1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2 Problems I need help with

Old 03-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Wrathfulram
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Problems I need help with

Hello, I am not mechanically gifted so I came here to see if you guys could help me out.

I have a 99 XLT 3.0L V6 FlexFuel RWD Ranger and I have 2 problems that need fixing. First is my power steering. Its loud and seems like its not working ( hard to turn the wheel ) I checked the tank and the fluid looks like chocolate milk. Now I know that is not normal. Does anyone have any links on how to drain/flush the power steering system?

My second problem is my brakes/rotors. When I brake the truck/wheel shake pretty hard. I had the rotors resurfaced awhile ago but it seems they are at the end of there life. I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of parts I need to replace everything. How many rotors and brake pads do I need?

Please forgive my ignorance

Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 AM
KF4EYR
Senior User
wheel shake could be from worn out ball joints, tie rod ends, bad out of round tires,,,might be more than just brakes,,, and since you are have trouble with the steering my guesss would be the rack and pinion steering might be the problem,,,

Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Wrathfulram
New User
Originally Posted by KF4EYR
wheel shake could be from worn out ball joints, tie rod ends, bad out of round tires,,,might be more than just brakes,,, and since you are have trouble with the steering my guesss would be the rack and pinion steering might be the problem,,,
Would the wheel shake if im not even moving when I turn it? I drained the steering fluid and replaced it with fresh. I also looked at my ball joined and rod ends but I couldnt really see anything wrong, probably have to take off the tires to inspect the ball joints huh? Tires are perfect.

Here I took a video.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
tie rod ends could be bad.... ball joints wore out, would make it jerk if too lose,,,rack and pinion could be worn or seals in it leaking thru,,,, need to raise front end up and put jack stands under frame and take the tire at 3 oclock and 9 oclock and shake any movement means tie rod ends or rack and pinion,,, shake at 12 oclock and 6 oclock any movement would be ball joints,,,, the ball joints can be looked at with a light and can be seen if worn,,, i just replaced my upper and lower ball joints it was a ok job for me but if you are not mechaniccaly inclined might be a booger,,, ya have to get special tools to push out and push in new ball joints..easily rented or loaned from auto parts place,,,while i had it all apart i replace the wheel bearings and seals on the front hubs too.... just be sure you have an idea what to do with the ball joints because it can get dangerous if done wrong,,,,

Old 04-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Wrathfulram
New User
Thank you all for your help. I checked the ball joints and they seem good, I took her down to les shwab and this is what the found and quoted me:

Brake Rotor x2 = $243.04
BR2 Bearing set x2= $32
BR5 Bearing set x2= $45
CR Seal x2 = $35

Total around $423

He said that my front rotors are terrible and not enough material is left to resurface them considering I had them resurfaced 2 years ago so I understand why.

Is this reasonable or should i buy the parts and do it myself? I have tools but not the experience.

I also replaced the power steering fluid and im still getting the noise and shake when I turn the wheel, he said that there is air trapped in the system.