Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2003, 11:42 PM
New User

pmccvip is starting off with a positive reputation.
98 Ranger Suspension Squeaks

98 Ranger 3.0 w/ 112000 miles - starting at about 50000 miles the front suspension starting squeaking when I go over speed bumps or entering/existing parking lots. Noticed that it goes away when its raining. Is it just the bushings squeaking?...I can't find any grease fittings to lube anywhere under the truck. Thanks in advance for any insight.

pmccvip
Old 07-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Senior User

brianjwilson is starting off with a positive reputation.

I was just about to post the same type of question. My 98 4x4 with 75k miles has started squeaking about a week ago and is getting progressively worse. I've checked but also found no grease fittings. Hasn't rained here recently so no comments on that. The squeak is heard when the suspension is compressed quickly (big bump, or smaller bumps when I'm going faster). So far, I haven't been able to make it squeak when parked. Tried bouncing the front up and down and all over the place with no luck. Almost led me to believe that the wheel might be moving forward and back in the wheel wheel due to a bad bushing or something, but there doesn't appear to be any play in the wheel. No visible leaking from the shocks or anything either. The shocks are getting weaker and older though, pretty sure they are original. Hoping to get it fixed VERY soon since I'm driving 350 miles Sat night - Sun morning. Haven't had time to take it to a shop yet. Thanks for any help.
By the way, pmccvip, you didn't mention if your truck was 4x2 or 4x4.

Brian J Wilson
Old 07-25-2003, 08:09 AM
New User

pmccvip is starting off with a positive reputation.

Sorry about not mentioning that my truck is 4x2, but I have done the same thing as you Brian as far as bouncing it up and down when the truck is parked and I can't reproduce the sound. I think the sound has to be coming from some bushing in the suspension, but since I can't reproduce when parked I have no idea which one(s) might be the culprit. When it started around 50K I was concerned but since I now have 112K I've gotten used to it. I just assumed it was related to the "permanently lubricated" bushings. Posted here wondering if others had figured out how to stop it.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Elder User

Scooter29 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey Guys, You may want to replace some bushings. Some guys stick to the original style, because of cost and some replace them with Polyurethane. Since you can't reproduce the sound when parked, it leads me to beleive that it's your front sway bars. They are also the cheapest and easiest to cange. New rubber is ok, but the poly's have zerk fittings so you can grease them. Get a set for the mounts to the bar and for the endlinks. About 20.00. Talk with you guys later....

Support FTE Check Out the Online Store
Old 07-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Senior User

brianjwilson is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thanks for the reply... I'll try and find some polyurethane bushing when I get back I guess. Any reccommended vendors?

Thanks again,
Brian J Wilson
Old 07-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Elder User

Scooter29 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm supposed to recommend vendors that sponsor the site, but I don't know right now if there are. Energy Supension, ADDCO,Hotchkis, Competition Engineering, Suspension Techniques. I'm sorry if I forgot to mention someone. I'll be better next time... Talk to you guys later.....

Support FTE Check Out the Online Store
Old 07-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Elder User

PSKSAM2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PSKSAM2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

When my ball joints started squeaking, I had some luck pulling back the rubber boot and packing some grease in the bottom with my fingers. Then I just spun the wheel back and forth a few times to work it in a little. It was messy, and not at all the "correct" way to do it, but it kept the squeaks away until I could get them replaced.

I have a stock set (rubber) of Lower Control Arm Bushings for a '98 Ranger/B-series 4x4 that I never put on if anyone is interested, PM me, I can save you the special ordering hassle.

02 Mustang GT
98 B4000 SE 4 4x4 Auto

No single raindrop feels that it is responsible for the flood.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
98, f150, front, ranger, suspension