1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 f1 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 AM
black04
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
51 f1 project

New to this forum, names Andy.Figured I'd post up my newest and oldest truck. Looks like the forum to find the info I'll need to get it done. So far I've cleaned out the interior and pulled the front sheet metal,and just been assessing what I'll need to do to get it on the road.Definitely some sheetmetal work in the floor, but overall the truck is real solid, came out of Nebraska.Not real straight though,unfortunately. I had hoped on getting the flathead going, definitely has merc heads and possibly the whole engine(the block is green/blue? like the heads,anyhow), but mice had packed the whole crankcase full of nesting material and the bottom end is pretty badly rusted.I'll get some pics of it all as i go along, no idea on a timeline, it'll happen as money and time allow. I'd love to get to drive it this summer though.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 AM
black04
New User
One thing I'll definitely need quick is a front axle, hopefully someone here who has gone IFS already has one for sale. The truck is missing everything from the leafspring mounts down, including steering draglink. So anyone looking to get rid of one feel free to let me know, it would make moving it around way easier and even though staying stock isn't in my long term goals having one now would go a long way to driving it this summer.... I appreciate any offers or leads in advance.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:01 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome Andy! I had seem the listing for that truck and am glad it has the right new owner. You'll help everyone with a location (add it by selecting the 'User CP' option, just up the page) in your profile. There usually is a source for every part need. I'm certain you'll find a match.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Welcome to FTE! The best place anywhere for these old trucks.
Those parts are out there, shipping will be your most difficult task.
This summer is an ambitious schedule, be sure to keep us informed of your progress with lots of pictures.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Glad to see another one being saved. Yes, we would love to see pictures of your progress.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:29 PM
black04
New User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Welcome to FTE! The best place anywhere for these old trucks.
Those parts are out there, shipping will be your most difficult task.
This summer is an ambitious schedule, be sure to keep us informed of your progress with lots of pictures.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome, yes the summer is pretty ambitious but always best to set goals,not necessarily shooting for completion but mobile under it's own power would be nice. I had hoped the flathead was gonna be useable without much money because i really wanted to see what the truck was like back when. I've never drove something flathead powered, and would like the experience and then could use the truck while getting stuff together.
I'm still kinda deciding what I want exactly. It won't be a full resto,I don't have the time or money at this stage in life.I'm a fan of the patina(much to some people's chagrin lol) so that will probably stay for a long time.It's also a cost cutting measure as I have the tools and ability mechanically/suspension/fab-wise but bodywork I've never done. I want it solid,all mounts/bushings/isolators new, modern suspension and brakes, underside sealed and rustproofed,and interior redone.Drivetrain is up in the air at the moment.As mentioned ill try the flathead, but will be looking for a deal on something else,preferably ford but open to gm as well. For now I'm trolling on here and elsewhere for ideas. I'll get some teardown and damage pics up, I work an 8 day on 6 off schedule so every other week I have a fair amount of free time depending on side work/home projects.
I'm in Crown Point,IN. Or just outside it actually, anyhow I updated my profile. I'm up for a drive as far as the front end goes so long as price makes sense. Found one in Missouri but thats a little far,like add a couple days and couple hundred in fuel to the purchase price. Got to be one closer than that.But if it comes down to it...

Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You've got a decent truck to start the process. Should be someone with a stock axle on here, might start a Wanted thread to catch their eyes. Also check the Classifieds. Best to find one close to you, shipping would be killer. Depending what your long term goals are, might be time to consider a Jaguar IFS, it bolts in quickly.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 PM
1950FordF1
Senior User
Two good looking trucks there, welcome aboard.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM
johnnydevil55
Senior User
Welcome to the forum! I have a spare front axle with everything, but i'm in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Shipping would be outrageous!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:49 PM
black04
New User
Originally Posted by johnnydevil55
Welcome to the forum! I have a spare front axle with everything, but i'm in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Shipping would be outrageous!
Little closer than Missouri,though. I'll keep it in mind if nothing else close pops up. Never been to Pittsburgh, me and the fiance could hang out there for the night, grab the axle the next morning and head back. Could be a way of justifying the extra expense. I appreciate the info. I'm not able to post in the "wanted to buy" section but once i can we'll see what comes up in there. I also need to check some of the junkyards around locally with older inventory yet.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM
PRO49FORD
Senior User
Nice looking truck Andy

Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice looking truck. Did you check this listing in Indianapolis?:

48-52 Ford F1 truck frame

Guy supposedly has the complete frame. I know where there's a guy in Louisville parting out an f-5 frame, but I don't think that's gonna work for a F1

Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 PM
black04
New User
Originally Posted by JPMallory
Nice looking truck. Did you check this listing in Indianapolis?:

48-52 Ford F1 truck frame

Guy supposedly has the complete frame. I know where there's a guy in Louisville parting out an f-5 frame, but I don't think that's gonna work for a F1
No I hadn't seen it, looking into it now. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:53 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by black04
No I hadn't seen it, looking into it now. Thanks for the heads up.
That's something we are great about here; helping our buddies spend money on their trucks.

If you need a higher post count to post in wanted to buy, just post up some more pictures. One picture per post will get your count up quickly and we will thank you for it.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Daddybass
New User
Pictures are the candy that feeds F(L)atheads! Looks like Great Fun!

Last edited by Daddybass; 03-25-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: picture change

Quick Reply: 51 f1 project