6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Pin pointing an oil leak help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM
jhaines10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pin pointing an oil leak help please.

Hey guys crawled under the new to me 13 super duty last weekend to see this. Any ideas where it's coming from? Over tightened oil filter maybe? The filter in the picture is the new filter fyi. Old filter had a little oil on it. It's all the way across the back of the oil pan.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:14 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any on the front of the engine? Mine was leaking oil and the drips were landing on the steering. Was the vacuum pump seal if I recall.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 PM
jhaines10
Junior User
No other oil anywhere. Just from the oil filter down, then all the way across the back of the pan to the left. Kind of goes up a little on the left side of the pan also. As seen in pic #2.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Does oil drip on the pavement?

It sorta looks like either the oil filter wasn't tightened enough or blew the gasket seal. Sorta tough to tell from just the pictures.

Might want to clean it up really good and then drive the truck and look and see where fresh oil is accumulating... Other way is to put dye in, idle it or drive it a little and then look with a black light.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 PM
jhaines10
Junior User
No drips on the pavement that I can tell. Some on the pavement but I'm pretty sure they're old. The old filter was on there pretty good. I beat a screwdriver through it to use as leverage to help spin it off. I had to do that 4 times to get it loose enough to thread off by hand. I could only turn it about 1/4 of a turn each time. I'm guessing I turned the filter a full rotation befor I could get it off using both hands. Even then it took all I had and I'm not a little guy by no means. It was on there good!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
When something has more *** than I do, it's on their good, because I sure got a lot of *** myself too...

Anyways, here is what I would do. I would get brake kleen (or whatever your favorite oil cleaner is) and clean off the around the area as good as I can. Then I would watch the area to see if more oil forms after every time I drive the truck. FWIW, A non-dripping on the ground oil problem is seepage, not a leak. Even if you can tell where it is coming from, if a drop doesn't hit the ground warranty won't cover it. (I know this from personal experience - I had to wait until a drop would fall and prove it to get a seal replaced under warranty)

A filter on really tight, could potentially mean it wasn't on good enough and oil shot all over the place, so the temptation was to over correct that and put it on too tight. Or a too tight oil filter compressed the oil gasket too much and caused a leak as well.

Unfortunately, only time will tell. If the truck is under warranty, I would take it to the dealer to have them look at it. Hopefully, If you bought it at a dealer, they might even look at it for free for you. I had some concerns on my new truck and they looked at it twice for me for free and alleviated those concerns. A tech even rode with me so we could make sure some things were working as intended. I call that great service and the reason my next vehicles will be purchased there...

You also didn't state how many miles are on your rig?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 PM
jhaines10
Junior User
Well that's the problem. I drove four hours to the middle of no where Iowa to pick it up from a gm dealer. They had 0 clues about this truck. So they're out. It has 51k on it as it sits. I'll have to wait for the weekend to clean it up but I'll give that a shot.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
I agree with giving it a good clean job and then watch it closely to see were the source of the leak is. BTW it's very rare to hear about oil leaks on these 6.7's.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
You are still under the motor warranty - so you should be able to get your local Ford dealer to take a look. My only concern is that if it is because of a bad filter install you won't be covered under warranty and they may charge you to take a look at it. I would try to rule that out - but if you are still leaking oil. I would take that chance.

You could also while you are there have the dealer pull an Oasis report on the truck to see what has already been done to it. (if anything)

On Edit: Troy's comment is why I think it was just the oil filter leaking... As I don't think I have heard of a leaking 6.7... Now if you said you had a leaking radiator...

Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 PM
jhaines10
Junior User
Alright I'll grab some cleaner tomorrow and hit it good. Headed on a 150 mile trip Friday night. I'm guessing if I have a leak it'll show up by then. I was wondering how the warranty worked on something like that. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
If you have a dealer issue, give Crystal (Ford Customer Service) a holler.

Mainly just trying to save you time going to the dealer. Unless I have to, I don't like going!

Post back and let us know what happens.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
the way that stain goes up on the drivers side upwards by the oil cooler makes me think its coming from above dripping down. oil leaks are a pain to diagnose. I'm with the other guys clean it and keep an eye on it. let us know.

have you checked that the oil pan bolts are torqued? could be a bad seal from the oil pan which is a cheap and easy fix.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 PM
jhaines10
Junior User
Originally Posted by Blapensee
the way that stain goes up on the drivers side upwards by the oil cooler makes me think its coming from above dripping down. oil leaks are a pain to diagnose. I'm with the other guys clean it and keep an eye on it. let us know.

have you checked that the oil pan bolts are torqued? could be a bad seal from the oil pan which is a cheap and easy fix.
Myself seeing it in person thinks it's coming from the passenger side. I did look up and above the filter but couldn't see anything. The back two passenger side oil pan bolts had the most oil on them before I wiped them off. I'll be sure to post what I find in the next few days. Anyone know what the torque speck is on the bolts?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
One way that filter should have been on there that tight. It might have been the problem. To me I would clean and watch as well.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
One thing to know about these trucks, is that when you change the filter(without puncturing it first), is that a lot of oil can gush out around the filter, and onto the passenger side of the engine/oilpan. Especially if you change it when the oil is hot.

I've also noticed the last couple oil changes that the gasket from the old filter stays on the engine. Its possible that the prior owner had that happen, and make a mess. Those stains dont look overly wet either, however it is odd how it goes up on both sides of the bell housing.

Clean it up, and keep an eye on it. Based on how overly dirty that engine looks, an entire engine bay degreasing would be in order if it were mine.

Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Pin pointing an oil leak help please.