Fitting up my new running boards

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:41 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Fitting up my new running boards

Slowly gaining momentum on my panel truck. As I have mentioned before I like to keep a truck together as much as possible as I work on it. I know the correct way is to take the body off the frame and get in there and fix everything for good, but I have learned I'm more of a 'fixer' than a 'restorer'. One of my other quirks is I have to fix the ugliest, rustiest parts first because I can't stand looking at them. This has nothing to do with the logical order of things. They also need to run as soon as possible so as not to dominate my one and only auto repair bay. While the crankshaft is on the mainland getting ground, I decided to tackle the ugliest, most rotten part of my panel. The running boards. I have come up with a nice usable pair and primered them yesterday and mocked them up this morning just for my viewing pleasure. There is obviously rust repair needed on most of the adjoining sheet metal and that will be next, but for now just wanted to post up some of todays pics, starting with the old running boards that I removed with a torch, a sawzall and a cuttoff wheel. It was not fun working under the vehicle and I saw no possible way to 'properly' swap out the running boards of the panel truck without removing the body off the frame, so in the words of Frank Sinatra, "I did it my way"..

Attached Images      
Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, that's a big improvement!

Do it however it makes you happy...

Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
The panel's running boards are the same as the tonner pickup with the exception of a hole in the panel's driver side for the filler neck. These running boards have an 'S' shaped section acting as a slash apron and sitting on top of the frame. On the panel there is only about 3/4" clearance between the truck's body and the riveted on running board brackets. It would be impossible to snake these in and out through that narrow slot. Hence my new boards have no splash apron because I could never have installed them. The rear fenders are mostly just bent up where they meet the running boards, and being very rare items, I am going to straighten them out and weld in some new metal where I need to. For the fronts I am holding out for a whole new front clip from a big truck. Just before I got the panel there was a very nice cab and all front sheet metal from a '46 1 1/2 ton for sale in Spokane for 600 bucks. A buddy wanted the cab for his pickup so we would split 300.00 each. We took too long to figure it out and missed them. I can always fix what I have and replace later if something good comes up.

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Gary, have I got a deal for you.............

I bought this truck(the blue one) last fall for the flatbed, with no idea what I'd do with the rest of the truck. It's super clean....

Old 03-22-2015, 10:52 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I'm dropping off my '37 tomorrow on the mainland. Yes I sold it. That means I will be on the mainland with an empty trailer! But alas I have a really busy work week ahead. So it has a good cab too for my buddy? Maybe he and I could do a cannonball run this spring. PM me with the details.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
fordf5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running boards look great.
Did you ever get all the valves you need?
....Roger

Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Just now arrived home from a trip to the big scary mainland and at the mailbox at the end of my driveway was a box containing just the right valves from our friend Scott, better known as Tinman. Yay!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:47 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Here's a couple of pics of my running boards before I primed them.

Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Okay, you fooled me.......I had no idea those were wood! Even though you mentioned before you were making them from wood. They look good enough to be the real Ford parts.

VERY impressive!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Had us all fooled, but you did give the hint I know. I guess the outer edges are standard shaper bit profiles that you use on table tops? You sure do nice work. Ever thought of directing your talent to work on a woodie? I've had a dream of building an F-3 M-H woodie. Stu

Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Hey Mr. Tinman - is that your stable of old trucks? Great photo.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:17 AM
44jailbar
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Boards

Had me fooled down under in New Zealand as well. It is amazing what a true wood working craftsman can produce. Just had a look at your web sight Gary and you certainly produce some incredible furniture etc. I envy your skill and talent.

Grant

Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks guys. I admit I did the post this way to see if I could fool you. I thought about labeling the post 'Bring a Magnet' or 'Would you buy a used car from this man?'. I have had a dream for the last 15 years of building a woodie. My hope and dream is to build a 40 ford 4x4 woodie on my '79 toyota fj 55 wagon chassis. It is exactly the right width, close in wheelbase and has very tough engine and running gear along with power disc brakes, power steering and 3.73 axles. I would do this project with the purpose of selling it. I picture a bed and breakfast in Aspen or Jackson Hole buying it to pick up guests at the airport or better yet, the train station. The toyota's body is very rough. I just saw where a '40 ford MH woodie sold for a quarter million at auction, so yes Stu, I'm all over it !

Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by Tedster9
Hey Mr. Tinman - is that your stable of old trucks? Great photo.
No they are not mine....but they are all for sale. Wish I had money/room for all of them.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
That 1940 would be this one from Nick Alexander's big collection.

This 38, or is it a 39 Standard(?), didn't meet reserve last year.

Here's the Campbell Midstates brochure picture. Stu

Quick Reply: Fitting up my new running boards