Sponsored by:

mounting a winch

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
I see, makes more sense knowing you have the third seat removed.
OH...yea, no way it would have been big enough without removing the seats. The idea was to be able to hold a rifle case in one of the drawers, and two drawers to be able to use it as a command post when we deploy...

Idea would be to run that mounting track along the top wood surface, bolted through, then strap the winch down using that. Track bolted to frame, frame bolted to base and truck...should be somewhat safe in a wreck, but I wouldn't carry it around daily unless deployed...would be a fuel drain I don't need and take up space where the wife would want to fill with - stuff.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:10 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
OH...yea, no way it would have been big enough without removing the seats. The idea was to be able to hold a rifle case in one of the drawers, and two drawers to be able to use it as a command post when we deploy...

Idea would be to run that mounting track along the top wood surface, bolted through, then strap the winch down using that. Track bolted to frame, frame bolted to base and truck...should be somewhat safe in a wreck, but I wouldn't carry it around daily unless deployed...would be a fuel drain I don't need and take up space where the wife would want to fill with - stuff.

You made a nice setup!
It looks like it will work well for years.
I like those gun vaults but really have a valid reason for one or the room. You look to have saved a ton of money as well.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM
PGC
New User
I just got my truck and am trying to decide if I want to put a winch on it. As I have a PTO on the truck that would be an option. Any suggestions on an electric vs. a PTO winch?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You have a pto on your excursion? Did you swap in a truck transmission or what?

Ptos are great for commercial use. Use the engine power. Can pull all day. High speed, too. Not my first choice for stuck truck use because on most transmission ptos, you can't engage the pto with the truck in drive, which means your can't spin the tires during recovery to assist the recovery. I also have serious doubts about the ability to run a pto shaft from the transmission to the front bumper on an excursion. They are a tight squeeze in older trucks with way more room. The excursion just doesn't have anywhere for the shaft to go.

If you're dead set on using the pto you could run a pto hydraulic pump and a hydraulic winch. Expensive and a lot of work unless it's something you're gonna use nearly every day or you're using to make money.

For occasional stuck truck or sliding logs around, it's hard to beat the ease of install and low price of an electric winch. And they work great for those type of things.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 PM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Since my bumper is painted and rusty at the bottom I am just going to make my own winch mount. I looked up the parts.
Warn 76256 Trans4mer Grille Guard - Black $718
WARN 29394 Trans4mer Winch Carrier $135
I can buy a whole lot of steel for $850.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
The fab fours winch mount is a little cheaper. Not saying this is a good seller or price. But thus is at least what it looks like.http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=221391734402&alt=web

Apparently fab fours will sell them directly for 470 with free shipping.

Will always he cheapest to make you own of course.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:15 PM
PGC
New User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
You have a pto on your excursion? Did you swap in a truck transmission or what?

Ptos are great for commercial use. Use the engine power. Can pull all day. High speed, too. Not my first choice for stuck truck use because on most transmission ptos, you can't engage the pto with the truck in drive, which means your can't spin the tires during recovery to assist the recovery. I also have serious doubts about the ability to run a pto shaft from the transmission to the front bumper on an excursion. They are a tight squeeze in older trucks with way more room. The excursion just doesn't have anywhere for the shaft to go.

If you're dead set on using the pto you could run a pto hydraulic pump and a hydraulic winch. Expensive and a lot of work unless it's something you're gonna use nearly every day or you're using to make money.

For occasional stuck truck or sliding logs around, it's hard to beat the ease of install and low price of an electric winch. And they work great for those type of things.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Actually I have a new 2015 F-350 so the PTO is functional even with the transmission in gear. I apologize for posting in the Excursion thread, didn't pick up on that. Clearly the electric option is a lot less complicated. I haven't reality priced anything yet but I imagine it's cheaper too.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 PM
tennesseex
Freshman User
Will the fab fours mount shown fit the excursion? I emailed them about it last year and they said they did not know as they had never tried to mount one an ex. If it will fit I'll probably buy one. Pretty budget friendly.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Aside from the blocker beam (which unbolts. And at some point was standard on the f250 too iirc) the excursion should be identical to the f250 up front. So it should fit fine.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:35 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
The fab fours winch mount is a little cheaper. Not saying this is a good seller or price. But thus is at least what it looks like.http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...734402&alt=web

Apparently fab fours will sell them directly for 470 with free shipping.

Will always he cheapest to make you own of course.
Thanks. I checked the link and it is now $570 but...... I have the winch mount I built to go on the front of my Jeep that I made out of 8 inch angle iron. I am pretty sure I can adapt that pretty easily and it has a built in push bar. I will see if I can find a pic of it.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:07 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
That link is $570 but it's elsewhere for less. That link just has a good picture of it. That's why I said that link doesn't have the best price.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:54 PM
azex2001
Junior User
wouldn't that block the air flow to the cooler behind that opening?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:26 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Ok, I located a pic of the mount I made for the Jeep. I think I can adapt this to the front of my F250.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:39 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
The tow hooks bolt on with three big *** bolts. I'd think you could use some 1/2" steel plate cut to about 4" wide by 8 or 10" long rectangular brackets, drill it out to the pattern of the tow hooks, and remove the tow hooks and bolt it in place, then weld or bolt your winch mount to that. If you bolt it on, drill the 1/2 plate on both ends and then run grade 8 hardware through the bottom plate of your winch mount, through the 1/2 plate brackets, and back into the factory tow hooks so you can retain them.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 PM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
The tow hooks bolt on with three big *** bolts. I'd think you could use some 1/2" steel plate cut to about 4" wide by 8 or 10" long rectangular brackets, drill it out to the pattern of the tow hooks, and remove the tow hooks and bolt it in place, then weld or bolt your winch mount to that. If you bolt it on, drill the 1/2 plate on both ends and then run grade 8 hardware through the bottom plate of your winch mount, through the 1/2 plate brackets, and back into the factory tow hooks so you can retain them.
Sort of what I had in mind. Thanks. I just need to find time to set the winch up on a floor jack and move it into position so I can see what needs to be done.

Quick Reply: mounting a winch