1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why isn't my check engine light coming on?

Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 AM
corksil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why isn't my check engine light coming on?

2002 F350 7.3 PSD. 192k miles.

From my understanding, a CEL is supposed to illuminate each time you turn the ignition ON as part of normal startup procedure.

I figured the previous owner must have pulled out the bulb to hide the fact that the truck had a few "issues" before selling it, so today I pulled out the gauge cluster and it looked as if the CEL bulb was a tiny LED soldered directly into the gauge cluster itself. There were a few serviceable/removable bulbs for things like turn signal indicators, high-beam etc... but the CEL did not have a serviceable/removable bulb.

I've been driving this truck and working through it's "issues" and fixing things as I go, but it keeps throwing codes without the CEL illuminating.

What's going on here?

I thought the check-engine-light was supposed to illuminate each time the ignition was turned on, and that it would come on each and every time the vehicle registered a fault code in the ECU/PCM.

Help!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess would be open LED.

They do fail.

As for repair......got any pictures? You may be able to solder in a new one, or find someone who can.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
If it reads open both ways it's bad.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
Good luck

Old 03-23-2015, 10:14 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I power-up my truck, I get the Service Engine Soon light for about 1 sec.

I do have several codes stored in the PCM at any given time and the SES does not stay illuminated post the 1 sec.

Is there a separate Check Engine Light depending upon the year model or PCM or is it the same thing as SES?

Old 03-23-2015, 10:19 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Same thing

Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 PM
corksil
Senior User
So what is the conclusion here? Burned out LED?

It's soldered directly onto the printed circuit board of the gauge cluster.

I didn't see any burn marks, signs of electrical short/arc -- nothing looked to be wrong with the tiny LED on the board and I didn't see anything else wrong anywhere else.

I need to fix this.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:57 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to clarify, your light doesn't illuminate AT ALL, correct?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM
corksil
Senior User
That is correct.

There are a number of other lights in the cluster which I have NEVER seen illuminate. The other ones say "Check Susp" - "Check Gage" then there is one for a speed limiter something-or-other...

Is there any way to trigger all the gauge cluster lights to come on for diagnostic purposes?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:06 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
I figured the previous owner must have pulled out the bulb to hide the fact that the truck had a few "issues" before selling it, so today I pulled out the gauge cluster and it looked as if the CEL bulb was a tiny LED soldered directly into the gauge cluster itself. There were a few serviceable/removable bulbs for things like turn signal indicators, high-beam etc... but the CEL did not have a serviceable/removable bulb.
That just sounds weird to me otherwise I would say bulb is burned out but ?? why wouldnt the PO just put burned bulb in rather than solder a tiny led

Old 03-23-2015, 03:05 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hanklin
That just sounds weird to me otherwise I would say bulb is burned out but ?? why wouldnt the PO just put burned bulb in rather than solder a tiny led
Sometime in late 01 they transitioned to a integrated digital panel. I have seen people who repair them on line (I think it may be one of the sponsors here) but they escape me for now. Unfortunately, the entire cluster has to be replaced.

If I think about it, I may recall whom it is.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:26 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Tom, that makes sense

Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
You can try to enter the HEC Dealer Test Mode by holding the trip reset button for 5 seconds and turning the key to accessories while still holding the button. The display should say "Test Mode", all lights activate and gauges sweep. If it doesn't enter test mode, you'll need some repair work.

I'm still brainstorming on who repairs them. I've never used them. But another Tech at work says he's had a lot of luck with them being repaired.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
I have the same thing with water in fuel light, doesn't turn on in accessory. CEL works fine though.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM
corksil
Senior User
Originally Posted by whitetmw
You can try to enter the HEC Dealer Test Mode by holding the trip reset button for 5 seconds and turning the key to accessories while still holding the button. The display should say "Test Mode", all lights activate and gauges sweep. If it doesn't enter test mode, you'll need some repair work.

I'm still brainstorming on who repairs them. I've never used them. But another Tech at work says he's had a lot of luck with them being repaired.
I'm walking outside to try this right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why isn't my check engine light coming on?