for the block....I'd love to have an aftermarket block that fixes the shortcomings of the factory cast blocks but I think there is a smaller market for blocks than there is for a tall-dual plane intake.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 AM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 73XAFalcon
He has contacts through out the market, to include Australia where the Cleveland survived till early 1983.

. Last I saw, GM, Ford, and Chrysler (& Toyota?) were pulling ALL auto manufacturing out of Australia... they could use some new manufacturing orders... I was kinda hoping the Aussie Gov't would finance buying up all the plants and building their own new brands of vehicles to keep their workers in jobs and avoid buying all vehicles from Asia... that would be too much money leaving their country... would sink them like we're sinking...

. Shipping anything is getting killer, though... the seller of the Holley aluminum intake I bought Sunday said it was nearly $40 to ship it too me via FedEx... and UPS and PO were even higher... and it was $4 more than eBay let him charge me to ship it...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM
TMI
Posting Guru
Thank you for your input.
As of about 1 month ago, we purchased the B&A Track Boss intake manifold.
We are having them cast in Wisconsin and machined in house. So this has started my endeavor of creating our own product line.
We are currently working with someone about the tall dual plane as I asked about. We may see the first "Prototype" casting in a month or 2.

Also...as long as it was brought up. We do have (2) block deals in the works.
One deal is a pretty simple, "buy out" that we will own.
But this buy out block will help spring board the 2nd block.

We did a survey on the "TMeyer Facebook Page" maybe 6 months ago.
Some of you may have been there and remember. Very interesting the comments mentioned on the thread details many of the features we are planning on.

I will start another thread dedicated to this block design.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks, Tim! Glad to hear things are progressing for you. With a manifold, blocks, pistons, and a ZF5 conversion package you'll be "the" go-to place for the 335 series engines. Well, actually, you are today. But soon you'll have even more to offer.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
Originally Posted by TMI
Thank you for your input.
As of about 1 month ago, we purchased the B&A Track Boss intake manifold.
We are having them cast in Wisconsin and machined in house. So this has started my endeavor of creating our own product line.
We are currently working with someone about the tall dual plane as I asked about. We may see the first "Prototype" casting in a month or 2.

Also...as long as it was brought up. We do have (2) block deals in the works.
One deal is a pretty simple, "buy out" that we will own.
But this buy out block will help spring board the 2nd block.

We did a survey on the "TMeyer Facebook Page" maybe 6 months ago.
Some of you may have been there and remember. Very interesting the comments mentioned on the thread details many of the features we are planning on.

I will start another thread dedicated to this block design.
The old B&A intakes were the only game in town back in the 80's. I knew of a 351W running 2V Clevo heads and a machined 400 crank....that was 87-88 IIRC.

I'm never on FB so for the block, the FMX block has 3 of 4 Windsor/Cleveland motor mount bosses that are undrilled. IMHO, a good 400 aftermarket block would have both W/C mounting bosses and the 400 bosses plus it would have drilled dual bellhousing bolt patterns. Add taller lifter bores that would allow OEM hydraulic roller lifters and improved oiling plus .165" overbore capability and that would give the buyer a blcok that could bolt into far more cars and trucks without the need to make your own motor mounts. It would open up the block to use by more Mustang guys as it would be a drop in compared to trying to put one into a Stang now.....it was a bear to put my FMX into my XA Falcon.

Quick Reply: Tall 400 dual plane intake...US made