Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Back up camera

Need some advice on a good license plate mounted camera and a rear view mirror to go along with it.

Are Gentex still the go to brand for good mirrors? Any advice on the brand of camera? I'd prefer one with the lines on it and a pretty good picture instead of some of those fish eye views where you can't really tell what you're looking at.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Not what you ask exactly, but I bought Yada 5 in from Costco.
Has 5 inch monitor and is wireless.

Not bad for the $120. Problem is it doesn't like to sink up 42 degree and below. It will but takes a few times.

Wired mine to switch so I can turn on anytime.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Chris, I haven't seen anyone talk about any other mirror brands at all. At the same time, I haven't seen anyone talk at all about rear view interior mirrors in the last couple of years. That leaves me with the assumption that Gentex is still the brand. If there is something better, I'd certainly like to know as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought and installed a tailgate handle camera to go with my 2013 tailgate and a compass, temperature monitor auto dimming mirror. Wanted to get homelink as well but too expensive for that. Camera works great, shows parking lines and you can clip the wire and make them go away. I supposed you could also wire a switch to make the parking lines show and disappear on command.

For license plate cameras, I bought a 30 dollar one off amazon and it worked for 4 years until i got this setup. I just drilled a hole in the bumper symmetric to the spare tire hole.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, I didn't go with the rear view mirror model. I did a Yada brand like petrokiller posted above but went with the 4.3" version on Amazon for $118. 14' from camera to display in the Excursion and have not had any connection problems with it, even in the cold weather.

Amazon.com: Yada Digital Wireless Backup Camera with 4.3" Dash Monitor: Automotive Amazon.com: Yada Digital Wireless Backup Camera with 4.3" Dash Monitor: Automotive

They do offer a rear view mirror monitor part # BT53355F-1. Not sure about the quality or resolution of this unit.

I like the clean look of the rear view mirror models but chose the larger display version after recent back surgery.

These reviews really helped me sort through the options out there:

Rear-View Cameras Review 2015 | Best Backup Cameras

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
almost forgot the important part to me.......

good picture, easy camera to install and the reviews said:

"This camera is waterproof to a rating of IPx7, which means it can withstand total immersion in up to one meter of water for 30 minutes. This will be especially useful for boat owners because it means you can use the Yada camera to back a boat into the water. It also means the camera will be impervious to rain or snow."

Old 03-25-2015, 06:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i went with a plate mount camera, but also put a pioneer head unit in and hooked the camera to it.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have a Boyo hooked into my head unit, so I can't speak to the rear view mirror unit. I can say this: The color/IR units do better at night, and it helps if IR illumination is built into the camera.

The backup camera needs to see a very wide angle to catch everything behind the vehicle at close range, so it needs a fish-eye lens to do this. A flat image means a narrow field of view, and everything except what's directly behind the hitch will be out of the camera sight. This type of lens is good for seeing things at a distance more clearly, but that would make the camera no better than a conventional rear view mirror, except for hitching up to a trailer.

It's expensive to get away from the fish-eye effect, but it can be done. You would need lens correction processing in the camera or the display to "straighten out" the bends.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
I bought the Peak wireless unit at Menards back around Christmas....$99 after rebate. It is wireless so susceptible to interference depending where you are, but so far mine has worked when I needed it. Wireless camera mounts to the license plate and nice windshield mount monitor.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
So lots of general recommendations, but no specific ones?

I do appreciate the input so far, just looking for specific brands for the license plate camera. And any input on a mirror cheaper than Gentex.

This is for a car, not one of the trucks. I've got the Gentex self diming mirror that does temperature display and direction in my truck. The wife has the Gentex self dimming mirror that has back up camera and all the other stuff in her truck, but we used a bigger camera and mounted it in one of the holes for the license plate lights.

Don't have any holes on the car, so I'm looking at the license plate frame ones. Seems like they're $30 or $100. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between these two price points?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
...Seems like they're $30 or $100. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between these two price points?
Yes. The picture quality, the "waterproofness", the durability - all are effected by price.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
I gave a specific....brand Peak, available at Menards. For $99 and being wireless, I am happy with the results. It mounts to the license plate frame, so no holes.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...673-c-9098.htm

Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Take a look at this link Chris, has good reviews on a variety of setups.

Rear-View Cameras Review 2015 | Best Backup Cameras

It lists the Peak one that Sowaxeman posted above, now they are available for$75. Good ratings and 110 degree viewing angle - but the wireless signal is analog and can be susceptible to interference, plus no night vision. Easily mounts to the license plate mounting holes.

The Yada (#3) on the review has a bit better camera with night vision and a digital wireless signal so it isn't susceptible to interference like the analog ones. $120 - mounts to the license plate itself. Rear view mirror option available but don't know the cost.

But neither of these are rear view mirror displays.

The AGPtek rear view mirror setup (#8) is worth considering - camera got very good reviews, wireless (but analog), a bit smaller viewing angle, but shouldn't matter for a sedan - and only $50

Old 03-26-2015, 12:30 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Researching and deciding on a backup camera was a total pain in the a$$ when I went through it...............options, wireless or wired, resolution, grid lines or no grid lines, camera viewing angle, camera mounting, light or dark beer - etc,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sowaxeman
I gave a specific....brand Peak, available at Menards. For $99 and being wireless, I am happy with the results. It mounts to the license plate frame, so no holes.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...673-c-9098.htm
Yes you did. Thanks for that, but the closest Menards is around 400 miles or so from me, and I'd prefer one I can wire into a rear view mirror.

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Thanks for the link Rich. I'll go and do some reading.

Quick Reply: Back up camera