Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4X4 Highway Manners TTB vs Straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:03 PM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i tried giving away a bunch of D50 TTB setup over the years, no takers. they all went to the scrap yard.
I bought a Dana 50 TTB setup from a guy on Craigslist for $120. I'm regearing my Bronco to 4.10s, and the Dana 50 had 4.10s, so I wanted the differential to bolt onto my Bronco's stock D44 TTB system. I also wanted the stronger stub shaft.

Anyway, I took off the parts I wanted and sold the rest. I sold the axle shafts for $120 and made all my money back. Then I sold the spindles, knuckles, and hubs and made another $250. I scrapped the rotors, calipers, and some other small stuff and made another $13. I still have the bare axle beams which I'm trying to sell, but I'll probably end up scrapping them and make another $10 or so. That Dana 50 was the best thing I ever bought for my truck.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ttb-parts.html

Not sure why you had so much trouble selling your parts. I listed all my stuff on eBay and had no trouble selling them. I just priced my stuff lower than everyone else's and did "buy it now only" auctions. When people see the low price AND it's buy it now only, they know someone else could ****** it up at any time, so that encourages them to buy it before someone else does.

Oh yeah, and once I install the Dana 50 differential and stub shaft, I'll be selling my stock Dana 44 diff and stub shaft and make at least another $150-200.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:14 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
if i remember correctly, dana 50 and dana 44 do not use the same carriers or gear sets.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
FarmallCub
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing that I could add to the converting a 2wd 150 to a 4wd is that from the years that this thread (87-96) is on, the frames were the same. The F150 frame has a lot of holes in it, from what I understand was to lighten it. However, the rest of the frame is the same. I remember calling Ford several years back and they verified that. The only thing would be the shackles would have to be either welded on, bolted, or riveted on, but the holes should be there... And according to my Chilton manual, they all shared the same drive line. 4.9/5.0/5.8/7.5, E4OD, BW1356 with the different sized axles for the tonnage of the truck. Although I don't remember an F150 coming with a 460... Or did they?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:23 PM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
if i remember correctly, dana 50 and dana 44 do not use the same carriers or gear sets.
You're right, they don't. But you can take the entire Dana 50 differential (including the housing, you don't even remove the gears or carrier or anything) and bolt the entire Dana 50 housing onto a Dana 44 axle beam.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:26 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
ahhh. ok. i don't really mess with the TTB stuff except to remove it to put solid axles in.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Just what was said above. No one wants used TTB parts so it stands to reason that if someone wanted them they'd be cheaper from a junkyard or from the remains of someone's parts truck than a highly sought after Dana 60. But of course the price of used parts is completely determined by the value the seller thinks they are intersecting with the value the buyer sees in them. Which is why I said "might".

edit: There's another way a TTB is cheaper too. It wasn't what I was originally thinking, and it doesn't apply to Steve's pending conversion. But I have an F-250 with the TTB. I'd prefer a solid axle, but it's cheaper for me to stick with what I've got. Obvious that the cost of converting a TTB to a solid axle needs to be taken into account if considering a swap, but hey, I might as well state the obvious.

You said PARTS, not a whole axle. And since the D50 TTB and Dana 60 use MANY of the same parts, they re the same cost. IE, wheel bearings, hubs, ball joints, U joints, locking hubs etc. They re the same cost. but the 60 is actually CHEAPer because the same parts(ball joints) last 3-4 time longer than in a D50TTB.

I stand by my statement earlier NOTHING about the TTB is better than the Dana 60 solid axle, including cost

Old 03-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You said PARTS, not a whole axle. And since the D50 TTB and Dana 60 use MANY of the same parts, they re the same cost. IE, wheel bearings, hubs, ball joints, U joints, locking hubs etc. They re the same cost. but the 60 is actually CHEAPer because the same parts(ball joints) last 3-4 time longer than in a D50TTB.

I stand by my statement earlier NOTHING about the TTB is better than the Dana 60 solid axle, including cost
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant parts for a swap, not parts for maintenance. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that a TTB would be cheaper to maintain.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant parts for a swap, not parts for maintenance. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that a TTB would be cheaper to maintain.
Ok, I thought that is what you meant

Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
I'll take a dana 50 ttb for the street or ballin through rough terrain. Someone with a dana 60 wouldn't be able to follow me. . .

there are some instances where a ttb > solid. TTBs are more finicky, no doubt, but setup properly the ride quality can't be matched. Ask too much of it while towing, you'll have horrible steering. Just wanna fly over bumps? Nothing (4x4) massed produced is better.....period.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:07 PM
broncoderek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
Just wanna fly over bumps? Nothing (4x4) massed produced is better.....period.
I like where you're heading here!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
I'll take a dana 50 ttb for the street or ballin through rough terrain. Someone with a dana 60 wouldn't be able to follow me. . .

there are some instances where a ttb > solid. TTBs are more finicky, no doubt, but setup properly the ride quality can't be matched. Ask too much of it while towing, you'll have horrible steering. Just wanna fly over bumps? Nothing (4x4) massed produced is better.....period.
I'll agree that a COIL sprung TTB is great for going fast over rough terrain. Especially if modified well it will have more wheel travel than any other IFS system, and less unsprung weight than any solid axle system. It's the gold standard for go-fast 4WD.

But a stock LEAF sprung TTB has less wheel travel than a stock solid axle, and they can't be modified to give significant wheel travel. The best I can say about the F-250s leaf spring TTB is that it's not so bad that everyone needs to run out and replace it. But it's worse than either a solid axle or a coil spring TTB for everything.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:33 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
I'll agree that a COIL sprung TTB is great for going fast over rough terrain. Especially if modified well it will have more wheel travel than any other IFS system, and less unsprung weight than any solid axle system. It's the gold standard for go-fast 4WD.

But a stock LEAF sprung TTB has less wheel travel than a stock solid axle, and they can't be modified to give significant wheel travel. The best I can say about the F-250s leaf spring TTB is that it's not so bad that everyone needs to run out and replace it. But it's worse than either a solid axle or a coil spring TTB for everything.
Not true about the leaf springs. With a little lift and some spring tuning it is a long travel high articulation setup. Yea, the leaf springs don't take as well as coils to high arc (spring twist) but I've set up a few in my day, including one I ran for ~7 years, and there's no comparison between a setup ttb leaf sprung and a solid.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Not true about the leaf springs. With a little lift and some spring tuning it is a long travel high articulation setup. Yea, the leaf springs don't take as well as coils to high arc (spring twist) but I've set up a few in my day, including one I ran for ~7 years, and there's no comparison between a setup ttb leaf sprung and a solid.
If you've got around the basic geometry problem of a leaf spring TTB then more power to you. The swing arm won't let the wheel move front-to-back but it forces it to move right-to-left as it moves up and down. Meanwhile the leaf spring doesn't really like the tire to move right-to-left, but it forces it to move front-to-back as it goes up and down. The problem here is obvious. It works OK as long as both the swing arm and the leaf spring are about horizontal, but the only way you get any wheel travel beyond that is from bushing flex. It's as bad as trying to get an early Bronco front end to articulate!